Trump says expects 'signing' after 'very good' talks with Kim

webfact

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

The U.S also stated that the joint US/SK military exercises can be resumed at short notice , so the USA are not giving up something concrete , they have just been suspended and that suspension can be revoked at anytime at short notice .

North Korea have made a peace pledge .

If that peace pledge is adhered too , then there will no need for anymore joint USA/SK military exercises , because the sole purpose for the exercises was to prepare for war with NK .

NK have committed to no more rocket testing , if they do test more rockets , US/SK military exercises will resume .

North Korea : No more rocket testing 

USA : No more military exercises

Those are all fair and reasonable points. However, I'd add, suspending rocket launches is not the same as suspending nuclear weapons development, much less dismantling what they already have.

The fact that the summit talks were, apparently, entirely devoid of any talk about verification and U.S. or international inspections for NK compliance is more than a bit concerning

• Like 1

I am not a Trump supporter at all, but I am going to give him a thumbs up on this.   

I think Kim was in a little bit of a box.   He has managed to get nuclear weapons and NK is now a nuclear power that has to be reckoned with, but he has done so at a huge, huge cost to his country and his people.   I doubt we will ever the extent of things, but I think Kim had to start making some changes.   A country as poor as NK really can't pursue the military option to the extent that NK has.

Trump of course exacerbated the situation with his rhetoric, but for now, I am going to chose to hope that moved the process forward.

Hopefully, the situation will improve for all concerned and NK will be on a road to somewhere other than complete isolation and desperation.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Those are all fair and reasonable points. However, I'd add, suspending rocket launches is not the same as suspending nuclear weapons development, much less dismantling what they already have.

The fact that the summit talks were, apparently, entirely devoid of any talk about verification and U.S. or international inspections for NK compliance is more than a bit concerning

NK had already agreed to stop developing and testing  nukes last April .

Todays talks were just basic talks , further talks and agreements about inspections and sanction lifting will happen in the near future .

NK agreed to denuclearizeation ,   which should mean dismantling their nukes , although agreements need to be reached in future meetings

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles/north-korea-says-will-stop-nuclear-tests-scrap-test-site-idUSKBN1HR37J

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's likely going to come down to one of two things, say five years down the road -- either NK will have dismantled its nuclear weapons program, that will have been verified by the international community, and Trump will be hailed as a hero OR, NK will still have nuclear weapons threatening the U.S., and the world will realize that Trump got played, and played badly.

Considering NK's track record, which is the more likely scenario five years from now?

Hard to say, it's a new generation at the head of the regime.

Anyhow, when's the next US/SK military exercise due?  10-11 months from now?  I think if NK doesn't come across with some concrete concessions in that time then all bets would be off the table.  NK not really the problem IMO. It's China. They may embolden NK more than NK might otherwise do. Time will tell.

Just now, lannarebirth said:

Hard to say, it's a new generation at the head of the regime.

Anyhow, when's the next US/SK military exercise due?  10-11 months from now?

I believe I read in the Washington Post that the next joint exercise is currently scheduled for August, and the Post quoted a U.S. military spokeswoman in the pertinent command as saying they had not received (not surprisingly as yet) any orders to the contrary.

At the U.S. military command in South Korea, officials also reacted with uncertainty. Col. Jennifer Lovett, a spokeswoman, said the command “has received no updated guidance on execution or cessation of training exercises.”'

Those exercises include the Ulchi-Freedom Guardian drills scheduled for August.

“We will continue with our current military posture” until further notice, she said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

.  NK not really the problem IMO. It's China. They may embolden NK more than NK might otherwise do. Time will tell.

I think that the opposite is more likely .

China dont want NK causing problems in the area and they sure dont want to back NK up, if they get themselves into a war .

China are said to be furious at the nuclear explosions on their border

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe I read in the Washington Post that the next joint exercise is currently scheduled for August, and the Post quoted a U.S. military spokeswoman in the pertinent command as saying they had not received (not surprisingly as yet) any orders to the contrary.

Doesn't seem too provocative:

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1282786/exercise-ulchi-freedom-guardian-2017/

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I think that the opposite is more likely .

China dont want NK causing problems in the area and they sure dont want to back NK up, if they get themselves into a war .

China are said to be furious at the nuclear explosions on their border

Right, but China's got more trade trouble, South China Sea trouble, Taiwan trouble, etc., coming its way.  They may use NK as their pawn when things get a bit more tense for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

Right, but China's got more trade trouble, South China Sea trouble, Taiwan trouble, etc., coming its way.  They may use NK as their pawn when things get a bit more tense for them.

Im not sure what you mean by "pawn"

How would conflict between the USA and NK help China with any of their issues ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Im not sure what you mean by "pawn"

How would conflict between the USA and NK help China with any of their issues ?

It doesn't help China directly but indirectly by being an impediment for the US and it's declared peace initiative. China can absolutely blow this up at anytime. NK is a great asset to them. They provide a buffer on their border and they are almost their sole importer of goods to NK. China certainly doesn't want a prosperous NK trading with westerners.

Having lived in Thailand for years, I have had my fair share of translation bumps in the road. Most of the time, I can stumble through the conversation, but at times a native translator is needed. Usually, it is my wife. She often sees things differently than I do.

Trump and Kim also used a translator. In this case, a female from the US State Department was the go between the big boys. If she translated like my wife does sometimes, there could be a bump in the road.

My teenage daughter was educated at an international school in Bangkok and her English is better than her Thai. I would have thought that Kim’s use of English would have been fairly good, as he was also educated in a Western environment. 

My translator’s biggest complaint? She thinks she knows what I think I know.There will be some bumps in the road..

GEO_9293.JPG

• Like 1

Explaining why the way that "trump" outrageously trashed the Iran deal when Iran was COMPLYING with it is indeed totally RELEVANT to the NK situation. 

NEW YORK TIMESWhat Happened in the Trump-Kim Meeting and Why It Matters

(9) Mr. Trump’s foreign policy actions elsewhere may limit what he can accomplish with North Korea. By tearing up the Iran nuclear deal despite sustained indication of Iranian compliance, and by reneging on agreements even with long-term allies, the United States has deepened suspicion that it cannot be trusted to make arms-control agreements. So don’t expect talks to produce much of verifiable substance.

http://www.paywallnews.com/news/What-Happened-in-the-Trump-Kim-Meeting-and-Why-It-Matters.BJ-rkOq6xX.html

Edited by Jingthing

12 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

You did not pay attention.

The rest of the world minus your 'We' knows exactly what is in it.

So...what is it then?

And please...don't spare me the smallest, dirtiest secrets that you know!

13 hours ago, DM07 said:
13 hours ago, sanemax said:

They both came to an agreement , which is a success .

Had they not come to any agreement, that would have been a failure 

An agreement about what?

That they both wanted cheeseburgers for lunch?

We know NOTHING about this agreement and what is in it!

''you can message the us state department and tell them as you are an advanced platinum thai visa member they should share any/all agreement details regardless of current classification.

it is not very difficult to think things out a bit considering it took at least 3 meetings between reagan and gorbachez prior to the soviet metamorphosis. 

the agreement made public is like a memorandum of understanding and intent, an extremely common concept in the world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Enough hot air, to fill an armada of balloons!

If that is, what you wet your knickers about, you really get very easily excited!

you can star in and play lead role in the movie sequels  "grumpy old men 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 ...

grumpy-old-men.jpg

Edited by atyclb
  • Sad 1

"They have beautiful beaches! You can see it, when they explode their cannons into the ocean" (By the way: this is how a 10 year old describes the tests of nuclear "missiles") 

"You have to see it from a real estate point of view!"

That is what Trump said, among other really horrible and super- stupid things!

Great leader, great work!

:coffee1:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DM07 said:

"They have beautiful beaches! You can see it, when they explode their cannons into the ocean" (By the way: this is how a 10 year old describes the tests of nuclear "missiles") 

anyone from nyc knows and recognizes trump style. it is related to the local culture, attitude, accent and should not be interpreted as adolescent or unintelligent.

there are many many successful people in nyc that talk and have the same style, that yes can be perceived as abrasive

obama is an intelligent person and an eloquent speaker but what were his achievements as president?

i am a us lifelong registered democrat and great admirer of jfk

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, atyclb said:

anyone from nyc knows and recognizes trump style. it is related to the local culture, attitude, accent and should not be interpreted as adolescent or unintelligent.

there are many many successful people in nyc that talk and have the same style, that yes can be perceived as abrasive

obama is an intelligent person and an eloquent speaker but what were his achievements as president?

i am a us lifelong registered democrat and great admirer of jfk

Ooooh...I see!

It's New York- culture to talk like an idiotic toddler!

Good to know!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

That is generally how people speak normally , informally.

Down play things , with a bit of humour thrown in .

• Like 1

Have we been conned again?

Most probably, yes.

Consider the source. "trump" -- the greatest con man the world has ever known. 

Time to man up and see the emperor has no clothes.

Consider this -- 

The Kim Con

Trump isn’t trying to win over North Korea’s leader. He’s using him to win over you.

This is the key to understanding the Trump-Kim relationship: Trump isn’t competing with Kim, or even trying to win him over. He’s using Kim to compete for status with previous American presidents.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/trumps-deal-with-kim-jong-un-is-a-con-job-and-youre-the-mark.html

• Like 1

"The most significant result may be Trump’s new confidence that he uniquely understands the North Korean leader, this will further reinforce the defining dynamic of Trump’s presidency so far: Ignore the experts, trust your gut. From now on, analyses from the diplomatic and intelligence communities that fit Trump’s view of Kim will be favored, those at odds with his view may be dismissed. It could be extremely consequential in this case."

https://theconversation.com/summit-with-kim-is-boosting-trumps-confidence-that-might-not-be-a-good-thing-97984

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

Trump seems to have low expectations of this ‘deal’ he’s made and a Plan B already to hand.

He explained this like only Trump could:

“I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump seems to have low expectations of this ‘deal’ he’s made and a Plan B already to hand.

He explained this like only Trump could:

“I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”

Six months from now is AFTER the midterms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

With a mix of being overbearing and thugish and little regard for anything that happens outside of NYC. That's about it.

you taukin to me ?         recall de niro famous line in .  taxi

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1