How can you transfer money from a bank account in Jakarta, Indonesia from a bank in Thailand?

I have a bank account in Indonesia that I no longer use and no longer have any bank cards for but has some money left in it. When I opened the account it was ANZ bank but last year they were taken over by DBS bank, meaning my online internet banking account with ANZ is no longer active. I called the DBS head office in Indonesia and they told me there are no DBS branches in Thailand and the nearest one is in Hong Kong. But they said I could go to my bank in Thailand and transfer the money to there with my DBS account number and their sort code, I tried UOB and Bangkok Bank and they both said it wasn't possible. Is there anyway of getting my money transferred to Thailand without having to go to Hong Kong or Indonesia as at the moment I've hit a dead end.

Thanks Maca

It may be possible to close the Indonesian account and have the outstanding balance transferred to an account of your choice in another country (all forms sent  via courier, i.e. account closure form, withdrawal request, passport copy).

I did it once before for a bank in Dubai, it seemed like a never ending process (2-3 months), but it did work eventually without me being physically present.

You are wasting your time talking to banks in Thailand, there is nothing they can do. You should explore if your Indonesian bank will allow you to use the option explained above.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Yes, you need to be dealing with the bank holding your money right now....getting them to initiate a transfer.  

Trying to get another bank to pull the funds in this situation is like trying to push a string.   In expect UOB and Bangkok Bank probably really thought "why doesn't he contact the bank with his funds to initiate the transfer?"    Yes, I know your bank said to contact a Thai bank, but that probably wasn't good advice.

• Like 1