SURVEY: Do you agree with the crackdown on illegals?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you agree with the crackdown on illegals?  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

The term "Illegals" is a difficult one to use when referring to fellow human beings. I spoke to someone this morning who was telling me that it was now 7 years that he's been living here in Bangkok. He's one of those that can't return to his country of origin because a fatwa was issued again his whole family, their crime? Whilst working in a hospital the family member as instructed gave an IV saline drip to an elderly man, in order to aid his chances of recovery, now one of that elderly man's childred arrived at the hospital and as it was Ramadan and outwith the permitted hours for taking food, the person that inserted that IV needle, and they along with the whole family was to soon be the subjects of a fatwa ordering their deaths. So being here in Thailand without passport/visa makes him and his family a what? Fortunately Thai Immigration is not targeting him or his family, even though they don't have any UN issued or recognised status here in Thailand.

They are still Illegals if they don't pocess the correct visa. Furthermore, I don't believe this story, since as more posters have mentioned, they do let sick people eat during the Ramadan.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not Thai and I don't suffer from any variety from Stockholm syndrome. 
So I think it's daft for any foreigner here to put on airs that they're the "good" kind of expats, and cheerlead for the Thais to go after so called others.

First they came for ...

etc. / etc. / etc.

This is up to the Thais. None of our business. Unless/until your particular flavor of foreigner comes up for negative attention. Then it's time to pack! 

I don't agree with this. Just like everybody is calling on muslims to gang up against the terrorists hiding in their midst, farangs ganging up on suk drug dealers can only be a good thing. Tar & feathers, hang 'em high!

• Confused 1

I totally disagree because I think it’s a non issue hardly worth mentioning let alone pursuing. Seriously, don’t they have more important things to do with their time and money or better ways to get a few high fives from the sheeple who may or may not vote for them? There are a million reasons why Thailand can be labeled a “$h!thole country” but a few Africans on the wrong visa or who have overstayed their visa is hardly in the top 100 of those reasons. Why not address traffic deaths, corruption, unemployment, crime, racism, gun, soi dogs, loud roosters in the morning, or any number of more important problems in Thailand. Failure to do so and to call yourself a competent government is a big joke.

The Thais are well within their rights to crack down on any and all illegals as they see fit...it's their country. I reside here legally and it takes all sort of ridiculous BS for my to make it totally legit without bribing anyone. Why should these bottom feeders not get scrutiny and brought-to-book? The more of them they catch the better...scumbags.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

The term "Illegals" is a difficult one to use when referring to fellow human beings. I spoke to someone this morning who was telling me that it was now 7 years that he's been living here in Bangkok. He's one of those that can't return to his country of origin because a fatwa was issued again his whole family, their crime? Whilst working in a hospital the family member as instructed gave an IV saline drip to an elderly man, in order to aid his chances of recovery, now one of that elderly man's childred arrived at the hospital and as it was Ramadan and outwith the permitted hours for taking food, the person that inserted that IV needle, and they along with the whole family was to soon be the subjects of a fatwa ordering their deaths. So being here in Thailand without passport/visa makes him and his family a what? Fortunately Thai Immigration is not targeting him or his family, even though they don't have any UN issued or recognised status here in Thailand.

So what's the problem,,, If he's here illegal he should be kicked out ,,,,,His problem isn't  Thailands Problem,,,,,

• Like 1

I totally disagree because I think it’s a non issue hardly worth mentioning let alone pursuing. Seriously, don’t they have more important things to do with their time and money or better ways to get a few high fives from the sheeple who may or may not vote for them? There are a million reasons why Thailand can be labeled a “$h!thole country” but a few Africans on the wrong visa or who have overstayed their visa is hardly in the top 100 of those reasons. Why not address traffic deaths, corruption, unemployment, crime, racism, gun, soi dogs, loud roosters in the morning, or any number of more important problems in Thailand. Failure to do so and to call yourself a competent government is a big joke.
Take out soi dogs..and the roosters bit..put in acud throwing..stabbings..organised crime.."grooming "..and you could be talking about my home country the UK SADLY

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

It is their full right to crackdown on illegals or overstayers. Perhaps even a moral obligation towards their country, where we are only guests.

On the other hand, they should make things simpler regarding visa extensions. Like for exemple allowing e-document submissions via an efficient operationnal internet website ? And maybe having all immigration offices and consulates worldwide to work under the same rules and not have each i/o tom-dick-harry-somchai make up his own rules ?

Edited by observer90210

26 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

It is their full right to crackdown on illegals or overstayers. Perhaps even a moral obligation towards their country, where we are only guests.

Morals in Thailand ,  oh please, do behave yourself. :cheesy:

Guests !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  yeah right on.  :giggle:

Three wise monkeys.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin

Up to them. I guess these illegals generate a fair amount of income, and there's plenty plenty of places will take it if Thailand doesn't want it. God, how much money have I brought into this country.

• Like 1

the million dollar question is

how come every time, a crackdown is announced, there is no farang in the list, while we know hundreds of not thousands are living here and working illegally.  

• Thanks 1

Of course Thailand has every right to sort out these Illegals!

Thailand is not a haven for riff raff - people must respect the law and come in with a proper visa, obey the quite reasonable "residential" restrictions and so on. Try to come in illegally in say Australia!

• Like 1

We just got back home from a trip to Petchabun, my wife's class reunion.

All the teachers and directors are in their late 50's.  A dedicated and really nice group.  I can't see any negative tendencies in her classmates.

Sorry for the off topic comments but it's so boring with all the teacher and director bashing on TVF infering that all teachers and directors are so bad and corrupt.  I just run into so many good teachers and directors through my wife that I find that hard to believe and I am not going to pass up this opportunity to say so.  This does summarily fit somewhere in my closing statements.

Anyway, back on topic.  My wife's cousin and her husband drove for us and we stopped for lunch.  As we were starting to eat, four immigration enforcement officers sat down at a nearby table just as it started to rain.

Soon afterwards while waiting for the rain to slow down, our cousins and my wife were showing the restaurant owners my Thai drivers license and my new pink ID card.  The owners daughter is also married to an American.

They will be retiring to Thailand soon and the owners were interested in my ID since it states something like lifetime, in Thai.  No expiration date like their Lao workers.

One of the immigration officers came over and asked if he could see my cards.  Talk, talk, talk, etc...  He then asked "do you mind if I see your passport", since my wife mentioned we are going to pick up my new extension stamp Wednesday (he did ask very respectfully).  They took two photos of my passport.  Two photos of three officers, my wife, and me holding my passport.  He said "we want to show our boss they found a good foreigner".

After talking a while my wife mentioned that I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, and don't go to bars.  They all said "good guys in bad guys out".

I think as a whole the immigration department is dedicated, proud, and serious about doing their job.  These gentlemen were nice to talk to and were very friendly.  But, I sure don't want to find myself on the other side of legal with these guys.

As in anything, everything, and everywhere there are always that some who can tarnish the reputation of a whole group whether they are talking about teachers, directors,  immigration, or foreigners.

Keep up the good work immigration and get these guys out that are intentionally breaking the rules, or can't keep their nose clean.  It would be great for foreigners to be seen in a good way for a change, and give us all a bad name.

• Like 1

I certainly support any government's right to enforce its laws, but much of it depends on how they go about it and who is targeted.   Checking just Black people is questionable, but if they are checking people based on something other than race, I have no problem with it.  

• Like 1

Yesterday I visited a Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai to withdraw 40000 baht in cash that was not my branch.

Took with me my passport and a completed withdrawal slip.

The lady cashier first went through and checked every single page of my passport. Then she tore up my withdrawal slip and asked me to fill out another one. I asked why? She replied, need to see me sign in front of her. So I filled out another slip. Next, she asked me for my phone number? I thought, what next? Blood, urine, semen samples and fingerprints.

Having been with Bangkok Bank for many years, this was the first time I`d ever been treated like that.

It`s all well and good the police having a purge on dodgy foreigners, problem is it places us all under suspicion as being up to no good and law breakers. And although I do believe it`s a good thing this good guys in and bad guys out, but it does have a knock on effect for all of us and why I hate those bad guys so much.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

We just got back home from a trip to Petchabun, my wife's class reunion.

All the teachers and directors are in their late 50's.  A dedicated and really nice group.  I can't see any negative tendencies in her classmates.

Sorry for the off topic comments but it's so boring with all the teacher and director bashing on TVF infering that all teachers and directors are so bad and corrupt.  I just run into so many good teachers and directors through my wife that I find that hard to believe and I am not going to pass up this opportunity to say so.  This does summarily fit somewhere in my closing statements.

Anyway, back on topic.  My wife's cousin and her husband drove for us and we stopped for lunch.  As we were starting to eat, four immigration enforcement officers sat down at a nearby table just as it started to rain.

Soon afterwards while waiting for the rain to slow down, our cousins and my wife were showing the restaurant owners my Thai drivers license and my new pink ID card.  The owners daughter is also married to an American.

They will be retiring to Thailand soon and the owners were interested in my ID since it states something like lifetime, in Thai.  No expiration date like their Lao workers.

One of the immigration officers came over and asked if he could see my cards.  Talk, talk, talk, etc...  He then asked "do you mind if I see your passport", since my wife mentioned we are going to pick up my new extension stamp Wednesday (he did ask very respectfully).  They took two photos of my passport.  Two photos of three officers, my wife, and me holding my passport.  He said "we want to show our boss they found a good foreigner".

After talking a while my wife mentioned that I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, and don't go to bars.  They all said "good guys in bad guys out".

I think as a whole the immigration department is dedicated, proud, and serious about doing their job.  These gentlemen were nice to talk to and were very friendly.  But, I sure don't want to find myself on the other side of legal with these guys.

As in anything, everything, and everywhere there are always that some who can tarnish the reputation of a whole group whether they are talking about teachers, directors,  immigration, or foreigners.

Keep up the good work immigration and get these guys out that are intentionally breaking the rules, or can't keep their nose clean.  It would be great for foreigners to be seen in a good way for a change, and give us all a bad name.

Really?

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Yesterday I visited a Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai to withdraw 40000 baht in cash that was not my branch.

Took with me my passport and a completed withdrawal slip.

The lady cashier first went through and checked every single page of my passport. Then she tore up my withdrawal slip and asked me to fill out another one. I asked why? She replied, need to see me sign in front of her. So I filled out another slip. Next, she asked me for my phone number? I thought, what next? Blood, urine, semen samples and fingerprints.

Having been with Bangkok Bank for many years, this was the first time I`d ever been treated like that.

It`s all well and good the police having a purge on dodgy foreigners, problem is it places us all under suspicion as being up to no good and law breakers. And although I do believe it`s a good thing this good guys in and bad guys out, but it does have a knock on effect for all of us and why I hate those bad guys so much.

To be honest there is value in asking to see you sign the document, actually a rarity in LOS, and in my home country 'seen to sign' whatever document is totally normal and expected by all.  If a certain document must be signed in front of witnesses then, at home, nobody would sign until the 'document owner' and the witnesses are all present and all watching the signatures activity, normal process.

Phone numbers on basic banking documents is normal for most if not all Thai banks, I don't object in any way, if the bank discovers some anomaly after your gone they can quickly contact you, seems

sensible, logical and valuable to me.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Quidio said:

I certainly support any government's right to enforce its laws, but much of it depends on how they go about it and who is targeted.   Checking just Black people is questionable, but if they are checking people based on something other than race, I have no problem with it.  

I have no problem with them targeting black, white, brown people at all, since these are the most likely to be in country illegal, bring it on, check my passport every night on Sulumvitt, come into the bars and piss test me as much as you want..........you will find this white boy with proper visa, and no drugs in my system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I doubt that story is true, spent a very long time in  the Middle east and North Africa -  that is not a reason to issue a fatwa, even by Sharia standards, the Koran allows people to eat during the fast to keep one's health, save their life, or the life of an unborn child.  They just need to make merit by feeding a poor person.   I would be looking for the real reason he is here, and how do they support themselves. No, sorry, I don't buy it.

You and many others including me suspect this is a BS story, unfortunately you have people like the original poster and soft in the head Liberals who don't get that every economic migrant has his persecution story and behind them are the people who verbally attack anybody who points out holes in the "families fleeing war" propaganda as "racist"

• Like 1