Finance Minister Blames Thaskin For Thailand's Current Financial Problems

When will they admit that most of the current problems have been bought about by this administration .

Please expand and clarify your statement.

Thanks

I believe Churchill was refering to this piece in Bangkok Post :

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=116451

Deputy prime minister and finance minister Pridiyathorn Devakula hit back at ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra Wednesday, saying his so-called "Thaksinomics" has caused Thailand huge debts.

"Thaksinomics, if let it run for another three years, would cause the country a crisis," M.R. Pridiyathorn said at a seminar entitled "Investment direction 2007 and how to handle the volatile baht."

"Although economics under Thaksinomics grow, they expand with no limit," he said, adding that the previous government had debt accumulated up to 1.5 trillion baht.

M.R. Pridiyathorn said Thailand could be like Argentina if Thaksinomics were to be continued much longer.

He also stated that the principles of the sufficiency economy, initiated by His Majesty the King, would not lead the country to recession. He claimed it was an immunity system, protecting the economy from expanding too much, too soon.

I like especially his sentence : "He [Thaksin] talks to foreigners, causing them to misunderstand us," he said. "This guy...he isn't a true patriot."

Eventually... this is the ultimate argument used by the old and unimaginative thai politicians : "you're not a patriot". :o

And you'll notice, that if the foreigners "misunderstand" it's because of Thaksin, not because of the gvt's policies...

Pridiyathorn is a winner.

As for his divagations about the "GDP growth and income distribution", well we are waiting.

A fiscal reform and a better income distribution in Thailand ? Yeah. We can wait. A long time.

And from "growth" to "democracy", well I guess it's the same principle : okay, but... not too much !

I like especially his sentence : "He [Thaksin] talks to foreigners, causing them to misunderstand us," he said. "This guy...he isn't a true patriot."

Eventually... this is the ultimate argument used by the old and unimaginative thai politicians : "you're not a patriot". :o

In otherwords they have no real sound policies except "blame thaksin" when things go wrong. I think it's rather transparent when they engage in this type of old fashioned muckracking. It's the same anywhere in the world you can only use the "you're with us or against us" line so many times before people start questioning whether you have anything or not.

It's not hard to villify Thaksin, the fact is they haven't done so in a legal or competent matter just like everything else they've tampered with. They just claim to have a lot of "cases" waiting to be prosecuted against ole' square head. Also, based on what we've seen so far I have pretty low confidence that he'd be prosecuted fairly. I have a feeling this regime may find it easier to send a hit squad to his house than to give him legal recourse.

Of course,

he is frustrated. I mean, you've obstensibly come in to right many many wrongs. You've been one of the few burecrats over the life of the Thaksin era, to keep your central bank independent and relatively free of influence of Dear Leader. You think you may have a shot at actually fixing one or two things.

Then you find that the civil service isn't willing to dob anyone in, cause it will mean that they themselves get implicated. Evidence of sheer corruption, such as the airport, is nearly impossible to find, as the paper work has vanished.

Bag them all you want, it just aint as easy as people make out, and the real morons who came up with the dodgy policies over the past five years, will be back in power by years end in one form or another. Then you'll have real cause to complain then.