TM30 explained for landlords and tenants

Just now, WorriedNoodle said:

I noticed when I went to the IO last time about 3 months ago having been in country several months the IO was wavering the fine for non TM30 compliance as I wasn't aware it was needed from moment I arrived in country, but she wouldn't let me submit a new TM30 until a fine was paid. I left the country soon after so skipped the TM30. 

Why don't the IO make all aware of the laws with big signs at all airports if this is going mainstream? 

We are trying to let people know, but there is some resistance to knowledge, and the idea that Thailand will remain how many of still remember it to be. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

One by one and no hurry as I have other things I am doing . But, I will answer.

Not my only source but interesting as it involves Thai Visa

As somebody said already, links to Bangkokpost are not allowed, but i got it ?

One guy in your article says you have to carry it, the other guy says you don't. This is about as helpful as your first post, because it's just confusing.

We are talking about laws, so there is only one single relevant source: The law. Tell us which law and which section of the law says that we have to carry our passport with us all the time, that's the only source we need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

There are to my knowledge 3 ways to do 90 day report:

1) in person

2) by mail

3) internet

since mail and Internet reporting do not have option/requirement for TM30, my contention is when you report in person you will not be asked for a TM30.

Moved ti the Thai visa forum.

I can't say re reporting in person for a 90 day report, as it is years since I have had to do that,  but my Imm Office definitely does check for TM30 when you apply for an extension of stay.

At present they seem content to have one for every time you have entered the country and are nto requiring it after  overnight stays away from home within the country.  Fingers crossed that this does not change.

• Like 1

Just now, sandrabbit said:

it's also 4 years old and 2 police generals have gone on record since saying that a driving licence is acceptable.

As i said. Not the only source.

Just want people talking and finding out the facts.

To be honest it only matters what is said in the law regardless of any comments by Individual officers, regardless of rank. Yes it influences the fact of when and where the law is applied but it doesn't change the law.

I am happy you are interested and look forward to more of your research into lots of things.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Retirement-desk handles agent-submitted (extra fee) applications from all over Thailand, and is flush with cash, so seem to leave retirees alone.

The "retirement desk" wouldn't be the one fining you and retirement extension applications for any particular immigration office  wouldn't  be received  "from all over Thailand."

3 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

As i said. Not the only source.

Just want people talking and finding out the facts.

To be honest it only matters what is said in the law regardless of any comments by Individual officers, regardless of rank. Yes it influences the fact of when and where the law is applied but it doesn't change the law.

I am happy you are interested and look forward to more of your research into lots of things.

I'm still waiting for you to provide the law and section of the law that says we have to carry our passport all the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I can't say re reporting in person for a 90 day report,

I was asked 3 months ago for TM30 receipt when I went for my 90 day report. The IO wavered the fine for not having one but said that was the last warning for me.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

I'm still waiting for you to provide the law and section of the law that says we have to carry our passport all the time.

As I said I have lots to do and will go through when i can. please be patient. i do have work to do

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

To be honest. You are not my Wife, Mother or Boss so please continue waiting and doing your own research while I am busy doing other things.

No offence intended but you are rather impatient.

• Sad 1

My personal experience: was in April & May in Bangkok. Landlords went to Chatanawah for a TM30, both were sent back ( " no need " ).

Came back to Pattaya to my condo and went to Immigration Jomtien.

No TM30 needed when one come back from a trip inside Thailand to the place he was staying before and known by Immigration, I was told.

20 hours ago, sam neuts said:

Remember foreigners should carry their passport at all times according to Thai Law

This old chestnut again!!!

Last time this issue arose the head of immigration in Bangkok announced that carrying a copy was sufficient. So as well as my passport copy I also carry a copy of his announcement, just in case it needs to be shown. But in 12 winters mostly in NE Esaan I have never been asked for it except for once on a long distance bus when I had, and always would have,  my passport with me anyway.

• Thanks 1

So, although I have been at my address for 2 years and have completed a TM 30, if I stay at a hotel for 1 night in the same province, does it mean that I have to re report my address before I do my next 30 day report?? Seems absurd.

I went for a Chiang Rai to Mae Sai border hop to get 30 day exempt and when I went for an extension of it the IO asked if my address was registered.  I assumed yes, but leaving the country for even an hour wipes your info she said.

She also told me anytime I stayed at a guesthouse I would have to do another TM30 when I got home.  At Chiang Rai Immigration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

As somebody said already, links to Bangkokpost are not allowed, but i got it ?

One guy in your article says you have to carry it, the other guy says you don't. This is about as helpful as your first post, because it's just confusing.

We are talking about laws, so there is only one single relevant source: The law. Tell us which law and which section of the law says that we have to carry our passport with us all the time, that's the only source we need.

How about these ones.

3  years ago Pol.Col. Thanasak confirmed the following:

1. By law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception to this. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000 THB fine. The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country.

2. The information provided at an Immigration meeting yesterday was unclear. The correct information, which has always been the case, is that no other forms of identification are acceptable. This includes any other form of photo ID, such as a Thai/foreign driving license or a photocopy of your passport.

3. Immigration does not provide any kind of ‘stamp’ verification on a photocopy of a passport as announced at the meeting yesterday. Therefore, you are required to keep your original passport with you at all times as per point #1 above.

&

2016 BANGKOK:-- Police have called on foreigners to carry their passports with them at all times in order to help officers crackdown on transnational crime.

On Friday evening, officers from Lumpini and Thonglor police raided entertainment venues and set up two police checkpoints in order to ensure that foreigners were carrying either their original passport or a photocopy with them.

The operation led by Pol. Lt. Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, Metropolitan Police Commander, saw raids on 15 entertainment venues.

Pol. Lt. Gen Sanit also revealed that passport control checkpoints were set up outside the Grace Hotel, Soi Nana and the Asoke Montri intersection.

Take a look at the UK government website too.

I can see you like to keep busy.

And don't be too serious. Its only a discussion group.

More up to date stuff available. If you cant find it.

18 hours ago, moana said:

Is it really necessary to go to immigration and fill out a TM30 when returning to Thailand? The TM6 we fill out when entering includes an address in Thailand.

Exactly

6 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

How about these ones.

3  years ago Pol.Col. Thanasak confirmed the following:

1. By law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception to this. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000 THB fine. The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country.

2. The information provided at an Immigration meeting yesterday was unclear. The correct information, which has always been the case, is that no other forms of identification are acceptable. This includes any other form of photo ID, such as a Thai/foreign driving license or a photocopy of your passport.

3. Immigration does not provide any kind of ‘stamp’ verification on a photocopy of a passport as announced at the meeting yesterday. Therefore, you are required to keep your original passport with you at all times as per point #1 above.

&

2016 BANGKOK:-- Police have called on foreigners to carry their passports with them at all times in order to help officers crackdown on transnational crime.

On Friday evening, officers from Lumpini and Thonglor police raided entertainment venues and set up two police checkpoints in order to ensure that foreigners were carrying either their original passport or a photocopy with them.

The operation led by Pol. Lt. Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, Metropolitan Police Commander, saw raids on 15 entertainment venues.

Pol. Lt. Gen Sanit also revealed that passport control checkpoints were set up outside the Grace Hotel, Soi Nana and the Asoke Montri intersection.

Take a look at the UK government website too.

I can see you like to keep busy.

And don't be too serious. Its only a discussion group.

More up to date stuff available. If you cant find it.

Is this too difficult to understand for you? You don't need to copy a wall of text from some news sites who write what they want.

Just tell us the law and the exact section where it says a foreigner has to carry the passport all the time

Doesn't exist? Stop spreading false information

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

This is exactly what a discussion group should be.

Lots of different opinions and stories from people who have never had a problem through to people that have.

Of course there is no clear solution because enforcement of the laws change regularly along with the laws themselves.

Everyone makes their own choice on what path to follow but always good to hear about others experiences and maybe learn some things.

Is there a YES or NO answer to any of these topics?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Is this too difficult to understand for you? You don't need to copy a wall of text from some news sites who write what they want.

Just tell us the law and the exact section where it says a foreigner has to carry the passport all the time

Doesn't exist? Stop spreading false information

What is false?

Both stories I copied and posted were in the media and on TV

• Sad 1

To the OP...Thanks for this useful info. and sorry some people have decided to shoot the messenger!Just because a law is not consistently enforced changes nothing,and a wise person tries to look ahead and plan accordingly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This:

You make me smile Jack.

Tell me, Tell me, Tell me

""No

Go to your room and do your homework, like a good boy.

Try some contributions, and finding something that proves you are correct, and then come tell us""

Or read a few of the other posts where they are putting some information and what has happened to them.

I will justify with follow up info for anything I have said (when i feel like it) but I don't remember claiming to know everything. Just a discussion which you are welcome to contribute too.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, sam neuts said:

You make me smile Jack.

Tell me, Tell me, Tell me

""No

Go to your room and do your homework, like a good boy.

Try some contributions, and finding something that proves you are correct, and then come tell us""

Or read a few of the other posts where they are putting some information and what has happened to them.

I will justify with follow up info for anything I have said (when i feel like it) but I don't remember claiming to know everything. Just a discussion which you are welcome to contribute too.

I can't find a law that doesn't exist. You claim such a law exists.

And by now you probably saw that it doesn't exist and you refuse to change your opinion but just keep posting nonsense

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chang50 said:

To the OP...Thanks for this useful info. and sorry some people have decided to shoot the messenger!Just because a law is not consistently enforced changes nothing,and a wise person tries to look ahead and plan accordingly.

Thanks, but I am big and ugly enough to speak to anyone that wants to listen, and old enough to ignore the ones who have no real interest in the point of the discussion.

Laws ARE changing and I think its worth knowing about the changes.

A discussion group (controversial or not)  allows people to share experiences and maybe a few will save themselves a fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

I asked about the TM30 at Phetchabun Immigration, as I was going to Bangkok for one night. They told me they weren't interested in getting a TM30, as I wasn't leaving the country.

Different everywhere and at different times and different officers.

Thanks for your input

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kimchibob said:

I did a 90 Day Report at the Jomtien office today. Although there is a TM30 stapled in my passport, the officer did not even look at it.

I know. And many others report getting fined at the same office.

Different days, different rules eh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1