1 week holiday out of thailand. Where should I go?

bbabythai

I have been granted a 1 week pass by the wife. I want to fly out of thailand somewhere in SE Asia. I want some quiet time... maybe  beaches or walking in forest. 

I need a break out of thailand. Please help suggest somewhere interesting

thanks

Not too far Siem Reap, Cambodia?

Take your wife here: http://privilegefloor.com/ a very nice spot to sleep after a day out.

Visit amazing Ankor Wat and some really nice (quiet) spots like Tonle Sap lake. Siem Reap the town is laid back.

If you want to avoid crowds, just don't go to the Bakheng Temple at sunset but it's still great.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

Seconded.

Not overrun by tourists , good food,nice empty beaches, jungle trails ,historic colonial buildings.

Cheap , close and friendly.

Penang. Hot. Boring. Expensive. Smelly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Penang is safe, has nice architecture and some interesting food. But very tame compared to Thailand. I would say boring.

OP said he wanted somewhere quiet. Horizontal nightlife was not mentioned.

Well, the OP want a decent holiday, and is presumably au fait with the goings on in Thailand. I would suggest Cebu in the Philippines, if you don't like it there I would be very surprised. Great beaches, friendly locals, cheap prices and stunning ladies.

Singapore is great, but expensive and sterile.

Malaysia has limited nightlife (and limited daylife too).

Laos is way too slow and boring.

Cambodia is up and coming and cheap. A bit dirty and third-worldy too.

If you want female company, Cebu. If you just want to have a few beers on the beach, Sihanoukville. If you like gambling, then Macau.

Take your pick.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Well, the OP want a decent holiday, and is presumably au fait with the goings on in Thailand. I would suggest Cebu in the Philippines, if you don't like it there I would be very surprised. Great beaches, friendly locals, cheap prices and stunning ladies.

Singapore is great, but expensive and sterile.

Malaysia has limited nightlife (and limited daylife too).

Laos is way too slow and boring.

Cambodia is up and coming and cheap. A bit dirty and third-worldy too.

If you want female company, Cebu. If you just want to have a few beers on the beach, Sihanoukville. If you like gambling, then Macau.

Take your pick.

Cebu is nice but the OP said he is married and wanted some quiet time out.

Can the OP come back to clarify what you want and don't want.

Are you looking for noisy nightlife and lots of sex ? People seem to think you are but forgot to mention it.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Hanoi in North Vietnam. Very relaxing city , amazing food everywhere. Even if its a busy city you'll find parks and lakes in central Hanoi. Lots of interesting museums from the war and the Chinese empire if thats your thing. Try the egg coffee , only found in Hanoi.

And the surrounding areas both coastal and inland. Tam Hoc , Halong Bay etc and treks in  Sapa.

Edited by The manic
  • Like 2

I second Hoi An, Vietnam. Can fly direct from Bangkok to Da Nang International Airport, and from Da Nang, Hoi An is 30 minutes down the coast, by local bus or taxi. There are lots of beaches close by, and Hoi An is a very old, picturesque and quiet town - as long as you stay a little bit outside of the old city. Recent development ; the really loud beer barns, (now favoured by young and recently cashed up Viets) have taken over the old city, and complaints are many, from guests in nearby hotels, about being unable to sleep. The covered Japanese (yes, Japanese) bridge in the old city is truly exquisite, and was built in 1590.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 9.00.26 PM.png

• Like 2