Opportunity Knocks

donna

When walking down certain streets, my husband gets propositioned from time to time. It's even happened when I'm with him. Now to me, he doesn't look like "that type of man" :o, but well, I guess my point is that it can work both ways...

Happened to my dad when visiting Waikiki.

Another male relative was once accosted by a katoey while innocently walking down Sukhumvit...

Editing to add I was propositioned by a female masseuse in Hanoi....well, groped is more like it...

It definitely can happen both ways--you don't have to be a Thai girl, or even in Thailand!

Edited by Misty

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I certainly know where the OP is coming from as I have experienced this type observation that ‘all’ Thai girls are of easy virtue. My company has a fair few visits from our overseas customers and more than once a derogatory comment has been made regarding my office staff and even factory workers. On one occasion when I informed a customer that Ms XX has left the company, he quickly stated, ‘gone to work in the bars’

I find this type of perception very juvenile. disrespectful and downright annoying.

look, there is great ignorance in the world. annoying as it is, just ignore it, let the sad little people go back to their sad little lives. I too have experienced the bar girls giving Mr Man the come on when we are walking down our road with our two daughters. :o

When walking down certain streets, my husband gets propositioned from time to time. It's even happened when I'm with him. Now to me, he doesn't look like "that type of man" :o , but well, I guess my point is that it can work both ways...

Happened to my dad when visiting Waikiki.

Another male relative was once accosted by a katoey while innocently walking down Sukhumvit...

Editing to add I was propositioned by a female masseuse in Hanoi....well, groped is more like it...

It definitely can happen both ways--you don't have to be a Thai girl, or even in Thailand!

Same same. Shall we set up a seperate thread, each and every time sombody we know is given the eye by a katoey, has girls on motor bikes flashing their boobs at them and sticking their tongues in their cheeks sugestively?? Certainly increase the amount of threads on here.

I was in Robinsons on sukhumvit and a girl from behind a perfume counter came up and showed me some pictures of herself in various uniforms and told me she could be whatever I want! I was only going through there as its a cool short cut from soi 19.

Lets leave it that shit happens eh, or we all start pouring our hearts out on here.

Many of us never learned our PC tables did we?

one two is two

two twos are four

all sex is rape

three twos are six

all men are bad

four twos are eight

women are oppressed

five twos are ten

men are filthy beasts (except for gay men of course)

six twos are twelve

seven twos are fourteen

Africans are exploited

eight twos are sixteen (stuggled with the math there!)

nine twos are eighteen

family life should be illegal

ten twos are twenty

we're going to die lonely.

just wanted to get that off my chest

If you were not a Super Moderator I would ask you about your chest, but that would be in bad taste.

Boom Boom.

Ok, funnies over . . . I think it is fairly typical of the type of moron that roams the streets here and believes that he can do anything and buy everyone witha few dollars.

I could go on and generalise about the 'average' westerner here, but thankfully there are enough of the opposite to prove me wrong.

Italian? No offense to your colleague, but Thais couldn't tell an Italian from a turnip.

It is a sad condemnation of cheap airfares.

I have seen guys trying to chat up obvious office workers on the Skytrain much to the girls embarrasment.

I have also had knowing winks from guys on the Skytrain when I have been with 4 or 5 women from our Bangkok office.

I was in Robinsons on sukhumvit and a girl from behind a perfume counter came up and showed me some pictures of herself in various uniforms and told me she could be whatever I want! I was only going through there as its a cool short cut from soi 19.

Yes, i'm sure that's what realy happened. :o:D:D

i lived in bangkok 99-03 and even then it was well known, how can i put it, that a fair few of the robinsons girls liked to top up their salaries.

If you believe that story happened in a department store in Bangkok, i would suggest you don't know Thai people at all. :o

Two sides of the coin here, I mean how many times do girls approach us and ask us for a (payed) good time? As for tourist, almost the only thing you see in these tourist areas are prostitutes! Don't deny this! Very easy to blame the farang and call him a moron.
Almost the only farangs you see there are pricks! Don't deny this!

Two sides of the coin here, I mean how many times do girls approach us and ask us for a (payed) good time? As for tourist, almost the only thing you see in these tourist areas are prostitutes! Don't deny this! Very easy to blame the farang and call him a moron.

so are the bg's there, its the place...... if your there, expect it.

one of the girls from my work was driving home last week on her motorbike through patong when she had to stop at an intersection. she had a full face helmet on, gloves, and was very covered up and conservatively dressed.

this farang bloke (she says italian, but who knows) stopped next to her and asked her 'how much for a short time?'

what a prick.

i could not believe this. where do people get off assuming that all thai women are for rent? this girl is a 'nice' girl. she was not dressed provocatively, did not even speak to the 'man' and he just assumes that she is for rent! i was furious.

just wanted to get that off my chest.

Perhaps that was his first failure, I have been here 10 years and only had one knock back, lets face it 1000 baht is almost a weeks wage's for the majority. I have made arrangements in Tesco's for a later rendevous, allways works, went 2000 baht the other week and may return, stunning girlie 23 yrs old selling Gold at the entrance of Big C. LOS, make's it tick tock.

whether i believe it or not, is totally irrelevant, although it is totaly possible from what i heard and saw with my own eyes when i lived there. just because you have not encountered something does not mean it does not happen.

Like i said, if you believe that a girl whilst working behind a cosmetics counter in a central Bangkok department store would go up to a total stranger who was passing buy and show a selection of photographs of her self in different styles of unifom and then inform him that she will 'be anything he wants'. Then i don't think you know anything about Thai people. :o

what the hel_l has it got to do with Thai people in general. we are talking about girls who work in department stores in heavily populated tourist areas, and should you chose to visit such areas you will hear countless stories of such encounters. it is just difficult to get my point across while staying in the forum rules.

Actually, I thought we were talking about a conservatively dressed girl minding her own business riding her motorbike?

A nice girl would not like to be thought of as a prostitute, and most certainly would not find it funny.

That is, if my two Thai female staff are to be believed. :o

Bullsh*t, I meet lots of nice guys in these "areas". Both Nana and Patpong are right in the middle of the business district. No wonder a fellow will slip up from time to time and hit on a straight girl! :o

i might also add my contempt for one other assumption that is way off target. that assumption is made by many supposedly educated thai WOMEN i have met in phuket who immediately assume that ALL isaan girls are easy and are all for sale. i cannot get over this!

I think you've found your culprit here donna. It's the Thai's themselves that purpetuate this stereotype.

Thailand is undoubtably the prostitution capital of the world. Where else in the world is there a place like Patong, Nana or Pattaya? The fact that there is almost no push to stop it is just going to keep the stereotype going on and on and on...

P.S. just because they are making this stereotype themselves does not excuse that guy on the bike for being an idiot. I'm just perhaps shifting the blame a little...

Edited by DeathbyDurian

Actually, I thought we were talking about a conservatively dressed girl minding her own business riding her motorbike?

A nice girl would not like to be thought of as a prostitute, and most certainly would not find it funny.

That is, if my two Thai female staff are to be believed. :o

You're right SBK you are right. Nobody of my aqauintance likes to be thought of like that. Most Bar Girls certainly don't like to be thought of like this either. As most men don't like the fat sex tourist bit, espescially as many of us take good care of ourselves and our families.

But it does cut both ways. I'm married and have been for 8 years, my father was here with his English 2nd wife. We get offers all the time, from women, gay men and Katooeys.

Part and parcel of life in Thailand and you really don't notice it as the years go by. I noticed more when they cleared them off the streets 4 years ago when George Bush was here. I passed through Bangkok that week and thought I had arrived in the wrong city. Lets go and have a look at Donnas other thread, the positive one and keep these things in perspective

And to end my part in this thread on a concilliatory note, most western women out here, have at least shown the balls to be here, and most (not all) can be as interesting and amusing as the next man, women or katooey! Please don't fall into the trap of stereotyping all men. I say this as some of my post look a tad mysoginistic, which I am not.

I say this as the debate is getting polarised and it's going to get out of hand if you are not careful. Sad for the girl, but am sure she will pull through.

Edited by Dupont

I think if the key is to not make any assumptions because ultimately they will get you in hot water. If a lady is on the game I think she more and likely will proposition a target.

Of course britmaverick is right, but the more attractive the sex-worker is, the less likely she is to proposition a customer. REALLY hot girls don't have to approach anyone. :o

For the people who says girls are always asking them if want to have a good time (for a price) I say bull shit. You sound like a tourist who only visits the whore houses when they come to Thailand. There are more girls in Thailand who are not prostitutes than there are ones you spend your time with.

this farang bloke (she says italian, but who knows) stopped next to her and asked her 'how much for a short time?'

Pleased to meet you donna.

This was not a man but an extraterrestrial. A human would have learned in the first ten minutes in LOS that the women proposition the farang.

Never buy anything that eats or needs repairs. :o