My First Extension of Stay - My Experience at Jomtien

56 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The income letter must be less that a month old, regardless of what other may tell you, including the UK Embassy. 

This is new. It has  been 6 months for many years.

55 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I didn't need an agent, I don't really know who does.

Did they take your picture when you pick up your passport? I think you still need to pick up the passport yourself if you use an agent...so why bother.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

This is new. It has  been 6 months for many years.

Did they take your picture when you pick up your passport? I think you still need to pick up the passport yourself if you use an agent...so why bother.

They did yes, 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Please yourself mate, I have the extension and they were quite clear about what they wanted,  Don't follow the advice at your peril, personally I don't care one way or the other , I'm just passing on what was said to me ( there was no 'miscommunication as you call it') and what happened.  if you can detect my irritation with your unhelpful  post, you are dead on.       

WHO  exactly told you this?

This change, if true (I think NOT true) would be devastating for many retired expats.

Americans for example are competing for very limited appointment slots at the embassy. Then there are the consular visits to Pattaya from the U.S. embassy which typically come every six months. Many, many people would simply be unable to do their future extensions if this change is real. 

I will start a new thread. I totally don't believe the information that you think is true (no disrespect intended, I get it you are passing on info from someone else) but it's important enough even if probably incorrect to get fresh reports.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing

Mr Pilotman.
Well done on posting this up to date information...lots of people will find it very useful.
Don't get pissed at the few that always have to find something wrong with a post. You have to remember some of these guys live for 'replies' and have their fingers ready to type as soon as a new topic opens.
So keep up the good work, and I personally like a person that checks all the ins and outs before applying.
Well done from me.
Let the others open their own thread on the topic they don't believe and you (and I) can read it from the sidelines.
Good evening..
Let's be careful.
It is good that he posted his report.
But that doesn't mean the info he posted actually reflects their policies.
For example the change in the income letter requirement is probably not true.
He may have been told that by an intake officer but that doesn't necessarily mean their policy has actually changed.
Which is why I started a new thread to smoke out the actual truth so that it can be confirmed.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Having sweated on this for the best part of 3 years and then mildly panicking about it as the time drew near, I obtained my first Extension of Stay based on Retirement today at the Jomtien office.  To aid others, I wanted to share what was required and how it went .

The background: I have been in LOS on a one year  Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage.  I left the Kingdom each 90 days of that year and the 90 day stay was then renewed. The visa ran out in April and I was on my last stamp, valid until 3rd June., so it was either go home and renew the visa ( not really practical and very expensive), go to a near by country and get a new visa, again expensive and a real hassle judging by the reports, or go for it and get an extension of stay based on retirement ( I didn't want the performance that a marriage extension seems to attract, including home visits)  .  My options were then to do it myself, or employ an agent.  I thought that it  surely couldn't be too difficult to do myself and the agents quotes were between 10, 000 and 23,000 to do it for me. So, do it myself was the chosen route. The information on this forum was very helpful and a big thank you to all who contribute to it. . 

I don't have a bank account in LOS (we put our money through my wife's account) and all of the utility bills, the car and the motor bike are in her name, so I had no documentation to support residence or funds.  So I obtained:

an income letter from the UK Embassy ( did that by e mail using my P 60s and Tax return as evidence of income.  The letter arrived in 4 days)
my wife went to a local lawyer and obtained a letter confirming that we were married and that I lived at our address.  This was notarised.  Cost 1,000 Bhat.  Took less than a day to get it. 

I then prepared my documentation, all originals, plus photo copies, which were as follows:

Passport,  picture page , visa page, plus every Thai Immigration stamp for the year's validity of the visa.
Departure card.
Notification to Immigration of an alien staying at my home address ( me! )
TM 7
One photo affixed to the TM 7 with glue (not staple!)
Income letter (they kept the original and didn't want a copy)
Copy of the notarised proof or address, plus my wife's ID card and her entry in the Tabian Bann   ( she was not with me at Immigration)

After   a restless night,  planning what to do if I didn't get an extension by 3rd June, I pitched  up at Jomtien Immigration at 0930.  There was no queue at all, indeed the  place was almost empty of customers. I presented my documents to a very pleasant young man on desk 8,  who went through them very quickly, got me to sign each of the docs, gave me a green card to get my passport back next day and that was it.  I was in and out in under 15 minutes, shell shocked and extremely relieved.  Went back today, again no queue and very few customers, presented my green card and walked off with my passport, duly stamped with a years extension of stay based on retirement to 3rd June 2019. 

Once I have gathered my wits, I will photo copy the Extension and go back to get my Multi Re Entry Permit and proof of Residence for the driving licence people. Which by the easy, Jomtien are still issuing. 

In conclusion. It was easy once I was clear what was required
I didn't need an agent, I don't really know who does.
The Immigration staff were efficient and business like. 
The income letter must be less that a month old, regardless of what other may tell you, including the UK Embassy.
Getting the letter is simple if you use e mail
You don't need a Thai bank account

Next challenge is the first 90 day report, but I'm relaxed about that.  For now !!

I hope this helps others to avoid the anxiety I have felt for quite some time. 

Thanks for the info.
Can I ask when you sent your email did you send scanned copies of your tax return and P60 and attach them? Is that acceptable?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Rarebear said:

Where would one get a notarised document saying where they lived?  That is a new one on me and no one has asked me for that before.  

We just went to a local lawyer and gave him the wording we wanted.  he then produced two documents, one in English one in Thai , my wife signed both and then they were and notarised .   The wording went :

This is to certify that my husband xxxxxxxxxxx lives with me at xxxxxxxxxxxx .  I certify that I am the lgal owner of this property.

Signed xxxxx

The copies I gave to immigration were of both of these documents, plus the lawyers certificate, a copy of the Tabian Bann entry for my wife and a copy of her ID card, all stapled together  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Can I ask when you sent your email did you send scanned copies of your tax return and P60 and attach them? Is that acceptable?

Yes it is acceptable and it is the only way to do it by email.

See: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671934/Pension_04_01_2018.pdf

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Thanks for the info.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes I did.  On the Embassy web site, they give you an e mail address to send your scanned copies.  I sent :

three P60s

My tax return final page

passport scan

request form details (you get this form on the web site)

payment form (paid by credit card)

It took 6 separate e Mails to send all of the scanned copies as the e m ail address in-box capacity is limited.  I got an e mail acknowledgement of each of the 6 e mails by return.  It is a very easy and quick process.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Yes I did.  On the Embassy web site, they give you an e mail address to send your scanned copies.  I sent :

three P60s

My tax return final page

passport scan

request form details (you get this form on the web site)

payment form (paid by credit card)

It took 6 separate e Mails to send all of the scanned copies as the e m ail address in-box capacity is limited.  I got an e mail acknowledgement of each of the 6 e mails by return.  It is a very easy and quick process.  

That's great info thanks 

16 hours ago, Rarebear said:

Where would one get a notarised document saying where they lived?  That is a new one on me and no one has asked me for that before.  

A Yellow Tabiya Ban might prove to be useful in this regard!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rossd said:

A Yellow Tabiya Ban might prove to be useful in this regard!

i'm in CM,  but for drivers license a Residence certificate is required......which is issued by , guess who?

the Immigration dept.   It is free ....but here they make you wait 2 weeks to pick up ( if you pay for it, you get it right away)    TIT    to get the cert you need certain documents.... (one here being tm30)   

Check with your immig dept for how it works there

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

i'm in CM,  but for drivers license a Residence certificate is required......which is issued by , guess who?

the Immigration dept.   It is free ....but here they make you wait 2 weeks to pick up ( if you pay for it, you get it right away)    TIT    to get the cert you need certain documents.... (one here being tm30)   

Check with your immig dept for how it works there

I have my yellow book and use it for all immigration procedures, I have been in Thailand for over 30 years and have never had a problem with immigration except for one incident a the Sadao border point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

We just went to a local lawyer and gave him the wording we wanted.  he then produced two documents, one in English one in Thai , my wife signed both and then they were and notarised .   The wording went :

This is to certify that my husband xxxxxxxxxxx lives with me at xxxxxxxxxxxx .  I certify that I am the lgal owner of this property.

Signed xxxxx

The copies I gave to immigration were of both of these documents, plus the lawyers certificate, a copy of the Tabian Bann entry for my wife and a copy of her ID card, all stapled together  

I am not in your area, but just to give you full credit and the trouble you took in drafting and sharing all the information that would be useful to many.

Just ignore the usual jealous and sour who bait and bicker and give them a one way notorized invitation to your ignore list.

Have a nice day.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I am not in your area, but just to give you full credit and the trouble you took in drafting and sharing all the information that would be useful to many.

Just ignore the usual jealous and sour who bait and bicker and give them a one way notorized invitation to your ignore list.

Have a nice day.

fully agree with you.......but do give a little slack to those us who are bored and try to inject a little humor

into this internet world.  Non-malicious humor, that is !

Lots of jealous and sour out there.... and a few good men too

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Signed xxxxx

Since this is a new requirement in addition to the T 28/30 (or whatever the current number is) for a retirement extension how much does a lawyer cost to draw up the papers and sign them and I assume a paid Thai witness if one is not married?

Forgive me I've only gotten 18 retirement extensions so I'm not up on the residence requirements as I've only ever been asked for a lease or rental contract. 

Edited by Rarebear

46 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Since this is a new requirement in addition to the T 28/30 (or whatever the current number is) for a retirement extension how much does a lawyer cost to draw up the papers and sign them and I assume a paid Thai witness if one is not married?

Forgive me I've only gotten 18 retirement extensions so I'm not up on the residence requirements as I've only ever been asked for a lease or rental contract. 

It's not a new requirement.  It was suggested  to me as a way to prove  my address, as all of our bills are in my wife's name.  The cost was 1,000 Baht and no independent witness was involved. 

Edited by Pilotman
added info