Police have a bright idea! Check for criminals at road traffic stops

webfact

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

You only have to drive your car in the UK and very soon a camera will identify, using ANPR:

- Is the vehicle stolen.

- Has road tax been paid.

- Is the driver insured.

- Does the driver have a valid driving licence.

- Is the driver banned.

plus more.  Police will be notified in their patrol cars to intercept.

And this has been the norm for many years.

Didn't some of us come here to escape the euro police states ?

To the RTP : don't do it , it's a bad idea , just like all the camera's you placed in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Is Thailand the only country in the world that do not check for criminal records when they stop traffic offenders on the roads?   I think most European countries been doing it since the 1980's .  

Edited by balo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, losername said:

I often wonder why they do not check foreigners' passports at these traffic stops.  No need even for improved access to PNC etc, it's all in the passport, or not as the case may be.

Maybe cuz foreigners don't carry their passports everywhere they go. 

If they started doing an official ID check for criminals at these road-stops, they would then not be able to extort money from the motorists because presumably the check would then be entered onto some sort of database. And more often than not, the whole point of this exercise is to extort money from motorists. 

1 hour ago, over2you said:

Well at least it's a starter. An indicator. A connection. A starting point for further investigation.

F. F. Sake

and if you're peacefully driving down the road obeying all the rules as you normally do, in a car that belongs to your friend that's correctly taxed etc. , and your friend has an outstanding ticket in his name and the Bill round you up in their normal aggressive manner when they think they've caught a villain - it's a good start for you isn't  - F.F. sake.

• Sad 1

Reminded me crossing the border from Mexico to US with my Mexican friend who is US citizen, born and raised in US.  But has thick accent and uses slang a lot. Tell him pay attention what you say. Border patrol

Ask me questions OK and you sir. Sounds like ola esa, asked if US Citizen. Yes. Where you coming from. Points over their and points going over there. Pulled us in for car search etc.. no problems 

5 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

In 1970 I was doing this in the UK, now 48 years later they have a GOOD IDEA...………………………...The question is, why did it take so long ??????????????

They are only 'thinking' that it is good idea - it hasn't been put into practice!

What a brilliant idea,,,,,Pity the West has this under control for about 25 years,,,, The cop cars  have computers and speed detectors in them and detectors for speed detectors ( I know i lost some detectors this way) ,,,they just drive behind you and pop you're rego in the com,,, something fishy comes up like warrant,no license,not paid rego ,not paid fines,or been done before for drugs and or drink driving,,,, they Will stop you and you may go to jail,,,   Now That's Real Policing ,,,,,

1 hour ago, chama said:

Maybe they can tap in to that satellite the military is buying....if it can track the submarine and run police inquiries at the same time.  

Think they maybe will be going for a,   stock older model

not sure if it will have those features. :smile:

Sputnik_670.jpg

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

From about page 4 to page 10 over several posts.

Summary: A law which says you have to carry your passport all the time with you just doesn't exist

Fair enough.  I have not read pages 4-10 but it seems that you feel this is evidence that there is no need to carry a passport.  I personally have stood by the roadside in Mukdahan with two policemen, immigration and local, who have left me in no doubt that a passport has to be carried always.  For the record, I do know that RTP do not have a great knowledge of the law.  Thanks for the reference.

4 hours ago, over2you said:

The UK police forces were doing it in the 60's. All be it using a radio to HQ. Then someone making a telephone call to Records Dept. Locally and/or Scotland Yard. Very successful. So I'm told. Hardly Rocket science. 

This is thailand where everything is mai pen rai! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

From about page 4 to page 10 over several posts.

Summary: A law which says you have to carry your passport all the time with you just doesn't exist

I have just read pages 4-10.  That was without doubt the most boring read I have ever had on TVF but I'll have to deal with it.  One thing is certain and that is that sam neuts does not understand your request for a quote of the law.  I'm with you on this one, quote the law, it should be the only reliable source.  In the absence of quotable law, I am prepared to admit that there is no legal obligation to carry my passport at all times.  Thanks for your guidance.

"Every" country has a patrol car at the road  block, check point with a computer that can check anything on line, facial recognition, passport or ID number. In fact in most countries every patrol car is equipped with these basic NCIS computers. Have been for years, they even work when the vehicle is moving, but they do keep a record of what is requested and usually want answers to why quires were made and the disposition of the request.

20 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Surely the police can access the main police computers  even from their phones, it's not rocket science. But that would reduce the time they can collect money from traffic violations  

This was the point at which you went wrong.

• Haha 1