Living in Phitsanulok

orientfan

Hi everyone,

We are planning to move to Phitsanulok in the next 6 months. Any thoughts or ideas re: accommodation; new vs. old, building own property OR a good real estate/ property agent is gratefully received.

Thanks a lot!

I lived just outside the city for about 2 years until I moved back to the UK,  There are very few foreigners around and nothing in the way of bars or entertainment,  Cinema rarely has a movie with English sub titles but there is a Central shopping mall.  I found it difficult after living in Pattaya but if you like solitude and seclusion then you might like it.   I assume you would be going with your wife/girlfriend who would have family there and that would be an issue as they might well see you as a meal ticket. I still have a house there which we had built.  Good luck if you do decide to go but go with your eyes open as it really is Thai living in the raw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Don't [go].  

Boring. Flat. Absolutely nothing to recommend it, apart from being on the main railway line to either Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

I have to agree... my family have a farm about 40 ks from P'lok.. I've been quite a few times.. I even started to build a house there on my wife's land.. part of the family farm.. I enjoy a quiet life here in Isaan.. but P'lok is deadly quiet.. with few ferangs living there as far as I can see..  Nice for a visit maybe.. but living there.. no way.. 

Don't take your flippers or snorkel.  It is quite a drive to the seaside from there.  I know one Farang who lives about 3/4 of an hour out of P/Lok.  There is a very big new Big C supermarket in town.  A few Farangs can be seen wandering there.

3 hours ago, bigyin said:

I lived just outside the city for about 2 years until I moved back to the UK,  There are very few foreigners around and nothing in the way of bars or entertainment,  Cinema rarely has a movie with English sub titles but there is a Central shopping mall.  I found it difficult after living in Pattaya but if you like solitude and seclusion then you might like it.   I assume you would be going with your wife/girlfriend who would have family there and that would be an issue as they might well see you as a meal ticket. I still have a house there which we had built.  Good luck if you do decide to go but go with your eyes open as it really is Thai living in the raw.

I'm a foreigner who works with a few other foreigners and know all the foreign bars here. Lots of delicious food and restaurants as well!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blazes said:

Don't [go].  

Boring. Flat. Absolutely nothing to recommend it, apart from being on the main railway line to either Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

P'loke itself is, but it is near all the "phus" - Phu hin tongkla, Phu reur etc. which make good walking and exercise

14 hours ago, Jamie A said:

I'm a foreigner who works with a few other foreigners and know all the foreign bars here. Lots of delicious food and restaurants as well!

10 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Seemed too big an flash to be that old.  Jokes on me.  That will be why the falang have finally found it.

First someone was whingeing about flat ? Like Thailand does not have a lot of FLAT towns? Yeesh
Moving on ............

You two are going to scare the OP off !!  And by the way is the one foreign bar in town still operating or did the Canadian guy already close it?

13 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Seemed too big an flash to be that old.  Jokes on me.  That will be why the falang have finally found it.

Yeah well personally I don't like the P/lock myself only because I don't like towns and cities but P/lock offers very much and falangies can find just about anything they need there so I don't understand the slagging off it's getting here.

2 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

They all seem the same to me.. 7/11, Big C, Hot n Boreing,

Yes.. comes down to family life.. and personal interests to keep you going here.  If you ain't got those you are in trouble..

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 7:35 PM, LomSak27 said:

First someone was whingeing about flat ? Like Thailand does not have a lot of FLAT towns? Yeesh
Moving on ............

You two are going to scare the OP off !!  And by the way is the one foreign bar in town still operating or did the Canadian guy already close it?

Still open