Power relay failure from Laos causes outage in Bangkok

rooster59

Power relay failure from Laos causes outage in Bangkok

Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK, 1 June 2018 (NNT) – A temporary failure of an electricity relay system from Laos caused a power outage in some areas of Bangkok. 

Metropolitan Electricity Authority's (MEA) Corporate Communication Director Jaturong Suriyasasin said the power outage in areas served by the MEA at 13:07 today was caused by the failure in the electricity relaying system. 

He said the MEA's power relay system from generators in Laos had failed, causing the Under Frequency relays to discard some 1,300 MW of power out of the grid, while the domestic power generating capacity could not maintain the power supply. 

The power outage did not occur at important places, while the MEA managed to recover the power supply from 13:50. 

The general public experiencing the power outage or malfunction can inform the MEA using the MEA Smart Life Application available on the App Store and Google Play. The public also call Hotline MEA 1130 around the clock.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-02

42 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

from a country no bigger than metro Bangkok?

You have somewhat inflated idea about metro Bangkok in terms of area.

As far as I know most of the capital to build the power plants came from Thailand or 3rd countries.

Isan depends heavy on Laos hydropower.

I know a country in Europe (biggest economy) that will be dependent on buying power from about everywhere in a couple of years :whistling:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

So, big, "We're the greatest country on earth" Thailand, has to buy electricity from a country no bigger than metro Bangkok?

I'll be back when I stop laughing. 

Even the Good 'ole US of A imports power from its neighbours.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_02_13.html

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

So, big, "We're the greatest country on earth" Thailand, has to buy electricity from a country no bigger than metro Bangkok?

Laos 238000 square km - You can stop laughing now

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The power outage did not occur at important places,

According to Thai press reports all of Thailand, every province, lost power due to this.  But I guess none of that is important?

• Haha 1

According to Thai press reports all of Thailand, every province, lost power due to this.  But I guess none of that is important?
Thats interesting there was a big power cut yesterday in the Jomtien (Chonburi) area about that time too.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You have somewhat inflated idea about metro Bangkok in terms of area.

As far as I know most of the capital to build the power plants came from Thailand or 3rd countries.

Isan depends heavy on Laos hydropower.

I know a country in Europe (biggest economy) that will be dependent on buying power from about everywhere in a couple of years :whistling:

The Utilities Company’s are foreign owned in that self same country, one of the owners of an of an Energy supplier is the French Government who along the Chinese are building a Nuclear Power Station and will be charging three times the current rate per unit.

The Railways are no different, the majority of the Franchises are owned by foreign governments.

Edited by Crossy
Fixed the quote
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I don't know the pattern but we were not affected.

On the other hand the outage had effects down to Phuket!!

(another news thread)

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Even the Good 'ole US of A imports power from its neighbours.

Basically all of Europe is interconnected.

"50hertz" is one of four companies that manage most of the exchange. A highly secured monitoring/control center (redundant backup at another site).

In the US it would be called "60hertz" :biggrin:

All under the hood of:

"European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity", ENTSOE.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I really think some of you people need to research the energy deal between Laos and Thailand before attacking your key board! It's a win win for both countries.

Or would you rather more fossil/hydrocarbon fueled power stations around Bangkok?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Had to laugh at you. The power plants you are talking about are built, owned and operated by Thai Companies including Ch Karnchang. EGAT owned generators supply cheap power to the Thai grid. Thailand is also constructing power plants in Vietnam, Myanmar and Japan

Edited by Estrada
Added info

Guest Jerry787
On 6/2/2018 at 11:25 AM, Just1Voice said:

this guy shall purchase as Asean map or simply google ..... Lao PDR data.
and by the way majority if electricity produced in Lao and sold to Thailand its generated by Thai companies

what about you use your fingers for something else....  before go to the keyboard ? maybe. get another singha or leo beer to ensure a proper round beer belly its well kept .... instead or senseless comment ?

farang mai lou luan... hahahah