British Prime Minister Makes Pledge In Unsolved Thailand Murder

sriracha john

_914685_kirsty150.jpg

Kirsty Jones was murdered in the Thai city of Chiang Mai

BBC

PM pledge on murdered backpacker

The British Government will do everything possible to bring the investigation into the murder in northern Thailand of backpacker Kirsty Jones to a proper conclusion, Tony Blair pledged today.

He was responding to a plea from Liberal Democrat Roger Williams to ensure “fresh impetus” for the case.

Kirsty, 23, of Brecon, Mid Wales, was strangled while staying at a guesthouse in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand, on August 10, 2000.

No-one has yet been brought to justice, despite extensive publicity surrounding the case in Thailand and the UK.

At question time, Mr Williams, (Brecon and Radnorshire), said: “Her murderer is still at large.

“The Royal Thai Police at one time closed the file but because of the persistence of the Dyfed-Powys Police and particularly her parents, the Thai government has now referred it to the special investigations branch.” He added: “But a number of us are still concerned about the lack of progress and the failure to follow up certain lines of inquiry.

“Will you meet with me and Kirsty’s parents to ensure that the case gets fresh impetus in Thailand, that justice is delivered for the parents, and that Thailand is a safer place for young people to visit?”

Mr Blair replied: “We have been closely involved with the authorities in Bangkok in trying to make progress on this case.

“I know that Foreign Office officials continue to meet the family – I think weekly – and we will try to do everything we can to bring this to a proper conclusion.” He continued: “I am happy to try and arrange some form of meeting. I’ll have to come back to you as to whether that meeting should be appropriate with myself.”

- icWales

While I enjoy living here,(just for the retards that say that if you don't like the place then go home :o ) things like the Kirsty case really piss me off.If it were not for the English government poking their nose in,this would be another case swept under the carpet.

While I enjoy living here,(just for the retards that say that if you don't like the place then go home :D ) things like the Kirsty case really piss me off.If it were not for the English government poking their nose in,this would be another case swept under the carpet.

I'm sure nought will come of it, like most cases in thailand. :o

Wednesday, 31 January 2007, 17:03 GMT

Kirsty Jones

Kirsty Jones was three months into a round-the-world trip

Tony Blair may meet the family of murdered backpacker Kirsty Jones as attempts are made to breathe new life into the inquiry to catch her killer.

Miss Jones, 23, from near Brecon, Powys, was raped and strangled at a guesthouse in Thailand in 2000.

Since then several arrests have been made but none have led to a conviction.

During Prime Minister's questions, Mr Blair said the Government would do everything possible to bring the investigation "to a proper conclusion".

'Fresh impetus'

He was responding to a question from Brecon and Radnorshire MP Roger Williams on Wednesday.

Mr Blair said he was "happy" to try and arrange a meeting, but added that it might be appropriate for one of his colleagues to meet the family instead.

Tony Blair at prime minister's questions on Wednesday

We have been closely involved with the authorities in Bangkok in trying to make progress on this case

Prime Minister Tony Blair

Miss Jones, a Liverpool University graduate, was found dead in a room at the £1-a-night Aree guest house in Chiang Mai, more than 400 miles north of the Thai capital, Bangkok.

The Royal Thai Police launched a third inquiry into her death in 2005, but in the past they have been criticised for their handling of the case.

In the House of Commons, Mr Williams said the Thai police had closed the case, but after pressure from Dyfed-Powys Police and Miss Jones' parents the Thai government had referred it to the special investigations branch.

Pressure

"But a number of us are still concerned about the lack of progress and the failure to follow up certain lines of inquiry," added the MP.

"Will you meet with me and Kirsty's parents to ensure that the case gets fresh impetus in Thailand, that justice is delivered for the parents, and that Thailand is a safer place for young people to visit?"

Mr Blair replied: "We have been closely involved with the authorities in Bangkok in trying to make progress on this case.

"I know that Foreign Office officials continue to meet the family - I think weekly - and we will try to do everything we can to bring this to a proper conclusion."

Miss Jones' mother Sue said afterwards that she was pleased pressure was being kept on the investigation.

BBC.co.uk

A murder six and a half years ago? Sorry to say, but for a miracle, the trail will have gone cold. Even in the UK if they can't get some positive clues or info at the time it is highly unlikely they'll do so years afterwards. I hope I'm wrong and they catch the murderer but I don't see any conviction looming.

The Thai police probably tried to say it was her own fault anyway with that old chestnut:

"If she hadn't been here in Thailand sleeping quietly in a bed in CM then she probably wouldn't have been murdered sort of thing"

I witnessed a ** very ** minor ding between the front wheel of a motorbike and a Mercedes this morning and the man on the back of the motorbike who hadn't even been touched rolled off the bike and was clutching his leg screaming 5000 baht before either of the drivers knew what was going on.

If the bike and the Mercedes hadn't been there in thailand at that moment in time then... It's the mentality I tell ya!

Edited by Casanundra

A murder six and a half years ago? Sorry to say, but for a miracle, the trail will have gone cold. Even in the UK if they can't get some positive clues or info at the time it is highly unlikely they'll do so years afterwards. I hope I'm wrong and they catch the murderer but I don't see any conviction looming.

If I remember rightly, I think they got clues and info - but it may lead somewhere the Thai police don't want to go?

If I remember rightly, I think they got clues and info - but it may lead somewhere the Thai police don't want to go?

How right you are!! The can of worms was so large, that taking the lid of it would have had enormous repercussions. Even the locals knew more about the case than the police did, or at least were prepared to admit.

post-9005-1170293266_thumb.jpg

"We have been closely involved with the authorities in Bangkok in trying to make progress on this case." Prime Minister Tony Blair

Tony Blair may meet the family of murdered backpacker Kirsty Jones as attempts are made to breathe new life into the inquiry to catch her killer.

Miss Jones, 23, from near Brecon, Powys, was raped and strangled at a guesthouse in Thailand in 2000.

Since then several arrests have been made but none have led to a conviction.

During Prime Minister's questions, Mr Blair said the Government would do everything possible to bring the investigation "to a proper conclusion".

'Fresh impetus'

He was responding to a question from Brecon and Radnorshire MP Roger Williams on Wednesday.

Mr Blair said he was "happy" to try and arrange a meeting, but added that it might be appropriate for one of his colleagues to meet the family instead.

We have been closely involved with the authorities in Bangkok in trying to make progress on this case

Miss Jones, a Liverpool University graduate, was found dead in a room at the £1-a-night Aree Guest House in Chiang Mai, more than 400 miles north of the Thai capital, Bangkok.

The Royal Thai Police launched a third inquiry into her death in 2005, but in the past they have been criticised for their handling of the case.

In the House of Commons, Mr Williams said the Thai police had closed the case, but after pressure from Dyfed-Powys Police and Miss Jones' parents the Thai government had referred it to the special investigations branch.

Pressure

"But a number of us are still concerned about the lack of progress and the failure to follow up certain lines of inquiry," added the MP.

"Will you meet with me and Kirsty's parents to ensure that the case gets fresh impetus in Thailand, that justice is delivered for the parents, and that Thailand is a safer place for young people to visit?"

Mr Blair replied: "We have been closely involved with the authorities in Bangkok in trying to make progress on this case.

"I know that Foreign Office officials continue to meet the family - I think weekly - and we will try to do everything we can to bring this to a proper conclusion."

Miss Jones' mother Sue said afterwards that she was pleased pressure was being kept on the investigation.

- BBC

I guess that tourist police sergeant will be moved again. He must get really annoyed at how inconsiderate the British authorities are. Won't he ever have a 'normal' life again robbing and raping with impunity?

Yep heard he was back in town.

I guess that tourist police sergeant will be moved again. He must get really annoyed at how inconsiderate the British authorities are. Won't he ever have a 'normal' life again robbing and raping with impunity?

He's even had a promotion too :o

He's even had a promotion too :o

Fiendishly clever of the Thai authorities!

When requested to produce Sergeant #####, they will say "Who? look he no work policeman"

Edited by Loaded

If you ask me, the British Police should either directly get in involved again with a hands on aproach, or they should just let be. Either fly over to Thailand with an investigative team, or leave it all alone. I say this as we all know that re-opening the case from a Thai police point of view simply means 'open to suggestions'... the MIB will not activley re-investigate the case, they are just officialy proclaiming it open.

In the same way we sleepily read the back of a cerial box whilst eating our morning corn flakes in a zombie like state, the MIB will spend 5 minutes each day gathered around a formica table, staring blankly at the dead ferang file whilst munching through som tam.

I doubt the rumours of the MIB having an idea who did it, but covering up. The MIB are simply too honest, moral, determined, ethical and resiliant to corpution.

While I enjoy living here,(just for the retards that say that if you don't like the place then go home :D ) t

:o

If somebody of the lowly rank of seargeant could exert such influence, think what a captain would be capable of doing... or a general...

Such people must surely be aware of what they are able to get away with, and operate accordingly.

Very nasty. It doesn't bear thinking about.

While I enjoy living here,(just for the retards that say that if you don't like the place then go home :o ) things like the Kirsty case really piss me off.If it were not for the English government poking their nose in,this would be another case swept under the carpet.

Chucky Babe..Whilst I agree with you and pity they didnt look at a lot more cases, like the Horton Girl in Samui too..

I gatta ask Mate, why Tony B Liar took so long to do it ????

Edited by Little Black Duck