1 week holiday out of thailand. Where should I go?

bbabythai

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Well...did you go up the railway to Penang hill ? Great views plus there used to be a canopy walk up there through the tree top jungle.

Hire a small Honda and ride around the island to Batu Ferringhi and beyond. A very pleasant ride.

Visit the museum in Georgetown and and easy walk to Fort Cornwallis.

Stroll around the beautiful Botanic Gardens

Take the elevator to the top of Penang tower for a coffee with a view.

For a small island there is a lot to do if you make a little effort.

I remember visiting over 30 years ago. Me and the 3rd Eng hired a pushbike rickshaw for the day. He took us all over, temples, massive sleeping Buddha, botanical gardens, great restaurant, one of my best runs ashore ever.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Very exciting if you jump from the top of the tower and do a few sumersaults on the way down. Can't understand why people go to Pattaya to do this.

There you go OP, Penang it is. Let us all know how you get on. Have a good trip.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Denim said:

Well...did you go up the railway to Penang hill ? Great views plus there used to be a canopy walk up there through the tree top jungle.

Hire a small Honda and ride around the island to Batu Ferringhi and beyond. A very pleasant ride.

Visit the museum in Georgetown and and easy walk to Fort Cornwallis.

Stroll around the beautiful Botanic Gardens

Take the elevator to the top of Penang tower for a coffee with a view.

For a small island there is a lot to do if you make a little effort.

That sounds like my idea of torture, all in searing heat too.

Have you ever kissed a girl before?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

That sounds like my idea of torture, all in searing heat too.

Have you ever kissed a girl before?

Oh yes....and a whole lot more. I recommend it. In fact you should try it sometime . Should be easy as falling off a log in Pattaya .

On 6/15/2018 at 2:17 AM, Jip99 said:

I disagree about Hoi An - mine, and other posters’, experiences are far more positive.

Like the look of your recommendation though.

I was just talking about the Ancient Town area, not the whole of Hoi An itself, although I would say Hoi An in general is quite touristy, lots of backpackers, yoga classes, some vegetarian/ vegan restaurant, it kind of was like Chiang Mai I guess, which is nice if your looking to just relax and chill, eat healthy, not do too much.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 2:14 PM, Bonobojt said:

I was just talking about the Ancient Town area, not the whole of Hoi An itself, although I would say Hoi An in general is quite touristy, lots of backpackers, yoga classes, some vegetarian/ vegan restaurant, it kind of was like Chiang Mai I guess, which is nice if your looking to just relax and chill, eat healthy, not do too much.  

CM is awful these days. Gays, backpacker, top knotters pollution,trafick jams and no night life.

26 minutes ago, The manic said:

CM is awful these days. Gays, backpacker, top knotters pollution,trafick jams and no night life.

haven't been there in a while, last time was maybe 3 years ago, I just remember it being a place with vegans, vegetarians, yoga and meditation people, cyclists, temples, detox retreats etc.. nightlife was quite boring, but when you've experienced Bangkok and Pattaya nightlife like me, of course Chiang Mai nightlife will be boring. 

never felt like I was in a city full of gays though, maybe things have changed though, but yes I remember traffic sucked and lots of backpackers and pollution.