Question on buying a bikes. Please...

cowbee

Hi,

I would like to ask a question regarding buy a bikes (2nd hand) in Thailand,

Im very interested with Z900 bike that someone sell on a websites, it is not underpriced, bike is registered in Phuket, owner location near to my place (Bangkok near Onnut), bike is checked and seems in good conditions, the reason he sell the bike is because he need some money, actually there's no problem with the bike appearance, engine and price, my question is :

1. How do I manually check the legality of the bike ? What is the check list to check the authenticity ? I mean the frame number, engine number, etc that to make a proof that this bike is genuine and authentic. Can I bring this bike to DLT's office and ask them to check without doing name transfer ? Is there any services like that ?  How do we know this bike don't have problem previously in Phuket ?

2. I don't want to transfer the ownership to my name because few reason, which is i don't have residence letter from embassy and will took more than 10 days to obtain, and i still want to use the previous owner name so the bike is not listed as 2nd hands bike and few other reasons, my nationality is Indonesia, the owner nationality is England, and he only have visa validity for the next couple months, not sure what kind of visa, but it seems tourist visa

- What if the visa expired,  I'm still able to renew the tax and insurance when the owner visa is already expired ?

- What if I want to sell this bike to another person, is that a problem to have a copy of expired visa from previous owner ?

- What if the owner fly back to his country and never return, is that will be a problem ?

3. Is that legal to ride this bike to another city ? This bike is registered in Phuket, is that legal to ride Phuket bike to another city like Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Pattaya or even ride in Bangkok ?

4. Since this bike is registered in Phuket and I don't want to transfer to my name, what is the correct paper order to make sure this bike is ready for transfer to Bangkok ? In case I want to sell this bike to another person so I clearly need those paper completed

Thank you for you all concern reading this question and sorry for my bad English

Hi,

I would like to ask a question regarding buy a bikes (2nd hand) in Thailand,
Im very interested with Z900 bike that someone sell on a websites, it is not underpriced, bike is registered in Phuket, owner location near to my place (Bangkok near Onnut), bike is checked and seems in good conditions, the reason he sell the bike is because he need some money, actually there's no problem with the bike appearance, engine and price, my question is :

1. How do I manually check the legality of the bike ? What is the check list to check the authenticity ? I mean the frame number, engine number, etc that to make a proof that this bike is genuine and authentic. Can I bring this bike to DLT's office and ask them to check without doing name transfer ? Is there any services like that ?  How do we know this bike don't have problem previously in Phuket ?

2. I don't want to transfer the ownership to my name because few reason, which is i don't have residence letter from embassy and will took more than 10 days to obtain, and i still want to use the previous owner name so the bike is not listed as 2nd hands bike and few other reasons, my nationality is Indonesia, the owner nationality is England, and he only have visa validity for the next couple months, not sure what kind of visa, but it seems tourist visa
- What if the visa expired,  I'm still able to renew the tax and insurance when the owner visa is already expired ?
- What if I want to sell this bike to another person, is that a problem to have a copy of expired visa from previous owner ?
- What if the owner fly back to his country and never return, is that will be a problem ?

3. Is that legal to ride this bike to another city ? This bike is registered in Phuket, is that legal to ride Phuket bike to another city like Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Pattaya or even ride in Bangkok ?

4. Since this bike is registered in Phuket and I don't want to transfer to my name, what is the correct paper order to make sure this bike is ready for transfer to Bangkok ? In case I want to sell this bike to another person so I clearly need those paper completed

Thank you for you all concern reading this question and sorry for my bad English

Why would anyone sell you his bike and not transfer the ownership out of their name. Why should he run the risk of getting all your fines or insurance/legal problems.

Sorry but I think your expecting something that probably will never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Why would anyone sell you his bike and not transfer the ownership out of their name. Why should he run the risk of getting all your fines or insurance/legal problems.

I happens all the time especially if you sell to a dealer..they dont put it in their name and 2 minutes later put it in the new buyers name,the new buyer will get green book,sales receipt,power of attorney (and possibly copy of passport/visa and certificate of residence if original seller was not Thai )

In this case it would be better for the op to transfer names before the Englishman's visa runs out or it will be much more difficult...

Chassis and Engine number is recorded in the green book easy to check that they match...also the Englishman's name should be in the green book if not he should provide documents from the original owner.

There is no problem driving in other provinces tax and insurance can be paid anywhere...changing names (unless you live in Phuket where its registered now)
will involve changing registered province so new number plate,

i would take it to DLT or whatever the place is called

where you take driving license/pay tax & insurance and most

importantly where you register a new owner,

take the book and bike to them and ask if there is any suspect stuff.

if it pass that test, go ahead and buy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

What I read around here is most of ppl doing the same thing, they buy 2nd hand bike and still using previous owner name, I think that is pretty common in the LOS, using 1st owner name, or I might be wrong ?

37 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i would take it to DLT or whatever the place is called

where you take driving license/pay tax & insurance and most

importantly where you register a new owner,

take the book and bike to them and ask if there is any suspect stuff.

if it pass that test, go ahead and buy

What I read from other websites, my document must be complete before proceed to bike checking, for me, I don't have letter of residence, and to obtain that maybe will take time 1-2 weeks and the owner wont wait till that time, so it seems I cannot pass the document checking and cannot ask them to check the bike, am I right ?

58 minutes ago, johng said:

I happens all the time especially if you sell to a dealer..they dont put it in their name and 2 minutes later put it in the new buyers name,the new buyer will get green book,sales receipt,power of attorney (and possibly copy of passport/visa and certificate of residence if original seller was not Thai )

In this case it would be better for the op to transfer names before the Englishman's visa runs out or it will be much more difficult...

Chassis and Engine number is recorded in the green book easy to check that they match...also the Englishman's name should be in the green book if not he should provide documents from the original owner.

There is no problem driving in other provinces tax and insurance can be paid anywhere...changing names (unless you live in Phuket where its registered now)
will involve changing registered province so new number plate,

This is my concern, what really happens if the Englishman's visa runs out and he already back to his country? What would possibly happens ?

Any idea how long the changing province process ? Meanwhile, still Im able to ride the bike until the process is completed ?

This is my concern, what really happens if the Englishman's visa runs out and he already back to his country? What would possibly happens ?
Any idea how long the changing province process ? Meanwhile, still Im able to ride the bike until the process is completed ?
Worse case you wont be able to transfer to your name or anyone else's until you get in contact with the Englishman and get him to send you a copy if his exit from Thailand stamp..
Name transfer and new plate should not take long..(a few days)
You can ride the bike while waiting.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Worse case you wont be able to transfer to your name or anyone else's until you get in contact with the Englishman and get him to send you a copy if his exit from Thailand stamp..
Name transfer and new plate should not take long..(a few days)
You can ride the bike while waiting.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it

1 more question. What if the visa expired,  Am i still able to renew the tax and insurance when the owner visa is already expired or the owner fly back and never return ?

16 minutes ago, cowbee said:

What I read from other websites, my document must be complete before proceed to bike checking, for me, I don't have letter of residence, and to obtain that maybe will take time 1-2 weeks and the owner wont wait till that time, so it seems I cannot pass the document checking and cannot ask them to check the bike, am I right ?

i would bring a translator with me and insist with payment

they check if bike & book are legal, i take for granted they will perform the service

if payed, just ask how much to check legality.

i once bought a bike from a dodgy bike dealer,

he looked me straight in the eyes and stated it was 100%

legal, i kept asking several times and he never blushed,

but when the time came for me to sell it,

it turned out DLT wouldnt pass on transfer since it was a shady book

Edited by poanoi

14 minutes ago, cowbee said:

...I don't have letter of residence, and to obtain that maybe will take time 1-2 weeks and the owner wont wait till that time.....?

will your embassy provide a residency certificate?

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

will your embassy provide a residency certificate?

Yes they will, but will take time around 2 weeks, meanwhile owner wont wait for that long and i dont want to risk my money to transfer him first, we need to make it clear since the first time

5 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i would bring a translator with me and insist with payment

they check if bike & book are legal, i take for granted they will perform the service

if payed, just ask how much to check legality

I'll take ur suggestion and bring Thai's friend to speak with them regarding this, Thank you for your suggestion

No problems with Tax and insurance the expired visa only causes problems when buying/selling....you could keep the bike forever and never get the name change done and still ride it perfectly legally....though maybe strictly speaking it isnt your bike until your name is in the green book.

1 minute ago, johng said:

No problems with Tax and insurance the expired visa only causes problems when buying/selling....you could keep the bike forever and never get the name change done and still ride it perfectly legally....though maybe strictly speaking it isnt your bike until your name is in the green book.

Understood, for now Im thinking to keep the bike for me forever BUT we dont know what will happen so I need to considering other possibility.

Thank you for your explanation.

agree with above. No problem. If the owner is ok with it just give him the money and collect the bike with green book. Keep driving and just renew insurance and tax every year.  BUT, selling the bike one day might become nearly impossible. 

15 minutes ago, Nickymaster said:

agree with above. No problem. If the owner is ok with it just give him the money and collect the bike with green book. Keep driving and just renew insurance and tax every year.  BUT, selling the bike one day might become nearly impossible. 

"Selling bike one day might become nearly impposible", EXCEPT I transfer it to my own name IF I want to sell it isn't ? I mean, when I ready to sell, I will transfer to my own name first, so not right now.

When the previous owner no longer in Thai, am I still able to transfer to my own name ?

I just check, he's the 2nd owner and if I buy it then Im the 3rd owner, what is the disadvantage ? How many percent the price drop if I sell it ?

Thank you

You don't mention if you want to check the bike for technical faults. Maybe you should do that before you buy it.

Some time ago I had a bike with some issues (just getting old) and I drove it to Red Baron on Ramkamhaeng so that they could check it and give me an idea how much it would cost to fix everything. I knew maybe 10 problems. They came up with at least another 10 problems which I did not realize. Sometimes it's good to have some professionals check your bike...

4 hours ago, johng said:

Put it in your name as soon as possible..there is no price reduction per owner.

Thank you, if there's no price reduction, I will consider to transfer to my name asap.

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Insurance companies always look for a reason not to pay out and I wonder (don’t know) if this might be a reason????
Might be worth investigating that to?

Im about to find motorcycles insurance 1st class in Bangkok, do you have recommendation ?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You don't mention if you want to check the bike for technical faults. Maybe you should do that before you buy it.

Some time ago I had a bike with some issues (just getting old) and I drove it to Red Baron on Ramkamhaeng so that they could check it and give me an idea how much it would cost to fix everything. I knew maybe 10 problems. They came up with at least another 10 problems which I did not realize. Sometimes it's good to have some professionals check your bike...

I have checked the bike, overall still in good condition with mint dent that is acceptable, electricity still fully working, engine sound smooth, tire nearly new in fact its only 8.xxx km and this bike is only 1 year (2017) so I supposed there's not problem with the bike as far as I can see..

Thank you for your advise and suggestion ? 

I bought my bike 3 months back in CM.

The owner neglected to update ownership and the previous owner visa had already expired in October previous.

At DLT the supervisor was kind enough to update, after confirming my identity.

But don't expect every DLT sup to be kind enough to do that.

This story sounds like a recipe for disaster - worst case scenario - the guy in the green book comes back for his bike, other scenarios - you are left with a bike you can never sell because you didn’t put it in your name and the original owner left years ago promising that return and sort it all out for you.

i don’t understand people here who have the money to buy a bike but don’t put it in their name. 

Like there is a big shortage of z900s in Thailand. 

5 hours ago, cowbee said:

Im about to find motorcycles insurance 1st class in Bangkok, do you have recommendation ?

I just got a 1st class insurance from them:

https://www.thanachartinsurance.co.th/home_en.aspx

My dealer did it (and paid for it for the first year). Until now I have no personal experience with them.

If the deal seems too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

Insist that the owner named in the book attends at the DLT in person to sign the papers, if not - walk away.

• Like 1