Spreads for toast, what's available in Thailand?

giddyup

18 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Eggs and toast. Toasted cheese. Toast and coffee. Toast with baked beans. Toast with peanut butter and banana. Toast with any of 40 options of jelly, jam, marmalade, and preserves available. Dip toast Buttered in hot chocolate. Garlic toast at Sizzler's. Club sandwich on toast. French toast at morning buffet.

Toast is so passe.  I guess you could say toast is "toast".  Baked beans???Yecchhhh., absolutely disgusting! 

Rice is the future, so if you cannot eat it, best return home!

Edited by mugaly

5 minutes ago, mugaly said:

Toast is so passe.  I guess you could say toast is "toast".  Baked beans???Yecchhhh., absolutely disgusting! 

Am I being avant garde by suggesting that you can enjoy them both but at different meal times..??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mugaly said:

Toast and beans on most breakfast menus here that offer farang options. Didn't say I eat it. Rice is bad for diabetics. I prefer noodles. People come to Thailand to add choices to their life, not to follow whatever guidelines you set out for them. Perhaps you should be the one out of here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, newatthis said:
5 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

There's lunch sorted, then: Tesco sardines on buttered toast. ?

But not the tomato sauce ones, Bill. Then again, except for tuna, every fish here seems to come in tomato sauce. 

Tomato Sauce is the ONLY acceptable dressing for this culinary experience

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mugaly said:

I love rice, but I love toast for breakfast. It is possible to diversify you know, or do you just eat boiled rice 3 times a day? Rice is the future? Why, is it new as a food item, or has it been around a thousand years?

Edited by giddyup

Vegamite ha ha ,the poor mans substitute for the real thing , Marmite ,as eaten by men not girls[emoji846] ,(like my wife),who finds the REAL THING to strong
But then i am a Brit ,we exported our lesser mortals to a land far off ,they tried to make marmite but couldnt get it right ,just came up with a weaker substitute ,
You are correct Sir [emoji23]
https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite&ved=2ahUKEwia1PfT8L7bAhXJQ30KHfJJBwYQFjAAegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw1he8UtmgpwA15AaqpQdhS1

Sent from my X9079 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tambs2020 said:

Does it have to be a piss*ng contest? Aussies prefer Vegemite, the Brits prefer Marmite, end of.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, JoePai said:

Hate to say chaps but there is only one spread and it is available in Thailand - it's called Marmite

Everything else is just much yuck and not worthy of a piece of well toasted bread.............

The spread.jpg

You're a Brit or Kiwi, right? That's OK, we can't expect you to understand Vegemite. Any more than we can understand cold pork pies and warm beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Makro sometimes carries little jars of pesto - supposedly as sauce, but works as spread just as well. Not the best quality, to be sure, but been lazy making my own. And very occasionally, there are chimichurri jars as villa. Again, better results if home made.

Tahini is another good choice, not hard to make, and taste can be easily adjusted. Usually get some when I travel, but can buy at villa etc. (check dates!).

MIL makes a mean garlic sauce, very thick and very pungent. She was delighted I was totally into it, so Mrs. now trusted with recipe. Not the best choice if you have a morning meeting.

What I miss most are olive based spreads.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The OP could try the Black Swan range available at Rimping. From memory, tapenade, tabouli and hommous. Apologies if I haven't got the spelling right.

No Rimping in Pattaya AFAIK.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

Tapenades are olive-based. Readily available at Rimping.

Or, if you prefer your own brand, drain black or green pitted olives and then blend with a thick plain yoghurt.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Tapenades are olive-based. Readily available at Rimping.

Or, if you prefer your own brand, drain black or green pitted olives and then blend with a thick plain yoghurt.

Thanks, but bit far from Rimping. The readily available olives here are meh. Tried it a while back and wasn't satisfied with results. Will probably get into it when new kitchen is up, though.

Makro sometimes carries little jars of pesto - supposedly as sauce, but works as spread just as well. Not the best quality, to be sure, but been lazy making my own. And very occasionally, there are chimichurri jars as villa. Again, better results if home made.

Tahini is another good choice, not hard to make, and taste can be easily adjusted. Usually get some when I travel, but can buy at villa etc. (check dates!).

MIL makes a mean garlic sauce, very thick and very pungent. She was delighted I was totally into it, so Mrs. now trusted with recipe. Not the best choice if you have a morning meeting.

Get a blender, easy to make [emoji106]

Just now, Morch said:

Thanks, but bit far from Rimping. The readily available olives here are meh. Tried it a while back and wasn't satisfied with results. Will probably get into it when new kitchen is up, though.

I imagine black olives, Italian tinned tomatoes, garlic and chili thrown in a blender might make a nice toast topping.

• Like 2

I have found that the flavour of local tomatoes is a bit hit and miss. The tinned ones are much more flavoursome.
True...But if i use them i drain them first otherwise the toast goes soggy...NO ONE likes soggy toast .
(this is just my assumption, no offence meant to soggy toast eaters, & no intended potential legal action will be taken seriously) [emoji12]

• Like 1