Disturbing request while getting tourist visa

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:
3 hours ago, MiWV said:

There is nothing stopping you from getting a visa exemption on arrival or getting a visa elsewhere.

The cost stops some people on a budget.

And don't forget the possibility of being rejected when presenting on arrival for visa exempt, and being deported at the discretion of the IO.  Who can decide to send you back to the flight's origin, or to your home country (eenie-meenie-minie-mo).   Which could put a real damper on an Asian holiday if the home country is a 60 hour round trip.  Or if the country where your flight originated sees you've been rejected, and they send you home instead of letting you back in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kannot said:

I just ignore the crap they sometimes  spout or agree  but never  do it so they think they are "the  boss".

Once at my annual renewal the immigration officer said  that "next year" instead of an extension based on marriage I should change to "retirement".

She was quite  pushy about it. I just smiled  but never did and never heard anything of it in subsequent renewals.

The reason she did this is.................its  a  lot LESS work for them, lazy buggers!!

I'm in the process of going down that road right now. They tried to push me into the 'retirement visa' as well. Less paperwork for them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, a10ams said:

I'm in the process of going down that road right now. They tried to push me into the 'retirement visa' as well. Less paperwork for them.

And less hassles for you, if you ever got divorced. Maybe, the IO's see a few of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

So no more round the world trips allowed now ??

Go to Thailand, go home

Go to China, go home

Go to Australia, go home

Go to Mexico, go home

Going to take forever to go everywhere I want to go ?

Go to Australia, go wherever you want when you leave.

5 minutes ago, Howard said:

Go to Australia, go wherever you want when you leave.

Yes I know that... I was being sarcastic !!

But if Thailand can dictate where you have to go on leaving, then it might happen elsewhere ??

Bloody hope not..

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Go to Thailand, go home

Go to China, go home

Go to Australia, go home

Go to Mexico, go home

Exaggerate much?

• Haha 1

HCMC is ok at the moment but it is a very small office. I'm guessing max 4.5 × 4 metres most of that filled with a large desk taking up most of it.

Any more than 6/7 people inside and it's pretty cramped.

Essential to have everything filled out/completed 100% before you go otherwise I would imagine it getting hectic. The entrance corridor is a bit narrow as well and waiting outside if there was a queue would be hot sweaty and uncomfotable if it got really busy. No real shade and nowhere to sit down outside if you felt the need.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes, that is the point... Onward ticket is a valid requirement...

Return ticket to your home country, is not a valid or justified requirement.

What happens if you leave the U.S. with multiple tourist visas for different countries? One can't be expected to go back to the U.S. each time and start a new trip. I understand an onward ticket. It is just that "Onward". Not two steps back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

And don't forget the possibility of being rejected when presenting on arrival for visa exempt, and being deported at the discretion of the IO.

Just as much chance being rejected with a Tourist or Education VISA.

Having a VISA doesn't mean they will let you in.

14 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

What happens if you leave the U.S. with multiple tourist visas for different countries? One can't be expected to go back to the U.S. each time and start a new trip. I understand an onward ticket. It is just that "Onward". Not two steps back.

That's what I said... !!

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just as much chance being rejected with a Tourist or Education VISA.

Having a VISA doesn't mean they will let you in.

No, the odds are not equal at all. In some other countries maybe, but not in Thailand, at least for now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

I am shipping out! I'm on a tourist visa the whole point of being on a tourist visa it to visit and leave. So who really needs to shape up here?

The “ who in the world does this guy... “ made me smile in the context of your citizenship. Of all the nationalities on this planet your Homeland has more questions than any other to ask of anyone entering the US,and for good reason, I agree,  but it should be more obvious to you as a US citizen that the guys asking the questions are in charge. I would not argue with an immigration official in the US, No Siree ! 

3 hours ago, sananeamk0715 said:

I'm a Turkish citizenship. You all know how to Thai government see Muslim countries(even Turkey is most secular Muslim country but they think we speak Arabic, can marry 4 wife, womens wear black ninja dress) anyway I have tourist visa(single entry) 2 times Penang, 5 times Vientiane, 1 time Savannakhet and I'm in Thailand for 2 years with only tourist visa. I've never had a problem with immigration or consulate when I apply visa or return, leave to Thailand. Also never use travel agency etc. They once asked me question such as "Why you stay in Thailand long time" I said "I have gf and I like travelling here+show photo) They said "Okay"

If your all documents ok. I guess there is no problem.

Yes don't go Penang. Because these days all type of visas have problem. So why people don't try Savannakhet? There is no red stamp and not strict at all. Just have to show 20,000 Baht in bank account that's all. Even last time when I went there for apply tourist visa it was only 2 foreigners. No one don't know or what's the reason?

I guess next week I'll apply for Non-B because now I start to teaching. I'll also go Vientiane.

So how does Thailand see muslim countries, say Indonesia and Malaysia?

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Go to Thailand, go home

Go to China, go home

Go to Australia, go home

Go to Mexico, go home

If you show all your bookings going through all these countries, as well as Mexico to home they will be happy.

I come back to my METV to USA (in 1979).

We we going to travel from Paris, to USA, various latin American countries, back to USA, before emigrating to Australia. We were requested to show all our tickets, Paris, London, Miami, Guayaquil, Bogota, Belize, LA, Sydney. As well as the Australian permanent residence visa. We didn't think there was anything wrong...

9 minutes ago, dragonballz said:

another load of expat rubbish , its like a desease .What difference does it make to any country and what right have they to dictate where you go  ? When you cross their border to leave it is nothing to do with them or any country .If you enter illegally they  should send you anywhere as long as it is out of their country and you enter the next country legally . The whole point of this is to stop people entering on the wrong visa . Should be of absolutely no concern of theirs where you go as long as you leave their country .

You just don't want to see it. Someone who doesn't plan to return to his country of residence,  and hence can't show a ticket as proof of his good intention, is a higher risk of overstay and illegal employment in the region. Thailand is confronted with tens, possibly hundreds, of thousand of such cases and therefore has to impose some reasonable requirements to admit visitors.

14 hours ago, NetJunkie said:

He is the guy that decides if you get your visa. Endex. Shape up or ship out.

They like to think so. But if you challenge them, firmly and politely, they back down.

Shape up or ship out is for cowards. Enjoy your dream.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Disturbing request is a bit over the top. You'd expect to read they asked you to bend over with a thread title like this.

Have to agree that a better word than "disturbing" could have been used.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

And don't forget the possibility of being rejected when presenting on arrival for visa exempt, and being deported at the discretion of the IO.  Who can decide to send you back to the flight's origin, or to your home country (eenie-meenie-minie-mo).   Which could put a real damper on an Asian holiday if the home country is a 60 hour round trip.  Or if the country where your flight originated sees you've been rejected, and they send you home instead of letting you back in.

I don't forget that but I believe more importantly to most TVF members is the cost matter.

I wish not for them but sadly that appears to be the case.

e.g. a 300 THB fan room?

This may shed some light on what is happening in Penang.

I was there 3 weeks back.

Basically there is a senior io there now who is seriously on the balls and does stuff as stiffly by the books as possible.

You only get leeway when the senior io is not there.

This was the gist of the conversation in Chinese between the printer guy and his China client outside the embassy.

If this senior io was posted from the Singapore side, then it's pretty much <deleted> since they interpret rules as stiffly as possible to not give you any visa.

10 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Go to Thailand, go home

Go to China, go home

Go to Australia, go home

Go to Mexico, go home

Someone at the consulate woke up from a deep sleep with a brilliant idea. Send all applicants home after their holidays in Thailand. That will stop them from doing back-to-back tourist visa applications and they can work to save up for their next Thailand vacation after a year or two.

Ignorami!

Edited by tropo

Please, stop moaning! Do you have any idea what usa customs and immigration want to know about you if you are stupid/crazy enough to enter as a tourist?!?

No, you don't (as a usa citizen)! Time to finish the privileged position of usa ?

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

HCMC is ok at the moment but it is a very small office. I'm guessing max 4.5 × 4 metres most of that filled with a large desk taking up most of it.

Any more than 6/7 people inside and it's pretty cramped.

Essential to have everything filled out/completed 100% before you go otherwise I would imagine it getting hectic. The entrance corridor is a bit narrow as well and waiting outside if there was a queue would be hot sweaty and uncomfotable if it got really busy. No real shade and nowhere to sit down outside if you felt the need.

There's a bar opposite

4 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

You just don't want to see it. Someone who doesn't plan to return to his country of residence,  and hence can't show a ticket as proof of his good intention, is a higher risk of overstay and illegal employment in the region. Thailand is confronted with tens, possibly hundreds, of thousand of such cases and therefore has to impose some reasonable requirements to admit visitors.

His country of nationality might not be his country of residence.

I have not lived in my country of nationality for 36 years and have only visited half a dozen times in that period.

So why should I have a ticket to go there to get a visa for another country?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

His country of nationality might not be his country of residence.

I have not lived in my country of nationality for 36 years and have only visited half a dozen times in that period.

So why should I have a ticket to go there to get a visa for another country?

Where did I mention country of Nationality? I got visas to Thailand issued in Canberra before I became and Australian citizen. But I have to show proof of residence status, assets and source of income.

Edited by KiChakayan