TM30 explained for landlords and tenants

On 6/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, Horace said:

This sentence uses the word "should", but is there any Thai law that says that foreigners MUST carry their passports at all times?  I have seen this claim made, but I have never seen anyone cite a law that actually says this. 

As far as I know there is no law that says that foreigners must carry their passports at all times, but you may find this information useful:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719631-passport-check-on-the-road/?do=findComment&comment=7711071

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/719631-passport-check-on-the-road/?do=findComment&comment=7714487

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Maestro said:

As far as I know there is no law that says that foreigners must carry their passports at all times, but you may find this information useful:

I read on a UK web site it's recommended to carry a copy of your passport when on holiday as ID.

If you live here or a part-timer and have a Thai DL that is usually accepted as ID.

There's advice on what's a requirement to carry in car/truck/bike too for covenants which I do but they have never been needed in my 13 years when stopped only my Thai DL. 

I was a boy-scout though ( Be prepared ). 

On 6/7/2018 at 2:50 AM, JackThompson said:

> Remember foreigners should carry their passport at all times according to Thai Law. 

False again. Many articles and speeches of high ranked Police officers on this subject. An official ID such as a Thai Driving Licence is enough.

This is a matter of enforcement - it is the law you should have it.  You are very unlikely to be arrested for not having it if you have a copy of the face-page and current permitted-stay stamp (which I keep on a laminated card and pics on my phone) - even less likely if you have a Thai drivers license.  But it is recommended that you have "easy access" to your passport, such that a friend or relative can bring it quickly if need-be.

It is not necessary to have "easy access". Just tell them your lawyer has it. That was the advice from a lawyer, even if you actually have it - don't show it. Only show a copy. If they complain, call your lawyer. Of course, you should always have your lawyer's number on speed dial, and have one that offers good service and has your back.

• Like 1

We are off topic here, discussing the suggestion or recommendation to carry one's passport at all times. Enough of this; let's return to the topic at hand, ie the TM. 30 requirement 

• Like 1

I really think it is incorrect a new TM 30 is needed after being away from the residence  within Thailand   but only after  leaving the country.

Of course since all rules are applied spuriously from office to office, even desk to desk... 

What a gawd awful bad decision it was to retire here.

Edited by PhuketSarah
  • Like 1

I often wonder why immigration does not  stamp  the passport certify the actual place of living acc to Bluebook or Yellow book. TM 30 and 24 h reporting are remains of pre IT times. Where ever you go you always return and TM 6... if registred at the IT system at point of entrance, no need for more paperwork. 90 day reporting on line, good idea if working on all platforms.

2 hours ago, Athens said:

I often wonder why immigration does not  stamp  the passport certify the actual place of living

More wasted pages in your passport.  It is bad enough with all the in/out stamps. 

Would only suite those who do not travel out of their Thai home. 

NO More stamps in the passport please.

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 10:21 PM, KittenKong said:

For what it's worth - and I am fully aware that the application of rules here changes with the direction of the wind and the time of day - that does not seem to apply in Jomtien if you live in your own condo, and you are on a retirement extension, and you are returning to your usual address.

Offices in the sticks seem to apply this rule much more stringently.

I asked the IO at Phitsanulok when getting my re-entry visa. He said it was not necessary to file a TM30 on my return as I was going back to my home.

• 4 weeks later...

What happens in the scenario that one arrives in BKK on a Friday changes planes the sand day to go to Chiang Mai the same day but too late to visit the Immigration office?

Presumably it an extension allows till Monday morning or not?

19 minutes ago, stament said:

What happens in the scenario that one arrives in BKK on a Friday changes planes the sand day to go to Chiang Mai the same day but too late to visit the Immigration office?

You do the TM30 report on Monday.

• Like 1

If immigration now has increased interest in TM30 and possibly 28,

why on earth are arriving pax not informed of this when entering the country.

Airport IO should hand out 30s and 28s when stamping in pax.

Because it has no effect on the vast majority of tourists who never have to visit an Immigration office in Thailand! Long-stay visitors on Extensions have to familiarise themselves with visa regulations.

It would be better if the regulations were applied uniformly, as Bangkok still does not require TM30 forms.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Because not everybody has to do the reports. I would guess most are tourists that only stay in hotels and etc that do the TM30 reporting online or will have no need to go to an immigration office that asks for them.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2018 at 2:11 AM, ubonjoe said:

Because not everybody has to do the reports. I would guess most are tourists that only stay in hotels and etc that do the TM30 reporting online or will have no need to go to an immigration office that asks for them.

That's exactly what I (a tourist) sometimes have to do. If I get a SETV and decide to stay for more than 60 days, I either have to download and complete a TM30 and hand it in at Jomtien, or get the place I stay to give me a printout of their submission to Immigration. Immigration seem to like the latter approach and have given me back the TM30 for the past 2 visits.

You Ubonjoe, have helped me with this in the past.

It may also be that if you are renting from a foreigner you could be asked to show the foreigner landlord has a work permit and tax receipts.

I've heard of one such case when a teacher was renewing his visa. He had to find a new place to rent from a Thai. 

Haven't heard it being asked for  when doing TM30 but things are stirring. 

Have a rippa day.

• 2 months later...

It is a few months since i added this post regarding TM30 and i think people are starting to notice that enforcement is now becoming more strict.

You may also have noted that if you are not carrying a passport (it is possible) you may get picked up during current immigration sweeps.

There are a lot of changes going on throughout Thailand, and they are being enforced.

Don't bury your head in the sand.

Hotel Licences, Immigration, TM30 Submissions, Visas, Nominee Company Shareholders, Tax and many more.

Stay up to date.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

You may also have noted that if you are not carrying a passport (it is possible) you may get picked up during current immigration sweeps.

And here you come again with your "fear" project :cool:

No need to carry passport for tourists or resident (as long as you have it not far: hotel, home...)

Confirmed several times by high ranked officers.

No heard of tourists arrested for that for a long time...:unsure:

Back to the topic title of TM.30, I read a post the other day that the Bangkok immigration officer asked a foreigner doing his extension of stay for this form. As Bangkok previously did no enforce this notification for foreigners arriving at a private residence, this appears to be big news. 

And here you come again with your "fear" project :cool:
No need to carry passport for tourists or resident (as long as you have it not far: hotel, home...)
Confirmed several times by high ranked officers.
No heard of tourists arrested for that for a long time...:unsure:
Facts, not fear if you are following the news and Thailand future development plans.

Not here trying to worry anyone, and we offer all our "project" details and information free.

There is a very recent video of someone in Pattaya being taken back to Immigration for not carrying Passport.

Yes, I am sure if you have some other suitable ID you will be OK (most times).

Hotel raids are continuing and closures for no licence.

TM30's are being enforced.

Lawyers offices have been raided for company and nominee shareholders papers.

Companies are receiving the City Hall bills for backdated building/land tax. 12.5%.

These things ARE happening.

Better to be aware of what is going on than pretending its not happening, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

There is a very recent video of someone in Pattaya being taken back to Immigration for not carrying Passport.

I saw this video. There is a huge difference between a tourist who let his passport in his hotel and this African illegal worker who has no idea where his passport really is ! :tongue:

• Like 1

I saw this video. There is a huge difference between a tourist who let his passport in his hotel and this African illegal worker who has no idea where his passport really is ! :tongue:
And you think that is the ONLY case throughout Thailand?

I dont care if you or anyone else carries their Passport, pay taxes, stay in an illegal hotel, have 800,000 THB put in their bank by an agent to get a retirement visa, work without a visa, wear a helmet or have nominee shareholders.

It is just information (not directions) for people to decide themselves if they want to comply with any or all of Thailands many laws, and the current changes in policy of enforcement.

If you think Thailand is not going to change that is your choice, but in 20 years i have seen a lot of changes already. And they didnt have the technology they have now.

Go to your city hall if you own a property in a company name and they will show you everything from how many years you owe in back payments to annual google map shots of any building changes they have noticed over the years.

We didnt get our bill for 10 years. BUT eventually it arrived with a 21 day payment notice.

I wasnt avoiding the annual payment. I just didnt know about it.

Same as i didnt know you can get 10 years or 100,000 THB fine for an e-cigarette until a friend got caught last year.

I prefer to know.

And you think that is the ONLY case throughout Thailand?

I dont care if you or anyone else carries their Passport, pay taxes, stay in an illegal hotel, have 800,000 THB put in their bank by an agent to get a retirement visa, work without a visa, wear a helmet or have nominee shareholders.

It is just information (not directions) for people to decide themselves if they want to comply with any or all of Thailands many laws, and the current changes in policy of enforcement.

If you think Thailand is not going to change that is your choice, but in 20 years i have seen a lot of changes already. And they didnt have the technology they have now.

Go to your city hall if you own a property in a company name and they will show you everything from how many years you owe in back payments to annual google map shots of any building changes they have noticed over the years.

We didnt get our bill for 10 years. BUT eventually it arrived with a 21 day payment notice.

I wasnt avoiding the annual payment. I just didnt know about it.

Same as i didnt know you can get 10 years or 100,000 THB fine for an e-cigarette until a friend got caught last year.

I prefer to know.

I didnt know about this until i read today:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1063475-thai-law-foreigners-need-business-visas-to-attend-meetings/?utm_source=newsletter-20181019-0608&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

The new commander of the immigration division, who took office on 1 October, I believe, was previously a bigshot in the tourist police division and earned himself a reputation for hunting down foreign criminals, including overstayers and owners of guesthouses and house-masters of private residences who did not notify the arrival of foreigners to immigration. Could this be part of the reason for an increase in raids on condominium buildings where many foreigners live and a new emphasis on police checks for the purpose of flushing out foreigners without a valid permission to stay?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sam neuts said:

Are you a concerned expat that wants to make us all concerned or what?

Last time you "did not have a lot of time", what's been keeping you busy?

2 hours ago, sam neuts said:

It is a few months since i added this post regarding TM30 and i think people are starting to notice that enforcement is now becoming more strict.

There are a lot of changes going on throughout Thailand, and they are being enforced.

Don't bury your head in the sand.

Hotel Licences, Immigration, TM30 Submissions, Visas, Nominee Company Shareholders, Tax and many more.

Stay up to date.

Thanks for the warning. The only time I carry my passport is when I'm going to the immigration office, visiting my embassy or travelling. The rest of the time it is locked up in my safe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

Thanks for the warning. The only time I carry my passport is when I'm going to the immigration office, visiting my embassy or travelling. The rest of the time it is locked up in my safe.

Me too...but I always carry my Thai DL and a copy of my passport and visa pages on my mobile phone.

Don't worry too much. If you behave like a normal person this should be enough.

• Like 1

The new commander of the immigration division, who took office on 1 October, I believe, was previously a bigshot in the tourist police division and earned himself a reputation for hunting down foreign criminals, including overstayers and owners of guesthouses and house-masters of private residences who did not notify the arrival of foreigners to immigration. Could this be part of the reason for an increase in raids on condominium buildings where many foreigners live and a new emphasis on police checks for the purpose of flushing out foreigners without a valid permission to stay?
I am sure his ambition does not stop there and in my opinion he is great news for Thailand.

He is just as happy to stop corruption in his own offices as he is to get rid of unwanted and illegal foreigners who stay in Thailand.

Good luck to him.