Use Phuket beaches with caution, say lifeguards

snoop1130

Use Phuket beaches with caution, say lifeguards

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1528102522_1-org.jpg

Red and yellow flags fly at Patong Beach today (June 4). Photo: Somprasong Saengchat

PHUKET:-- Lifeguards stationed at beaches along the west coast are warning members of the public to be cautious if visiting any of the beaches following a weather warning issued by Thai Meteorological Department earlier this morning.

Somprasong Saengchat of the Phuket Lifeguard Service (PLS), who serves as the chief lifeguard at Patong Beach, told The Phuket News this afternoon, "Tourists can still enjoy the water but only in areas where the yellow and red flags are flying.

"However, areas where the red flags are flying should be avoided at all costs.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/use-phuket-beaches-with-caution-say-lifeguards-67368.php#gWGVIidB0qiCpLgU.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-6-4

Lifeguards are now on patrol at Karon Beach? Well, I think I saw one during my walk at the weekend, or at least there was a Thai person with no means of identification playing on a rescue board!

And all those swimmers at Rawai beach can take comfort that there are now lifeguards on patrol. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone swimming at Rawai Beach!

They're still not taking this seriously and unfortunately the inevitable drownings that will occur this low season will almost certainly not affect their thinking. The budget is pathetic and should be enhanced by using some of the 1% room tax paid by all registered hotels.

How does a Bangkok-based consultancy LP Laikhum Co Ltd, get a lifeguard contract to which they have no experience or knowledge.........................?

Classic.  The guy running the group that took the fat contract doesn't have faith in his employees and their equipment.    

"Further, serious doubts have been raised as to the skills the lifeguards have and LP Laikhum Managing Director Dr Nutpol Sirisawang has already voiced his concern that his lifeguards do not properly equipped to carry out rescues."