Shengen Visa

If myTGF gets a Shengen visa to a European country for say 1 month and does not return to Thailand for say 6 months what are the consequences. When she gets back to Thailand does she have to notify the authorities…. Come on Guy's, You KNOW what I am asking here, any advice or tips appreciated

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

If myTGF gets a Shengen visa to a European country for say 1 month and does not return to Thailand for say 6 months what are the consequences. When she gets back to Thailand does she have to notify the authorities…. Come on Guy's, You KNOW what I am asking here, any advice or tips appreciated

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

She can come and go into and out of Thailand at will. It is no business of the government whatsoever where she goes and when she goes

Ok Dr. my question is?

if my TGF get a S' visa for 1 month and does not return to Thailand for 6 months will this appear on her record and will it affect her chances of getting a visa next time. Who keeps track fot the comming and goings of Thai nationals???

It might well affect her in the future! My Thai GF got a 6 months Visitor's visa for the UK. She intended to stay only 1 week but was forced to stay for 4 months because I had a business problem in the UK. I thought this was fine for her because she had a 6 months visa, with no restriction on number of entries or length of visit during that period.

But when we applied again for a new 6 months Visitor's visa this was refused because the Brtitish authorities were aware how long her previous visit had been. Although it was my actions that caused her to stay for 4 months, their view was that she had mislead the immigration guys by staing her INTENTION was only to stay 1 week.

Ok Dr. my question is?

if my TGF get a S' visa for 1 month and does not return to Thailand for 6 months will this appear on her record and will it affect her chances of getting a visa next time. Who keeps track fot the comming and goings of Thai nationals???

Most likely this is going to get her blacklisted and she will not get a chance to travel on a Schengen visa again.

If she leaves a Schengen country the passport will be checked and a departure stamp applied. Obviously, it will be immeditaley noted that the time difference between the arrival stamp and the departure stamp is 6 months a period that is GENERALLY not in accordance with Schengen law allowing only 90 days maximum within a 180 days period. She may get arrested, questioned, deported and for sure blacklisted for Schengen.

Assuming it is a Monday and the overstay gets overlooked and she makes it back to Thailand. Surely no problem to return to her home country because the Thai officiers obviously do not care about visa laws in foreign countries because they most likely have all hand full with keeping up with Thai legislation.

Next time, however, a Schengen visa is applied for a form needs to be filled in. One question is whether in the past a visa has been applied for and whether there were previous stays in Schengen states (from... to...). The very moment of truth. Lying (that can easily be traced by a simple look in the passsport and/or into the computer system) will ban her to ever get a Schengen visa again but so will telling the truth (admitting the overstay). Getting a visa under Schengen rules can be kissed goodbye for once and forever. Options remaining: Marry your TGF to get her again to your homecounty, move to Thailand or look out for a new girldfriend not being blacklisted. Judge for yourself whether those 6 months in the Schengen states are actually worth that price.

It might well affect her in the future! My Thai GF got a 6 months Visitor's visa for the UK. She intended to stay only 1 week but was forced to stay for 4 months because I had a business problem in the UK.  I thought this was fine for her because she had a 6 months visa, with no restriction on number of entries or length of visit during that period.

But when we applied again for a new 6 months Visitor's visa this was refused because the Brtitish authorities were aware how long her previous visit had been.  Although it was my actions that caused her to stay for 4 months, their view was that she had mislead the immigration guys by staing her INTENTION was only to stay 1 week.

Had the same issue with my mother-in-law who stayed for 6 months on her 6 month visa after saying she would only come for 3 months (back when we lived there).

However, I think when it's a family visit, although they do still query the "overstay", they are more understanding of it (at least they issued another visa).

However, I think if you had documentary evidence of the reason for overstay, the embassy may look better on the application, assuming there was nothing on the original application that was preventing her from staying for 4 months, like a job she was supposed to come back to.

They can be lenient on the next trip if they want as they can now state on the visa that it only permits entry for 2 weeks, or one month... - i.e. part of the reason for "overstays" in the past is that people see the entry stamp says 6 months, and if something caused plans to change once in the UK, they assumed they were OK to change their tickets. (Although telling the embassy it's their fault she overstayed would probably be counterproductive. :o )

It would be a lot worse if she had genuinely overstayed. At the moment, her 6 month visa for the UK and 4 month stay almost certainly means less hassles in getting visas to go to other countries.

DaDanan - Honestly - if she goes, and comes back on time. Merely the fact that she has had a previous visa, and stayed only as long as she said she would, will make getting her next visa a lot easier. Overstaying a visa would almost certainly cause her huge problems going anywhere that required a visa, at least until she has a new passport. (and that wouldn't help with Schengen because the machine-readable information would stay the same, and they'd have the record of the previous visa in the computer).

• 5 months later...
It might well affect her in the future! My Thai GF got a 6 months Visitor's visa for the UK. She intended to stay only 1 week but was forced to stay for 4 months because I had a business problem in the UK.  I thought this was fine for her because she had a 6 months visa, with no restriction on number of entries or length of visit during that period.

But when we applied again for a new 6 months Visitor's visa this was refused because the Brtitish authorities were aware how long her previous visit had been.  Although it was my actions that caused her to stay for 4 months, their view was that she had mislead the immigration guys by staing her INTENTION was only to stay 1 week.

Had the same issue with my mother-in-law who stayed for 6 months on her 6 month visa after saying she would only come for 3 months (back when we lived there).

However, I think when it's a family visit, although they do still query the "overstay", they are more understanding of it (at least they issued another visa).

However, I think if you had documentary evidence of the reason for overstay, the embassy may look better on the application, assuming there was nothing on the original application that was preventing her from staying for 4 months, like a job she was supposed to come back to.

They can be lenient on the next trip if they want as they can now state on the visa that it only permits entry for 2 weeks, or one month... - i.e. part of the reason for "overstays" in the past is that people see the entry stamp says 6 months, and if something caused plans to change once in the UK, they assumed they were OK to change their tickets. (Although telling the embassy it's their fault she overstayed would probably be counterproductive. :o )

It would be a lot worse if she had genuinely overstayed. At the moment, her 6 month visa for the UK and 4 month stay almost certainly means less hassles in getting visas to go to other countries.

DaDanan - Honestly - if she goes, and comes back on time. Merely the fact that she has had a previous visa, and stayed only as long as she said she would, will make getting her next visa a lot easier. Overstaying a visa would almost certainly cause her huge problems going anywhere that required a visa, at least until she has a new passport. (and that wouldn't help with Schengen because the machine-readable information would stay the same, and they'd have the record of the previous visa in the computer).

Dr Pat Pong wrote:

She can come and go into and out of Thailand at will. It is no business of the government whatsoever where she goes and when she goes

This is a little misleading. Before my wife and kids got their UK passports their Thai passports were ALWAYS checked for the appropriate visas on leaving Thailand. On one occasion the airport staff misread the visa and were going to refuse my wife entry to the departures area and therefore the plane! It took about ten minutes of explanation by me for them to allow her through and I am sure that if she had been travelling alone she would not have got on the plane, as they were adamant that her UK visa was not valid (despite it having already been verified at check-in).

Dr Pat Pong wrote:

This is a little misleading. Before my wife and kids got their UK passports their Thai passports were ALWAYS checked for the appropriate visas on leaving Thailand. On one occasion the airport staff misread the visa and were going to refuse my wife entry to the departures area and therefore the plane! It took about ten minutes of explanation by me for them to allow her through and I am sure that if she had been travelling alone she would not have got on the plane, as they were adamant that her UK visa was not valid (despite it having already been verified at check-in).

The Thai's were only satisfying themselves and her that she could enter the destination country without hindrance. I bet the re-entry to Thailand was smooth as silk.

=Jaime,2004-10-27 04:43:22]Dr Pat Pong wrote:

...On one occasion the airport staff misread the visa and were going to refuse my wife entry to the departures area ...

I believe it was the airline - staff at check-in who refused to issue a boarding pass? The airlines always want to make sure that the passengers have valid documents for the destination.

Immigration would not care for this, only make sure that the Thai documents ar ok.

She will run into difficulties in the future when applying for visas. I think that Schengen visas are logged into a central database to prevent multiple applications to different countries, so her name would be "listed". You probably could apply for a longer visa in the beginning.

As for the airline causing a stink about the visas, they are liable for the passengers return should they be refused entry into the destination country.

:o Have you thought of simply contacting the appropriate authorities in your country of residence and asking if it is possible to get a visa extension. Failing that why not make a application in a neighbouring Schengen state?

- there's no possibility for visa extension ON TOURIST VISA.

- travelling within Schengen States, they will not stamp into the passport at the entrance/exit. (not like when crossing borders between thailand & malaysia etc., so no application available at the neighbouring lines)

- first entry (arriving stamp) from which country ie; Holland, when going back, the departing stamp MUST be the same as the country she 1st got the stamp from. (ie; Holland)

:o Have you thought of simply contacting the appropriate authorities in your country of residence and asking if it is possible to get a visa extension. Failing that why not make a application in a neighbouring Schengen state?

- there's no possibility for visa extension ON TOURIST VISA.

- travelling within Schengen States, they will not stamp into the passport at the entrance/exit. (not like when crossing borders between thailand & malaysia etc., so no application available at the neighbouring lines)

- first entry (arriving stamp) from which country ie; Holland, when going back, the departing stamp MUST be the same as the country she 1st got the stamp from. (ie; Holland)

Funnily that is the sort of thing we tell the long term walkers hereabouts. To no avail

QUOTE(Girlfrombar @ 2004-11-05 15:28:21...

[right)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/right]

Funnily that is the sort of thing we tell the long term walkers hereabouts. To no avail

@Girlfrombar

I don't think this part is correct.

The holder of a uniform visa is entitled to stay in the 15 countries which apply the Convention Implementing the Schengen Agreement for a maximum of up to 90 days

This means, once you entered a Schengen member country you are free to move to any other Schengen member. There are no border checks and no customs.

The criteria for obtaining a visa can be (among others) first country of visit or country of longest planned stay. So if you plan to first stay in Holland, you can apply with the Dutch mission. If you plan to stay most of your time in Germany, but first go to Holland, you should get the visa from the German mission.

Now let's say, you have a Schengen Visa issued by the German embassy and arrive at Frankfurt or Munich, I do not think that there is any restriction that you must leave from FRA or MUC as well. You can fly out e.g. from Amsterdam/Holland or Vienna/Austria. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not find any rule that arrival and departure must be same country.

Air flights within Schengen members are treated like domestic flights. Means you just walk out to pick up your luggage. (OK, there are patrols for security, watching you)

The same applies e.g. for Australian and Japanese. They do not need a visa, will be stamped in in FRA and stamped out in Amsterdam.

@Dr. P_P

maximum stay up to 90 days has a limit:

per six-month period during the visa's period of validity

Means no walkers in Schengen!

@Girlfrombar

The holder of a uniform visa is entitled to stay in the 15 countries which apply the Convention Implementing the Schengen Agreement for a maximum of up to 90 days

This means, once you entered a Schengen member country you are free to move to any other Schengen member. There are no border checks and no customs.

The criteria for obtaining a visa can be (among others) first country of visit or country of longest planned stay. So if you plan to first stay in Holland, you can apply with the Dutch mission. If you plan to stay most of your time in Germany, but first go to Holland, you should get the visa from the German mission.

Now let's say, you have a Schengen Visa issued by the German embassy and arrive at Frankfurt or Munich, I do not think that there is any restriction that you must leave from FRA or MUC as well. You can fly out e.g. from Amsterdam/Holland or Vienna/Austria. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not find any rule that arrival and departure must be same country.

Air flights within Schengen members are treated like domestic flights. Means you just walk out to pick up your luggage. (OK, there are patrols for security, watching you) 

The same applies e.g. for Australian and Japanese. They do not need a visa, will be stamped in in FRA and stamped out in Amsterdam.

ah,

yes u r quite right

once when u arrive in Schengen States, u can move FREELY among permitted schengen countries

and there's no check up at the border, no customs.. well not that so strict (only when u travel by the plane -- coz once i was popping in&out by train between Lille & Brussels, it was like pain in the a-ss on the way back at Belgium station examinated by the border check --maybe coz the train destination was to Waterloo, England --the police just checked & questioned & checked again & again then he ended up his bottom line saying to me that "WELL.. DO NOT FORGET TO GET OFF AT LILLE!" and let me go --sarcasm it sounded i thought)

what i meant is,

u can not get the visa extended at the neighbouring borders like some travellers do to obtain the visa stamp crossing lines between Thailand & Malaysia or so

this trick HARDLY works for Schengen visa

and yes,

i'm wrong to tell that the arrival & departure stamp must be from the same country

thx for your correcting axel :o

cheers!

QUOTE(Girlfrombar @ 2004-11-05 15:28:21...

[right)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/right]

@Girlfrombar

@Dr. P_P

maximum stay up to 90 days has a limit:

per six-month period during the visa's period of validity

Means no walkers in Schengen!

There's a blessing for Schengen states, but alas, it leaves the poverty packers here in Thailand Girl.