Getting an International Driving Permit from my Thai 2 year temp motorbike license, possible !?

Agusts

"Getting an International Driving Permit from my Thai 2 year temp motorbike license, possible !?"

Legally, no.

The rules are explicit.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Nah, not at all! There are some good reasons for that.

A doctor in Thailand is not recognized as a doctor in other countries. (We shall all be grateful all eternity for that)

A criminal in Thailand would be laughed at by criminals in other countries.

Not even a 7-11 worker would be able to keep their work in the same chain, if they worked in euorope or the states instead.

So, back to your question, Thailand has the highest mortallity on the roads per 100000 people in the world, so a driver with a Thai license is like everything else. Not recognized by the rest of the world.

I am sorry if I made a joke at the same time too, just couldn´t resist. :sorry:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Get Real said:

A doctor in Thailand is not recognized as a doctor in other countries. (We shall all be grateful all eternity for that)

Not even a 7-11 worker would be able to keep their work in the same chain, if they worked in euorope or the states instead.

So, back to your question, Thailand has the highest mortallity on the roads per 100000 people in the world, so a driver with a Thai license is like everything else. Not recognized by the rest of the world.

A doctor being recognized or not has nothing to do with this. Also there are many countries (for example most european countries) that recognize the Thai driver license as long as you get an IDP for it. And with a 5 year Thai license, you can get an International Driving Permit. Just not with the 2 year one as far as I know.

I have a 5 year Thai driving  car licence  and I have used it for hiring a car in the uk ,no IDP needed  ,they just ticked  the I am a tourist box on the form  .

If you could ride a bike with a Thai bike licence ,which I doubt , you would need an IDP.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 10:12 PM, Get Real said:

so a driver with a Thai license is like everything else. Not recognized by the rest of the world.

That's completely wrong...

You can get an IDP with a full 5yr Thai licence.

In the U.K, I can drive on my Thai licence without an IDP.

You will generally not be issued an IDP on a 2yr Thai licence.

• Like 2

That's interesting,  so you guys can drive a car in UK with a 5 year car Thai license without IDP...!  I didn't think they were so relax about this in UK.  I know you can use some English language licenses in some countries without IDP,  but Thai in UK is a bit odd. 

In any case I'm interested in motorbike license,  I already have UK driving license,  but not motorbike one.... 

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

That's interesting,  so you guys can drive a car in UK with a 5 year car Thai license without IDP...!  I didn't think they were so relax about this in UK.  I know you can use some English language licenses in some countries without IDP,  but Thai in UK is a bit odd. 

In any case I'm interested in motorbike license,  I already have UK driving license,  but not motorbike one.... 

I have a UK license, and I wanted to hire a car, but I could not prove that I lived at the address on my licence, it is my flat but rented out the whole time, so nothing is in my name,so I said can I use my Thai driving licence they said yes and they classed me as a tourist .

But, if I bought a car and used Thai license to drive it that could be different, ie would the insurance be valid?

Cornishcarlos does not say if hire's or buy's a car.

In for example Germany the Thai license plus a translation in German is also valid, doesn't have to be the official IDP, so it's possible to drive with the two years license. Probably other EU countries use the same rules.

But there are some limitations like only up to 6 months and when you acquired the Thai license you must have had your permanent residence outside of Germany.

UK does indeed seem to have very relaxed rules, any license up to 12 months.

Edited by jackdd

My wife drove on her Thai car licence and I rode on my Thai bike licence whilst doing the UK one's, I think if I remember correctly you have a year to update to the UK one but it is legal to do so but it does cause issues with insurance and makes it very expensive

The benefit is you can ride or drive without L plates or use the car without me having to be with the missus but it is just a bridging move allowing you to get legal with the UK licence. There are quite a few places where you can just swap the foreign licence for a UK one but for obvious reason's LoS aint one of them, tbh I was quite surprised that they give you a year seeing the absolute shambles that is Thai driving...

I had used a Thai driving licence to rent a car on one holiday years ago as my UK one had the wrong address on so it's all legal and above board and there was no need for IDP as there is English translation on the Thai licence

On 6/4/2018 at 12:15 PM, Agusts said:

An IDP is simply a translation of your licence into different languages.

My Thai licence is in English, therefore the U.K doesn't require an English translation of an English language licence.

This is for hiring a car, I think if you buy a car it would be the same but only up to a year...

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, Get Real said:

I guess I have been told different, so I have to correct myself. Appearently you can get an IDP with a Thai licence. My opinion, though, stands on the point that nobody with a licence issued in this country, should even be allowed near a product equipped with an enigine in another country.

Heading back to the UK next week for 20 days. My mother added me to her insurance, £20 for the duration. Insurance company wanted copies of my Thai licence and my Thai address, no problem and no need for IDP.