if anyone attacks my dog

On 6/2/2018 at 1:28 PM, Familyonthemove said:

Not saying this is the case here - but many dog owners seem to feel that everyone else needs to adjust their actions (and tolerance to noise) just because of their hobby.

Except for guide dogs or other working dogs, nobody 'needs' to have a dog.

Similar to smokers, drone pilots, noisy bike owners and durian eaters - it"s your responsibility to not cause your hobby to impact on other people's lives.

In Thailand??? tell them that about the music too whilst your at it....thanks

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2018 at 5:04 PM, vogie said:

Yorkshire terriers were bred to kill rats and mice in the Yorkshire woolen mills, although small they are not a docile dog, I know my mother had one and it bit the Insurance man on his weekly visits.

Did he have insurance for dog bites ?

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 4:08 PM, Arjen said:

100% correct.

We have 13 dogs. Our Alpha has nowadays a hard time to defend his position. He is old (16 years), bad eyesight and deaf. But still Alpha. Not many fights. Sometimes a bit growling. 

Recently this happenend between our Alpha and a much younger dog, just growling, while they walked away from me. I interfered, with some assistance from my leg, ("please boys, stop this stupid behavior", but then in my own language, what sounds ofcourse much better) Both dogs turned around, "Alpha" got my leg. And he got it good. A wound from ten cm long, up to the bone and 4 cm wide. He hardly has teeth....

Oh and yes, he is still around. He is our most friendly dog, I trust him 100%  I am the one who approached these two dogs on a wrong way, on the wrong moment.

I had a similar experience a few years ago.

Long story short, one of my (medium sized) dogs seriously disliked the new, insecure, medium sized, rescued dog that joined our family - and they had a few, horrible fights.

I wasn't at all frightened about grabbing both of them to stop the fights until.... I made a horrible mistake that resulted in them being nose to nose - as my arms were crossed....The 'old' dog ended up not only biting me with serious intent, but even shaking her head from side to side (to hurt me more badly!) so that I would release her from my grip ☹️.

It was entirely my fault as (quite apart from making a serious mistake on that occasion, that resulted in them being nose to nose), I'd misunderstood all the 'dynamics' involved....

Fortunately, I started watching/paying more attention to the 'Dog Whisperer' programmes at this point and realised that I needed to be 'the boss' in our family.  Obviously all dogs need to be treated differently, but strong willed/insecure dogs aren't keen on democracies....they need a 'leader'.

During my 'love and exercise only' period, two of my dogs seriously hurt a couple of strangers' dogs - but we were very lucky as the owners also loved dogs,  and forgave us.  I can't thank them enough for being so forgiving.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 6:08 PM, Arjen said:

Not sure what you mean with this?

It was a (thinly veiled)  insult against those that love their pets.

I know, we should ignore these losers - until they start commenting on this section of the forum.

• Thanks 1

"Your accident is a different story, as it sounds to me the dog really attacked you to prevent you from interfering between him, and his opponent. That is a bit scary, but also solvable."

It was very scary, as I'd never previously been frightened about separating dogs fighting - and it took me a while to get my confidence back.

BUT, as I said, I can entirely understand why it happened.  Two dogs who have been fighting -  left literally nose to nose is never a good situation...

I misread and misunderstood - added to which -  I had never been considered anything close the 'leader', so the 'old' dog felt that she had to take care of herself - on top of the level 10 anger and aggression towards the dog fighting her....

One of those few 'unbelievable' moments - but at least it forced me to understand and learn from the experience.

1 hour ago, Arjen said:

Dogs need to know who is the boss. The dog who bit me clearly made a mistake, initiated by me.

Dogs are very clever. In many dog conflict situations they use the presences of humans to their advantage. The wannabee male did not know this and your alpha thought you were the wannabee. Your alpha was ready to exploit the situation but by the sound of it got the wrong leg. 

As to the OP. It is not very manly to kick dogs. It is in fact quite stupid as it puts part of your body within easy reach of them. 

BTW I assume everyone on here knows that to chase off unwanted attention from local dogs simply bend down and pretend to pick up a stone. You don't need to carry a stick! Does not work for pet dogs! 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1