Pink ID Card. Benefits?

22 hours ago, elviajero said:

Why? The ID card doesn't change your immigration or residency status, or your nationality.

Seems they scan the card using the same reader they use for credit/debit card payments. I would think the scan verifies your payment eligibility.

21 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

It seems that the healthcare database is now centralised meaning that separate registration cards are no longer accepted  or required at hospitals. Last year when I registered at Suranaree University Hospital I was not issued with a card as at other hospitals but I was told to use my pink ID card should I seek medical treatment there. Of course, not everyone will benefit in this way but it is one way that the pink card has become more useful, to me anyway.

I would agree it makes life a lot easier at hospitals. Earlier this year I registered at Bang Saen and with the Pink ID used the Thai reg form, if you use the foreign reg form you must use a passport. Not sure if it affects the prices but at my last appointment I got some more blood pressure tablets and they were about two thirds the the price I had been paying at Fascino on Pattaya North Road.

I have had the free flu jab and used the mobile health clinic, staff never batted an eyelid.

The biggest benefit however was at the Cancer Hospital. When I went a few years ago they took my passport and attached it to the docs with a large paper clip and as you move around the depts the docs are put in trays and then picked up as a bundle by the staff. I tried to keep an eye on its progress and a one point saw it drop to the floor, the staff noticed and immediately picked it up.

When I went in December I used the pink ID card and it was just the same as the Thais, put in a small plastic wallet which was then stapled to the docs, much better arrangement.

Free of charge and one hour of your time, its well worth it.

• Like 2

just went thru some land transfer stuff at the provincial court and the adjudicator there was much more comfortable with my pink card and yellow book than with my passport...

the card and the book can be useful in unexpected ways...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 10:46 PM, Damrongsak said:

I had one back in 1977 when I worked at the Land Development Dept. as a Peace Corps volunteer.  Never carried a passport.

you did not need it...as you were a govt official from .. you just had an ID card issued from PC and your site ...???

8 hours ago, Rhys said:

you did not need it...as you were a govt official from .. you just had an ID card issued from PC and your site ...???

Yeah.  And apparently I didn't need any license plates for my motorcycle either, 555.  I did have a lifetime driver's license but never carried any paperwork for the bike.  Cops at the checkpoints just liked to chat.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:09 AM, Big Guns said:

Its better to hsve the blue Thai National ID card like I have. You have to get Thai citizenship first though.

It's weird as I've told a couple of colleagues that I'm in the process of getting Thai citizenship and they both said that they had a Thai ID card already, when in fact it was only the pink Non-Thai ID card.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 10:31 AM, Boon Mee said:

Chief benefit is the Thai price on National Park fees.

Side benefits are you don't need to lug your Yellow Book around. 

Also, registering at hotels is even faster and easier than using your Thai Driver's License. 

Whenever I have registered/booked in at an hotel, they photocopy either my passport or Thai Driving license. Please, how can the Pink Card make it quicker and easier?

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Whenever I have registered/booked in at an hotel, they photocopy either my passport or Thai Driving license. Please, how can the Pink Card make it quicker and easier?

yer ID number on the pink card has the same configuration as a thai ID, ie., n nnnn nnnnn nn n...this might make it more convenient for some folks for computer data entry purposes...like I say some folks appear to be delighted when I present my pink card rather than a DL or a passport for different purposes...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yer ID number on the pink card has the same configuration as a thai ID, ie., n nnnn nnnnn nn n...this might make it more convenient for some folks for computer data entry purposes...like I say some folks appear to be delighted when I present my pink card rather than a DL or a passport for different purposes...

Come on, so you are saying it is easier to put nnnn nnnnn nn n into a computer than an English passport number, 9 digits. Or are you saying that Thais cannot..............................I will not go on

Edited by wgdanson
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Come on, so you are saying it is easier to put nnnn nnnnn nn n into a computer than an English passport number, 9 digits. Or are you saying that Thais cannot..............................I will not go on

nah...just sayin' that the data entry 'field' for an ID number might already be configured for a thai ID and any attempt to enter a falang passport number might be rejected by the software...and then the falang will emerge again as a filth encrusted bully foisting falang documentation on marginally educated thai data entry clerks on a minimum wage that are just trine to mind their own business...

where's the 'love it or leave it brigade'? get in here and sort this dude out...someone take his pint of bitter away...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Come on, so you are saying it is easier to put nnnn nnnnn nn n into a computer than an English passport number, 9 digits.

Many places can swipe the card to have the number entered automatically.

• Like 2

Hospitals now accept my pink ID card whereas before it was necessary to register with each one individually. Even the paper ID card originally issued by my local hospital is no longer valid. The change happened this year. Let me be clear on something to allay any confusion, I am entitled to hospital treatment due to my wife being a government employee. That much is not a function of the pink ID card. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjbrownderby said:

Hospitals now accept my pink ID card whereas before it was necessary to register with each one individually. Even the paper ID card originally issued by my local hospital is no longer valid. The change happened this year. Let me be clear on something to allay any confusion, I am entitled to hospital treatment due to my wife being a government employee. That much is not a function of the pink ID card. 

I doubt all hospitals would accept it, and would still need to see a passport.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 10:13 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

just went thru some land transfer stuff at the provincial court and the adjudicator there was much more comfortable with my pink card and yellow book than with my passport...

the card and the book can be useful in unexpected ways...

Got that right.

It is very useful to have and if you already have the Tabien Ban Leung (Yellow Book), it's a piece of piss to get the Pink Card for free from your local Amphur.

• Like 2