Switching from Non O Marriage Extension to 1 year Non O Marriage ME visa

I've searched the forums for an answer to this but cant find anything.

A few questions but the one I cant find an answer for is this:

I have a 1 year Non O extension based on marriage that expires 27th July 2018 with a re-entry permit valid to the same date.

I don't have the funds or income to extend again so planning a trip to Suvannakhet Laos around the 1st week of July and will apply for a 1 year Non O based on marriage multi entry visa.

My question is can I have both the valid extension and the new visa in my passport at the same time? How will the consulate in Suvannakhet handle the still valid extension? If they just add the new visa into my passport how will the Thai immigration at the border deal with this. Does the extension need to be cancelled by me or will Thai immigration do this? Or will they enter me on my extension and not activate the visa or enter me on the new visa and just let the extension expire?

I'm actually flying out of Thailand on 12th July and will return after the extension has expired so want to get the visa before leaving Thailand

This has been covered before in other posts so apologies for repeating but is this correct and any changes in the last few weeks?

My understanding is that the document requirements for a 1 year Non O marriage ME visa are (copies counter signed by wife):

• Visa application form (plus photo)
  • Visa fee 5,000Bht
  • Marriage certificate (copy and original)
  • KR2 updated by local Khet within the last month or so (copy and original)
  • Wife's ID card (copy and original)
  • Wife's Tabian Baan (copy and original)
  • My passport (copy and original)
  • Copy of Laos visa in my passport

Do I also need a copy of my wife's passport and a letter of invitation from her?

As I understand I do not need to show funds, accommodation, onward flight or bring my wife, correct?

I'm contemplating flying to Suvannakhet rather than doing the bus thing, any experience from members arriving at swampy immigration coming in from Suvannakhet with a visa from the consulate there?

Any help or clarification would be most useful, thanks

8 hours ago, andyrobbo said:

I'm actually flying out of Thailand on 12th July and will return after the extension has expired so want to get the visa before leaving Thailand

I assume your flying back home for a short break.

If so, wouldn't it be easier to just apply for the Non Imm O ME Visa there.

If you put the new visa, multi 0, number on the TM6, and make sure the IO is aware of it he will stamp you in for your first 90 days of the multi and he will ignore the extension

Without a re-entry permit the extension is cancelled automatically.

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume your flying back home for a short break.

If so, wouldn't it be easier to just apply for the Non Imm O ME Visa there.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion, already looked into that, unfortunately I don't have funds, that explains the trip to Suvannakhet

1 minute ago, andyrobbo said:

Yes, thanks for the suggestion, already looked into that, unfortunately I don't have funds, that explains the trip to Suvannakhet

What's your nationality?

If your from the UK no proof of funds required.

16 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

What's your nationality?

If your from the UK no proof of funds required.

From the UK embassy site for an Non-O marriage,

• For accompanying a Thai spouse : A copy of marriage certificate, a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse, and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 annually.)

To me that looks like proof of funds needed?

Edited by sometimewoodworker

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

For accompanying a Thai spouse : A copy of marriage certificate, a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse, and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 annually.)

That is an error that has been on the site for a long time. If you do a little math you will find the amount shown is the amount needed for OA visa or extension of stay based upon retirement. It is a little low now since the exchange rate has changed since it was put on the website.

Plenty of reports that they do not ask for financial proof.

If you are leaving Thailand on the 12th July, your visa extension ends when you leave Thailand (unless you get an exit/re-entry permit). So either get the multi 'O' outside Thailand, or come back on the 30 day visa exemption and go to Savannakhet during those 30 days (remember that you need a flight out of Thailand when you are entering as a tourist, so book the Laos flight before re-entering Thailand).

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I got a Non-O multi by post from London last trip back, April, no proof of funds, quick & easy.

• Like 1

I did my latest Savannakhet Non-O Multi based on marriage on 7-8th June, 2018 without any problems.

The Consulate required the following documents:

1. Completed Visa application form

2. Two 4 x 3 cm photo's

3. Passport

4. Copy of above (signed)

5. Copy of wife's ID (signed by her)

6. Copy of wife's Blue house book/Tabien Baan (signed by her)

7. Copy of Marriage Certificate (double sided and signed by myself only)

8. Sight of Original of above (returned immediately)

9. Copy of Kor Ror 2/marriage registration (double sided and signed by myself only)

10. 5,000 Baht fee

My wife did not accompany me and they did not require her ID or House book originals (she would need to keep her ID in her possession in any case); nor any letter of invitation, PP,  proof of funds, accommodation, onward flight or Laos visa copy. Only what I have posted above 1 - 10.

The Kor Ror 2 copy was from the original when we were married - never been updated.

Hope this clarifies.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is an error that has been on the site for a long time. If you do a little math you will find the amount shown is the amount needed for OA visa or extension of stay based upon retirement. It is a little low now since the exchange rate has changed since it was put on the website.

Plenty of reports that they do not ask for financial proof.

Thanks for all the advice, and I do believe I could do this in the UK, however my travel plans don't allow me to get to the Thai embassy in London to submit an application and collect the next day, too many things to do where I need my passport and other complications that I won't go into here. I've decided to go to Suvannakhet beginning of July and get the 1 year ME Non Imm O. I'm flying there and back so hoping I can enter the new visa number on the arrival card to activate it when I return via swampy (even though my extension with re entry permit will still be valid for another  23 days). Which really goes back to my original question and how immigration will handle my entry.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:03 AM, SimonD said:

I did my latest Savannakhet Non-O Multi based on marriage on 7-8th June, 2018 without any problems.

The Consulate required the following documents:

1. Completed Visa application form

2. Two 4 x 3 cm photo's

3. Passport

4. Copy of above (signed)

5. Copy of wife's ID (signed by her)

6. Copy of wife's Blue house book/Tabien Baan (signed by her)

7. Copy of Marriage Certificate (double sided and signed by myself only)

8. Sight of Original of above (returned immediately)

9. Copy of Kor Ror 2/marriage registration (double sided and signed by myself only)

10. 5,000 Baht fee

My wife did not accompany me and they did not require her ID or House book originals (she would need to keep her ID in her possession in any case); nor any letter of invitation, PP,  proof of funds, accommodation, onward flight or Laos visa copy. Only what I have posted above 1 - 10.

The Kor Ror 2 copy was from the original when we were married - never been updated.

Hope this clarifies.

Simon

Thanks for the really recent update ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, andyrobbo said:

Thanks for all the advice, and I do believe I could do this in the UK, however my travel plans don't allow me to get to the Thai embassy in London to submit an application and collect the next day, too many things to do where I need my passport and other complications that I won't go into here. I've decided to go to Suvannakhet beginning of July and get the 1 year ME Non Imm O. I'm flying there and back so hoping I can enter the new visa number on the arrival card to activate it when I return via swampy (even though my extension with re entry permit will still be valid for another  23 days). Which really goes back to my original question and how immigration will handle my entry.

They will ignore your extension because if you don't have a re-entry permit it has died a death.

Just make sure that the IO has stamped 90 days before you leave the desk. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyrobbo said:

if you can do without your passport for a week in the UK it only takes a week by post. also just to note if easier it can also be done in hcmc without funds. if in bkk it can be done with just one night out of the country

This has been a very helpful post.  Thanks guys.

What is causing me some confusion now is, if the process for the Non-O Multi is this simple, why does anyone get a single entry and then do the extensions in Thailand?  What would be the benefit of that?

My understanding is the ME is good for a year and the SE is 90 days.  The ME requires no proof of funds, the SE does.  It seems the only difference is a higher fee.  What am I missing here?

Thanks again

6 minutes ago, action said:

What is causing me some confusion now is, if the process for the Non-O Multi is this simple, why does anyone get a single entry and then do the extensions in Thailand?  What would be the benefit of that?

My understanding is the ME is good for a year and the SE is 90 days.  The ME requires no proof of funds, the SE does.  It seems the only difference is a higher fee.  What am I missing here?

Thanks again

Some embassies/consulates require proof of funds.

eg Penang wants to see 400,000 baht in the bank.

Some don't. Last time I went to Seoul it was not required.

Edited by overherebc

43 minutes ago, action said:

What am I missing here?

Having to leave the country every 90 days for a new 90 day entry when you have a multiple entry non-o visa verses being able to stay in the country as long as you want to with an extension of stay.

Thanks Very Much!  

In a nut shell, show funds vs. leave every 90 days.  
So a guy like myself who has no need to leave Thailand and can show required funds, sounds like single entry is the way to go.  

34 minutes ago, action said:

Thanks Very Much!  

In a nut shell, show funds vs. leave every 90 days.  
So a guy like myself who has no need to leave Thailand and can show required funds, sounds like single entry is the way to go.  

Single entry gives you plenty of time to have the money seasoned for applying for your extension of stay.

You can also do a 60 extension to the 90 at your local Imm' office for 1900 baht so almost 5 months.

Your local office will tell you what's required in paperwork for the 60 but believe me it's not much. Your wife has to be with you.

2 hours ago, action said:

Thanks again

The ME requires you to leave the country every 90 days whereas the extension doesn't

you don't need to show the funds for the SE either in most places. you show the funds for the extension

Edited by Happy enough

• 2 weeks later...

Update from my OP, just back from Suvannakhet (today 4th July) having successfully obtained a 1 year Non O ME visa based on marriage, a simple enough process as covered elsewhere (nothing has changed).

However on arriving at Immigration in Suvarnabhumi the IO was a little confused as I still have my Non O extension and re-entry permit valid till 28th July. I was duly called over to the duty senior IO and she explained that they couldn't stamp me in on my new visa because I still had a valid extension and re-entry permit. I explained that I was flying to Europe on 11th July and returning to Thailand on 27th July and thus the reason for getting the Non O visa now. She said because I will enter Thailand before 28thJuly I will still be stamped in on the extension not the new vsia. After much laughing and giggles she suggested I go to Chaeng Wattana before I fly out on the 11th July and cancel the extension so that I can enter on the 27th July and activate the 1 year ME visa. My previous research on this suggested that only a Non B needs to be cancelled, anyway the Immigration Officers were polite and I felt they genuinely wanted to help me - I was stamped in on my existing extension and the new Non O ME Visa is still in my passport unused (not activated).

Next steps (any any advice on this would be appreciated) I will go the Chaeng Wattana tomorrow and apply for a 7 day extension which will see me through till I fly out on 11th July. I guess on the TM7 where it asks for a reason I state it is to cancel the extension. My wife will accompany me to Chaeng Wattana

The may of been correct but a bit on the pedant side IMO.

There is no 7 day extension. The 7 days is to leave the country after a extension is denied and those 7 days would start at the end of your current extension.

Do you have a single or multiple re-entry permit?

When you return on the 27th they would let you use the visa instead of stamping you in for only one day. Apparently the officers refused today since you had several days left on your extension.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The may of been correct but a bit on the pedant side IMO.

There is no 7 day extension. The 7 days is to leave the country after a extension is denied and those 7 days would start at the end of your current extension.

Do you have a single or multiple re-entry permit?

When you return on the 27th they would let you use the visa instead of stamping you in for only one day. Apparently the officers refused today since you had several days left on your extension.

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe (always superb knowledge), I have a multiple re-entry permit in line with the extension, the IO today 'suggested' I get the extension and re-entry permit cancelled (her exact words were 'void') before I leave Thailand on the 11th (I presume if I did that at Chaeng Wattana tomorrow then I would have no permission to stay and that was my idea about applying for a 7 day extension) so that when I return on 27th I have a clean slate and can use the Non O visa. Is it worth going to Chaeng Wattana and asking or as you suggest - assume they will be ok with activating the new visa on 27th - I didn't want to have to arrive in Bangkok only to find I have to leave and enter again a day later.

2 minutes ago, andyrobbo said:

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe (always superb knowledge), I have a multiple re-entry permit in line with the extension, the IO today 'suggested' I get the extension and re-entry permit cancelled (her exact words were 'void') before I leave Thailand on the 11th (I presume if I did that at Chaeng Wattana tomorrow then I would have no permission to stay and that was my idea about applying for a 7 day extension) so that when I return on 27th I have a clean slate and can use the Non O visa. Is it worth going to Chaeng Wattana and asking or as you suggest - assume they will be ok with activating the new visa on 27th - I didn't want to have to arrive in Bangkok only to find I have to leave and enter again a day later.

Immigration will not normally cancel an extension unless there is a valid reason to do it. If the case of an extension based upon marriage the only valid reason they would do it for would be if you got divorced. One for working would be losing the job that supported it.

I cannot see them doing it just because you want it done so that you can use your non-o visa.

I cannot see any immigration officer giving you a entry for one day if you did not want it.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will not normally cancel an extension unless there is a valid reason to do it. If the case of an extension based upon marriage the only valid reason they would do it for would be if you got divorced. One for working would be losing the job that supported it.

I cannot see them doing it just because you want it done so that you can use your non-o visa.

I cannot see any immigration officer giving you a entry for one day if you did not want it.

Thanks ubonjoe, that makes sense and was my understanding too about cancelling an extension (O and B). I was recently told by a contact I have (working as an IO at Suvarnabhumi) that the IO should stamp you in on whatever visa number you put in your arrival card, today I entered the new visa number on the TM6, I think they just didn't like that I still had 24 days left on my extension.

• 4 weeks later...

Update from my OP, arrived at Suvarnabhumi on Friday 27th and entered the new 1 year Non O visa (obtained in Suvannakhet on 2nd July) number on the TM6, went through the family immigration desk with my Thai wife, they stamped me in on the new visa with 90 days even though I had 2 days left on the old extension. It was super busy so that probably helped, not sure the IO even noticed the old extension.