PC for 14 year old

janclaes47

12 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Once again, if unsure, refer to the memory listing in my link, then you are guaranteed compatibility.

Problem is that you are ordering from China. They use slow delivery methods. eBay is not the issue.

Yes I had a look, what is very strange to me is that all the major brands in there I selected and searched in Google, say discontinued product.

Entering in Ebay delivers only pre-owned or refurbished results.

So however the MB was only released last year, as far as i can find, there is only discontinued memory compatible with it?

Looks like I gonna forget the whole thing, because it is doing my head.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes I had a look, what is very strange to me is that all the major brands in there I selected and searched in Google, say discontinued product.

Entering in Ebay delivers only pre-owned or refurbished results.

So however the MB was only released last year, as far as i can find, there is only discontinued memory compatible with it?

Looks like I gonna forget the whole thing, because it is doing my head.

It may have been released last year, but it is six year old technology.

DDR3 RAM was released in 2007. ?

That is why it is cheap.

For people who don't need the latest and greatest. 

DDR4 released 2014.

13 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

It may have been released last year, but it is six year old technology.

DDR3 RAM was released in 2007. ?

I understand that, but plenty of new ddr3 memory available anywhere, only not the one in the compatibility list.

So makes it reall y difficult to know what I can use.

None of the memory in the compatibility list, even when going to the manufacturer site, mentions if it is low or high density,

So that issue is also still not solved.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

I understand that, but plenty of new ddr3 memory available anywhere, only not the one in the compatibility list.

So makes it reall y difficult to know what I can use.

None of the memory in the compatibility list, even when going to the manufacturer site, mentions if it is low or high density,

So that issue is also still not solved.

There is no issue. Just ask the vendor before purchase.

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

There is no issue. Just ask the vendor before purchase.

If only the vendor would know, we are in Thailand you know.

Vendor says that 1600Mhz  is compatible and that I can return the MB if my RAM doesn't work.

Doesn't know anything about specific types or density.

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

If only the vendor would know, we are in Thailand you know.

Vendor says that 1600Mhz  is compatible and that I can return the MB if my RAM doesn't work.

Doesn't know anything about specific types or density.

I'm confused. I thought you were referring to eBay vendors.

So to which vendor are we referring? The MB vendor?

15 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes the MB vendor, a nation wide chain called Advice

It's not an extensive listing, so I don't think that you need to worry.

Though I did note that you were planning to buy a single 8 GB RAM module. Which means that you won't get the advantage of Dual Channel performance.

Also buy 'AMD only' RAM limits your opportunity to use it in another machine or to sell it on.

23 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

It's not an extensive listing, so I don't think that you need to worry.

Though I did note that you were planning to buy a single 8 GB RAM module. Which means that you won't get the advantage of Dual Channel performance.

Also buy 'AMD only' RAM limits your opportunity to use it in another machine or to sell it on.

The 8Gb dimm is off the table as I noticed the Lazada seller get's bad feedback.

We are still at the point that I don't know the difference between low and high density, which makes a difference according to your link, so I have not the slightest idea what memory is gonna work.

As I said this whole thing is doing my head in, and I haven't picked up the MB yet, so I'm leaning towards forgetting about the whole thing.

If the mother wants a PC, she better goes to Tukcom and hand over some dosh for a complete system.

13 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The 8Gb dimm is off the table as I noticed the Lazada seller get's bad feedback.

We are still at the point that I don't know the difference between low and high density, which makes a difference according to your link, so I have not the slightest idea what memory is gonna work.

As I said this whole thing is doing my head in, and I haven't picked up the MB yet, so I'm leaning towards forgetting about the whole thing.

If the mother wants a PC, she better goes to Tukcom and hand over some dosh for a complete system.

Forget about high/low density. It doesn't affect you when it comes to that MB.

So, let's move along. ?

I suspect that you are finding out that everything cost a bit more than you initially imagined.

Old board with the Q6600, 4 to 8 GB of RAM and SSD looking more attractive again?

4GB of RAM coupled with an SSD will still be nice with that CPU and your external graphics card.

Assuming you have a suitable casing available.

4 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Old board with the Q6600, 4 to 8 GB of RAM and SSD looking more attractive again?

The cost is still acceptable to me.

The old board as mentioned before is old, so if it goes tits up in a year, which is a real possibility with a MB of that age, the only thing I can recover is the SSD.

All the rest will be useless unless i want to buy another 775 socket board

7 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Does that answer my question if I need low or high density?

Few mention AMD only, other mention nothing at all.

The majority of listings on Ebay now quote delivery between early July and early August.

So ordering from Ebay and waiting 2 months for the memory to arrive, then discover it doesn't work, is how I should go with it?

often the ebay china seller has a shipping option(ask them) that has a tracking number. you may pay an additional 2-5 dollars but in my experience it usually arrives 7-10 days

On 6/13/2018 at 6:31 PM, KneeDeep said:

Forget about high/low density. It doesn't affect you when it comes to that MB.

So, let's move along. ?

I bit the bullet and got the board.

I also found an Ebay seller who has the Crucial memory in different types and ships fast.

The board has 1333mhz bus but supports different types.

I know I can't upgrade the processor on the board, but I can move the memory to another board.

So should I go for the native 1333mhz, or order a higher frequency with that in mind?

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I bit the bullet and got the board.

I also found an Ebay seller who has the Crucial memory in different types and ships fast.

The board has 1333mhz bus but supports different types.

I know I can't upgrade the processor on the board, but I can move the memory to another board.

So should I go for the native 1333mhz, or order a higher frequency with that in mind?

dont waste money of faster ram especially for your intended purpose and ddr3 is becoming legacy anyway

Just now, atyclb said:

dont waste money of faster ram especially for your intended purpose and ddr3 is becoming legacy anyway

The thing is that 1600 is the same price as 1333, so I only wondered if faster ram was more future proof.

I know it soon will all be ddr4, but I don;t need the best of the latest. and ddr4 is <deleted> expensive for what it is.

I sell Android boxes and I don't see a difference in performance between a 3Gb ddr4 or a 3Gb ddr3, but the price is different.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

The thing is that 1600 is the same price as 1333, so I only wondered if faster ram was more future proof.

I know it soon will all be ddr4, but I don;t need the best of the latest. and ddr4 is <deleted> expensive for what it is.

I sell Android boxes and I don't see a difference in performance between a 3Gb ddr4 or a 3Gb ddr3, but the price is different.

if the same price and it supported for sure by motherboard then ok. real life speed increase can only be measured with software and not perception.

Archived