Thai, foreign tourists urged to help reduce marine waste

rooster59

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It might help if they addressed the full scale of the problem, which isn't just rubbish at the beaches. Every river, stream and Khlong nationwide is full of garbage. It needs a nationwide campaign of awareness to even start to slow the problem.

Awareness is futile unless they actually fix the infrastructure. 

I'm as "aware" as almost anyone, militant about not littering, declining plastic bags at 7/11 and often picking up litter others leave behind.

But I feel a little stupid expending the energy when I know that the litter, for which I have taken the effort to do my part, is likely to end up in the sea anyway because the waste handling infrastructure is decimated by corruption. 

That being the case, I can't blame the locals for being less than diligent about getting their litter into a bin.  What's the use?  It's just going to end up in the sea anyway.

• Like 1

Why dont the foreigners just take over the running of things in the tourist areas? We can impose penalties and restrictions as we have at home and everything will be good. Oh I forgot, the locals wont like being fined for dropping their rubbish all over

looks like Jomtien beach yesterday, will check today, been like it for 3 days, i see the guys trimming the trees, but i suppose the beach mess is not a priority. (as per usual)
Still some rubbish.
P_20180609_114847.jpeg

Start by installing free drinkingwater taps ON ALL touristic (or busy) spots so they can refill their waterbottles. Also start charging refund money on plastic bottles.

I drink BKK water for over a decade, filtered and unfiltered (bought a filter after the big flood) and have never been sick.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:29 AM, madmitch said:

Karon Beach yesterday. A mass of driftwood, plastic and glass bottles, flip flops, Styrofoam and general waste. Looking at some of the bottles, a lot of the trash had been washed up from Malaysia.

The no swimming sign was rather superfluous!IMG_20180608_174957.jpegIMG_20180608_180108.jpeg

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Driftwood can be made into art or furniture, tourists will pay a fortune for it......

On 6/8/2018 at 10:29 PM, madmitch said:

Karon Beach yesterday. A mass of driftwood, plastic and glass bottles, flip flops, Styrofoam and general waste. Looking at some of the bottles, a lot of the trash had been washed up from Malaysia.

The no swimming sign was rather superfluous!IMG_20180608_174957.jpegIMG_20180608_180108.jpeg

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Paradise Lost.  Hell Hole 4.0

On 6/9/2018 at 7:59 AM, Black arab said:

Two above posts spot on, do the authorities choose the wrong words or is it the reporting .Or maybe they just dont get it.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:05 AM, Get Real said:

Don´t worry. They don´t get!

Bloody foreigners again...

• Haha 2

On 6/9/2018 at 5:37 PM, khunPer said:

According to a recent Scientific study, 90% of sea pollution comes from rivers – perhaps that's where to begin a campaign, don't dump your garbage in rivers...
Link: 10 rivers are responsible for 90% of the plastic in the ocean (New York Post)

And 8 of those rivers are in Asia ?

Thailand clocks in at number 7 on this chart:

https://www.statista.com/chart/12211/the-countries-polluting-the-oceans-the-most/

chartoftheday_12211_the_countries_pollut

• Thanks 1

As usual they have completely missed the issue. This so called Tourism and Sports Minister seems to regularly release nonsense statements. 

Marine waste isn't the problem. The issue of waste, mainly plastic waste, goes far far deeper and will require some serious nationwide action to fix. Simple things like having adequate trash bins would be a small start, yet strolling around Bangkok you hardly see any except for outside some 7/11s.