Khao Sok National Park - Easy to get to?

CG1 Blue

Hi

I'll be going to get my nature/wildlife fix in August this year at Khao Sok National Park, and I'd appreciate any advice around logistics.

I prefer to cut down travel time as much as possible, rather than spend hours on cheaper travel methods such as busses. That's only because I have a limited amount of time - no other reason.

I'll be travelling from Bkk. From my limited research it seems the quickest way might be taking a flight from Don Muang to Surat Thani airport, then staying in Surat Thani for a couple of days and doing day trips to the national park. Is that a good way to do it?

Thanks

Suratthani town is a rather boring city. Too big to be charming and not big enough to offer all the goodies to be found in places like Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Hat Yai. It's also quite far from the park entrance. I suggest staying in one of the many resorts right at the entrance of the park. Another very popular resort is the Cliff and River jungle resort a few km down the road.

On the way from or back to Suratthani airport you should plan a stop at Ratchaprapra dam / lake. Absolutely stunning, and easy and cheap to do a few hour long tail boat tour on the lake. 

One thing to check before you actually book anything is the weather. August could still get quite a bit of rain from the Andaman monsoon, and when there is a danger of flooding the park may shut down. Plus loads of leeches around, so wear socks and long trousers when trekking in the park!

• Like 2

Agreed re Khao Sok. Surat Thani is too far away to use as a base for day trips. The trouble with day trips in this climate is that you get to the site just as it is starting to bake.  You want to stay close to the park gate, so you can be there when it opens, probably at about 8 a.m. At this time of year, it would be nice if they would open at 6 a.m.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

On the way from or back to Suratthani airport you should plan a stop at Ratchaprapra dam / lake. Absolutely stunning, and easy and cheap to do a few hour long tail boat tour on the lake.

Stay on night in one of the floating resorts.

I recommend this one.

http://khaosok-smiley.com/

Agree with Suratthani being boring.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Suratthani town is a rather boring city. Too big to be charming and not big enough to offer all the goodies to be found in places like Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Hat Yai. It's also quite far from the park entrance. I suggest staying in one of the many resorts right at the entrance of the park. Another very popular resort is the Cliff and River jungle resort a few km down the road.

One thing to check before you actually book anything is the weather. August could still get quite a bit of rain from the Andaman monsoon, and when there is a danger of flooding the park may shut down. Plus loads of leeches around, so wear socks and long trousers when trekking in the park!

Great advice, thank you!

1 hour ago, andy said:

First of all, be aware that the jungle part of Khao Sok is a long way from the lake part.  The jungle part is fine as a day trip, but you'll really want to stay in one of the floating cabins on the lake for at least a night, definitely worth it so you can explore a little by kayak the next day.  Both parts are well worth checking out.  Going out on the lake you get hit for a lot of different fees (foreigner price of course).  I still think it is worth it.

Surat Thani is not the best base for doing this as was pointed out already.  Surat is a bit of a hole and you can hit a lot of traffic getting in and out of it.  If you want to do day trips you would be better off flying to Phuket, renting a car, and staying in Khao Lak.  Khao Lak to Khao Sok is a beautiful drive as well.

Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea. I've not really driven much in Thailand, apart from pottering around on a moped on Samui, so it might be better if I used a taxi for the Khao Lak to Khao Sok part.

Food for thought - thanks!

Forget Surat and go directly to Khao Sok.  If you look on the internet, you will see a goodly amount of Resorts to check in to.  One in particular is Baan Khao Sok, which will also do trips to the damn where the floating accommodation is located.  The Owner of the Resort will also do Jungle Walks and speak excellent English and is an all round good Guy.  He will be more than happy to arrange whatever trips you would like and could stay in one of their Tree Houses.  Khao Sok is my favourite place in Thailand to chill.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, robertson468 said:

Forget Surat and go directly to Khao Sok.  If you look on the internet, you will see a goodly amount of Resorts to check in to.  One in particular is Baan Khao Sok, which will also do trips to the damn where the floating accommodation is located.  The Owner of the Resort will also do Jungle Walks and speak excellent English and is an all round good Guy.  He will be more than happy to arrange whatever trips you would like and could stay in one of their Tree Houses.  Khao Sok is my favourite place in Thailand to chill.

I'll take a look at Baan Khao Sok - sounds ideal. And jungle walks really appeal to me.

So from Bangkok is it still best (quickest) to fly to Surat Thani airport from Don Muang?  I mean, Khao Sok is too far from Bkk to go all the way in a taxi right?

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'll take a look at Baan Khao Sok - sounds ideal. And jungle walks really appeal to me.

So from Bangkok is it still best (quickest) to fly to Surat Thani airport from Don Muang?  I mean, Khao Sok is too far from Bkk to go all the way in a taxi right?

Yes, I would be inclined to fly down, then catch a bus to Khao Sok from Surat Thani.  You should be able to book a ticket on the internet and see the travel schedule.  Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

• Thanks 1