Guns on the street in Thaiand

Marvo

53 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

The Rabbity Hoppy  things are called Kangaroos which are marsupials no relation to rabbits which by the way are not native to Australia but were introduced by some of the earlier settlers.

Australia might be anti gun but I think you will find most people like it that way.

Fortunately Australia doesn’t seem to have the same problems experienced in other countries where guns are freely available , such as massacres in schools and gun happy police.

HA!  You think I'm American.  I know Australia nearly as well as an Aussie.  Think 1,300 miles East.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:34 AM, PoorSucker said:

We had a shootout on the beach here on Samui a couple of months ago. 

Two rival families involved in jetskis, two dead, both had carry licence. 

There is some justice in the world  then

20 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

HA!  You think I'm American.  I know Australia nearly as well as an Aussie.  Think 1,300 miles East.

Not if if you think kangaroos are in any way similar to rabbits and we stopped using miles years ago must be American.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Not if if you think kangaroos are in any way similar to rabbits and we stopped using miles years ago must be American.

I do these things to "enhance my privacy" and it seems to work.  The last time I had to tell a fellow Australasian where I came from we were both still using miles, pounds and Imperial gallons.  That was back when Dinah Lee and John Clark both still lived in their original homes "over the ditch."

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 10:17 PM, smotherb said:

With so many guns in Thailand, it does not matter that you show manners, possess common sense or have self-control; if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

However many Thais seem to be unaware of this. A US based show where Americans marry foreigners has featured a number of Thai ladies and they're always saying things like: "we don't have guns in Thailand" or "guns are very rare, compared to the USA" and things like this. Americans watching the show, which is quite popular and watched by millions will believe this.

3 hours ago, jimster said:

However many Thais seem to be unaware of this. A US based show where Americans marry foreigners has featured a number of Thai ladies and they're always saying things like: "we don't have guns in Thailand" or "guns are very rare, compared to the USA" and things like this. Americans watching the show, which is quite popular and watched by millions will believe this.

There is little I can do about the ignorance of others.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 3:45 PM, LukKrueng said:

there are special permits for carrying a gun, but those are nearly impossible to get, and there are many restrictions to those permits as well (not allowed to carry directly on your body, forearm must not be loaded with ammunition, not allowed to carry in shops/shopping centers and many more such restrictions).

As has already been stated, this is not correct, I see the guys delivering the money to the banks in the shopping centre below my office on a daily basis and of the two of them, one is always carrying a gun in a holster, same as the police do.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smotherb said:

There is little I can do about the ignorance of others.

Sure, but either way Thailand does not seem to be a country known for it's guns, as far as foreigners are concerned. Everyone knows about the US "right to bear arms", many also know that Switzerland also has quite liberal gun laws, with many Swiss owning a firearm but Thailand?

I still don't think the average Thai owns a firearm. Many do, depending on their profession or whether they feel threatened by someone, but not your average Somchai.

38 minutes ago, jimster said:

Sure, but either way Thailand does not seem to be a country known for it's guns, as far as foreigners are concerned. Everyone knows about the US "right to bear arms", many also know that Switzerland also has quite liberal gun laws, with many Swiss owning a firearm but Thailand?

I still don't think the average Thai owns a firearm. Many do, depending on their profession or whether they feel threatened by someone, but not your average Somchai.

I think you have just proved my point. I have known about Thailand's gun problems for years.You say you don't think the average Thai owns a firearm, but then you didn't know Thailand had a gun problem.

52 minutes ago, jimster said:

My immediate 3 neighbours all own firearms.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

So thats three people who own guns in Thailand , does anyone know anyone else who owns a gun ?

Yes, my missus, so that's 4. You kind of missed the point though?

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

As has already been stated, this is not correct, I see the guys delivering the money to the banks in the shopping centre below my office on a daily basis and of the two of them, one is always carrying a gun in a holster, same as the police do.

I am talking about civilians not about guards. Those guards come under different regulations and are only allowed to carry while they are in uniform AND working. The guns are not their own guns, but the company's. They take them at the start of the shift and give back at the end of it.

A civilian won't get a permit to carry a gun, and even the very few who do - are not allowed to holster or conceal the guns on their body and not allowed to carry it loaded.

Yes, there are ways around it, and many people "bend" the rules or simply ignore the rules - but again, I am talking about the laws.

16 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

A civilian won't get a permit to carry a gun, and even the very few who do - are not allowed to holster or conceal the guns on their body and not allowed to carry it loaded.

Again, I have to state this is incorrect. I do know a Thai civilian who has a permit to carry their own firearm, in a holster, on their body, with the firearm loaded.

They are not and have never been a government employee or a security guard.

There is a section of Thai society that would have no problem gaining such a permit.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:58 PM, blackcab said:

Again, I have to state this is incorrect. I do know a Thai civilian who has a permit to carry their own firearm, in a holster, on their body, with the firearm loaded.

They are not and have never been a government employee or a security guard.

There is a section of Thai society that would have no problem gaining such a permit.

did you actually see and read the permit or simply told by your friend? Yes, There is a section of Thai society that would have no problem doing many things and here I'm going back to my first statement - I'm talking about the written law/rule and now about what some people do.

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

did you actually see and read the permit or simply told by your friend?

I have not read the permit but I have no reason to doubt the applicant and my staff, who assisted the applicant during the application process.

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

I have not read the permit but I have no reason to doubt the applicant and my staff, who assisted the applicant during the application process.

application process for gun ownership is usually done by the gun shops. You provide the needed documents, you sign the forms, they take fingers prints and send it to the department for processing. In BKK there is 1 place dealing with all applications logged in BKK, in other provinces it's done at the ampoe. once they approve the application you have a certain time (6 months if I remember correctly)to actuality purchase a gun. Once you buy the gun, the shop sends the gun's documents together with your permit to the same place where you got the permit, and you are issued with a gun ownership document for this specific gun. This permit is good for as long as you keep the gun (no expiration/renewal date). This permit is only for owning/holding a gun at the specific registered address and not for carrying it. When you buy a gun, you also get 6 (six) bullets with the gun. Why 6? Because this is the number of bullets you are allowed to have according to the law. Please remember this is all about the law, not about what people do. By law, when you go to a shooting range, you are supposed to shoot all the rounds you buy there and allowed to keep only 6!

the authorisation to carry a weapon is totally different issue. It is actually given by the prime minister office under special and strict conditions (or with very good connections) and it is a temporary authorisation. Have to reapply for it every time, and having such permit once does not guarantee renewal. This permit comes with a booklet of do's and don't do's as I have mentioned in my first reply to this subject. I met people (very few) with this permit and I've seen the book

• Like 1