TM30 explained for landlords and tenants

The law applies to all foreigners in the kingdom regardless of your visa or choice of accommodation.

A quick question at immigration will confirm for you.

You dont seem to understand me.

Jomtien does NOT currently require that a new TM30 be submitted by people in the situation I described. Unless perhaps the immigration people there have changed their minds (again) within the last month. I seem to remember reading that Bangkok does not require it either.

Yes, the law is indeed the law but it is not uniformly applied throughout the country. This may change, of course.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sam neuts said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you will find if you check with immigration my post is correct.

Personally I say to people check with your local immigration office if you have any questions on what is required in Thailand everytime you go.

They change requirements and move goal posts so to speak all the time, my marriage extension was a much longer process this year.

Question what is it 2 months or 3 months showing retirement/ marriage extension lump some amounts. 

We lived in Thailand for many years.

Added to the Thai economy a nice amount

Two years After the Coup we left 2016

Now we visit 3 months a year

Stay in our home

Do not comply with any BS

Leave after 3 months

Never enter Immigration

Like it better this way

Screw their hoops we ain't jumping ?

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You dont seem to understand me.

Jomtien does NOT currently require that a new TM30 be submitted by people in the situation I described. Unless perhaps the immigration people there have changed their minds (again) within the last month. I seem to remember reading that Bangkok does not require it either.

Yes, the law is indeed the law but it is not uniformly applied throughout the country. This may change, of course.

Please see the TM30 attachment in the other post.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Personally I say to people check with your local immigration office if you have any questions on what is required in Thailand everytime you go.

They change requirements and move goal posts so to speak all the time, my marriage extension was a much longer process this year.

Question what is it 2 months or 3 months showing retirement/ marriage extension lump some amounts. 

Agreed and you can even print the TM30 I have attached and take it with you, to make sure.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They would tell you that they don't want you if you show up with it

I fully understand that the laws are not being enforced everywhere at all times.

20 years ago they never stopped me for riding with no motorcycle helmet and didn't care if I had a licence either.

Things change. You can either wait and hope it doesn't affect you, or you can learn to comply with the laws that WILL be enforced over time.

For me. I like to be aware of the laws that will affect me are.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

And if the TM30 causes such a nuisance. 

Imagine when they start to enforce the TM28.

This is for foreigners who stay in a different place for 24 hours.

TM28.doc

Some provinces want a TM28, obviously you are not up to date

19 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

There are to my knowledge 3 ways to do 90 day report:

1) in person

2) by mail

3) internet

since mail and Internet reporting do not have option/requirement for TM30, my contention is when you report in person you will not be asked for a TM30.

Unfortunately that is yet another flaw in the system that they will eventually resolve.

The enforcement is so random at this time, which is why it is unfair to the ones who are getting caught and paying when they report to immigration, for not obeying the law.

Of course it is not going to happen everywhere overnight, but it is coming.

I remember being able to smoke on aeroplane flights, and now people would not dream of it.

I remember being able to park my motorbike ANYWHERE in Thailand and not getting clamped, towed, fined or told I couldn't park there.

Things change, and we are just trying to make people aware of the changes that ARE coming.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Some provinces want a TM28, obviously you are not up to date

I am not saying all provinces, all people, at all times.

Just making people aware of laws in existence, that many have no idea exist and maybe interested in.

Discussion groups and the reasons people use them. Surely its about things that maybe of interest to some people. Not all are interested in the same things. The TM28 is just an example.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

I am not saying all provinces, all people, at all times.

Just making people aware of laws in existence, that many have no idea exist and maybe interested in.

Discussion groups and the reasons people use them. Surely its about things that maybe of interest to some people. Not all are interested in the same things. The TM28 is just an example.

Yes, indeed

But the problem with your information is that some of it is just wrong

Some of your information is true for some provinces (or situations), but not for all, but you don't give a hint that it might be different at different provinces or in different situations

And when i asked you where you got the strange idea from that people who leave Thailand will be questioned about TM30 you just said you can't provide any source, so probably you just made this up yourself

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, indeed

But the problem with your information is that some of it is just wrong

Some of your information is true for some provinces (or situations), but not for all, but you don't give a hint that it might be different at different provinces or in different situations

And when i asked you where you got the strange idea from that people who leave Thailand will be questioned about TM30 you just said you can't provide any source, so probably you just made this up yourself

I fully accept your criticism and will happily provide all the FULL information you want in the future. But not now.

My intention is to get people looking and discussing the TM30 (and other things) which when I arrived in Thailand 20 years ago didn't as far as I know even exist.

There are a lot of new laws and a lot of old laws being brought in and I think people should be aware and discuss them.

If I am factually wrong under the laws that are being discussed please let me know.

This is about Thailand and I cant post for each individual case or areas, only the general laws as I see them and the information I find when I research them.

If you have some legal factual information that you want to share, please do.

I don't pretend to be a Guru. Just offering some legal info i found that should be discussed. I fully admit that I haven't read all the topics on TV or anywhere else so I don't know what has already been said in other discussions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, happysanook said:

Nothing more than an additional excuse to get foreigners to cough up more dough

Yet in Bangkok, I assume the place with the most foreigners,  no TM30.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

Of course it is not going to happen everywhere overnight, but it is coming.

Or you could look at the glass as half-full and say it's not coming, it's going away, which is why most places don't bother with it. And it's an old, clumsy system.

I agree with the o/p. When I travel outside Bangkok and stay months at a time and need to do a 90 day update or visit IO outside Bangkok for some reason I have been threatened with a 5000THB fine for not having done a TM30 on my arrival in country (at Bangkok). Now every time I land in Bangkok and stay I walk to the post office and send a self addressed envelope along with TM28/TM30 forms completed, I put in all my paperwork inc pp, housebook and ownership copies for my place in Bangkok. I get the receipts back from Chaeng Wattana to hold in my passport about 10 days later. I am on a retirement extension since 2009 and notice the TM30 requirement in the past 12 months. If I go and stay in a hotel one night outside Bangkok or somewhere I may be reported as staying, I will send the whole lot off again when I get back to Bangkok. Not a biggie for me with the post service option and no more threats of 5000THB fines. Hope they enjoy all the papers they amass at CW!

19 hours ago, sam neuts said:

A TM30 is required to be completed within 24 hours of arrival at whichever building a foreigner is staying in.

This applies to ALL foreigners regardless of, if they are visiting Thailand for a short holiday, or if they are living here more permanently.

The landlord (your own house or condo) or the possesor (you rent a condo (not a hotel or apartment) or house in your name) of the residence has to submit the TM30, so if we look at all foreigners in Thailand probably less than 1% ever have to submit a TM30 by themself

Or

If they are traveling to different places within Thailand. A TM30 is required for any overnight stays.

For travellers staying in hotels or other accommodation, that is properly organised. The accommodation provider will have an online account with the immigration department and submit your information online, without you needing to do anything.

You can request a copy if you like.

For other foreigners, maybe living here or staying longer periods.

You need to either have your landlord go to immigration with the correct documents and your passport copy.

You don't "need" to do anything, because it's your landlords (unless you are the landlord or possesor of the residence) responsibility to submit the TM30 and not yours

Or

You need to do it yourself.

You can't even do it for yourself, unless you are the landlord or possesor of the residence. Of course he can give you a power of attorney so that you can do it for him.

It needs to be done within 24 hours of your arrival, so if you are then staying at your same home for months, you do not have to do it again. Until you stay somewhere else, even for a night.

Registration is very important if you are staying in a "Hotel" with no licence (especially condominiums providing illegal daily/weekly rentals).

TheTM30 is required under immigration law, and it will cause more problems if buildings are inspected, which is happening very frequently now.

The hotel has to submit the TM30 that you are staying with them. If they don't do it they can be fined. Why do i care if the hotel might be fined? That's their problem

They are now asking for your TM30 when you report to immigration for your 90 day report, which obviously only applies to long stay visitors.

They will in the near future be asking travellers leaving the country why the TM30 has not been completed. This information is available on their computer terminal and linked to your passport and to the NEW design arrival/departure card and to every immigration point throughout Thailand.

As said before, this doesn't make any sense and you can't provide a source....

It will take time to implement the new system and enforce the regulations, but they are coming.

The TM30 is a separate piece of paper which you should keep with your passport and departure card.

Remember foreigners should carry their passport at all times according to Thai Law.

Such a law doesn't exist, the law only says that everybody has to be able to identify himself, it doesn't say on the spot within 1 minute.

I corrected your first post a bit, my remarks in bold

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I agree with the o/p. When I travel outside Bangkok and stay months at a time and need to do a 90 day update or visit IO outside Bangkok for some reason I have been threatened with a 5000THB fine for not having done a TM30 on my arrival in country (at Bangkok). Now every time I land in Bangkok and stay I walk to the post office and send a self addressed envelope along with TM28/TM30 forms completed, I put in all my paperwork inc pp, housebook and ownership copies for my place in Bangkok. I get the receipts back from Chaeng Wattana to hold in my passport about 10 days later. I am on a retirement extension since 2009 and notice the TM30 requirement in the past 12 months. If I go and stay in a hotel one night outside Bangkok or somewhere I may be reported as staying, I will send the whole lot off again when I get back to Bangkok. Not a biggie for me with the post service option and no more threats of 5000THB fines. Hope they enjoy all the papers they amass at CW!

Always better to know you are living legally even if the laws aren't to your liking.

I understand this hasn't applied to everyone which is why it is a problem. 

We are only trying to raise awareness and hopefully a few will avoid having problems in the future.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, sam neuts said:

The law applies to all foreigners in the kingdom regardless of your visa or choice of accommodation.

Now that part is certainly not correct, as it doesn't apply to those with PR status.

The TM30 / TM28 compliance has been discussed dozens upon dozens of times within TVF, so not really sure why another new thread is needed to discuss the same subject, a quick search would have found them, there is even a new one running in the Thai visas, residency and work permit section right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

One by one and no hurry as I have other things I am doing . But, I will answer.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/print/436133/

Not my only source but interesting as it involves Thai Visa

you're going to get a row for posting a link to a Bangkok Post article, not allowed

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I corrected your first post a bit, my remarks in bold

Let me know when you are happy with each answer.

First question answered in link is the requirement to carry your original passport.

More info available if required but please be nice. I am not trying to spread false information or do any harm.

Only information to discuss and as i said before. I am not a Guru and I accept if i write something incorrectly which makes it difficult to understand. Apologies

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

trying to raise awareness

I noticed when I went to the IO last time about 3 months ago having been in country several months the IO was wavering the fine for non TM30 compliance as I wasn't aware it was needed from moment I arrived in country, but she wouldn't let me submit a new TM30 until a fine was paid. I left the country soon after so skipped the TM30. 

Why don't the IO make all aware of the laws with big signs at all airports if this is going mainstream? 

1 minute ago, sam neuts said:

Sorry I didn't know.

How can i show link source information?

it's also 4 years old and 2 police generals have gone on record since saying that a driving licence is acceptable.

• Like 1