Friend from Myanmar Kicked Out of Her Room for Expired ID

My friend from Myanmar has a Pink Non Thai ID and a Thai motorbike drivers license. She has stayed at a particular apartment block on and off for nearly 4 years. The other day she received a note under her door telling her that her ID had expired and she has 2 days to get out. My friend contacted the owner and told her she had a current Thai motorbike license  and was told no good. She then said she would get her Pink ID renewed but was then told she needed a passport. The owner told her she phoned the police to ask them if she could stay and, supposedly, the police told owner she would be fined if they found my friend staying there. My friend was talking to another lady and was told the police have been there checking people in the apartment block while she had been away.

I guess this is part of the police crackdown on accomodation or is it an immigration police thing?

She now has to find other accomodation which maybe difficult with out ID.

Before suggesting she should get her passport, she has tried for some time but does not know what to do and is not very smart in these matters. She told me she had gone to an agent and had paid deposit on getting passport. In a later discussion it turns out it would not have been a passport but something that allowed her anywhere in Thailand as her current Pink ID was restricted to Chiang Mai. I helped her go back to her mountain village a few year back to get her ID but nothing happened.

I guess a bit more research is required. If anyone has had any experience in helping a Myanmar person to get their passport and help would be appreciated.

Just now, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

How is she in Thailand if she doesn’t have a passport?

Part of the old system apparently. When she went back a few years ago she crossed over and back at an army crossing.

Apparently MANY Myanmar people here without passport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Part of the old system apparently. When she went back a few years ago she crossed over and back at an army crossing.

But aren’t they also the ones being picked up by immigration for being here illegally? I’m not judging, btw. Just curious if she’s here legally or not.

6 minutes ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

But aren’t they also the ones being picked up by immigration for being here illegally? I’m not judging, btw. Just curious if she’s here legally or not.

I really don't know. She was involved with the police before and nothing was done about her.

19 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Before suggesting she should get her passport, she has tried for some time but does not know what to do and is not very smart in these matters.

Does she have proof she is a citizen of Myanmar.

I can recall articles in the news about moves to get their identity verified so they can get passports. 

Perhaps she should ask at the Myanmar consulate in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Does she have proof she is a citizen of Myanmar.

I can recall articles in the news about moves to get their identity verified so they can get passports. 

Perhaps she should ask at the Myanmar consulate in Chiang Mai.

She has no proof. We have been to the consulate and they are not much help.

Big problem is she understands very little and if people talk to her in Thai and then I ask she can't explain anything to me. This has been going on a few years and very frustrating for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

She has no proof. We have been to the consulate and they are not much help.

Big problem is she understands very little and if people talk to her in Thai and then I ask she can't explain anything to me. This has been going on a few years and very frustrating for me.

Apparently she is considered a stateless person and that is why she has the pink ID card. I would think that it would not be that hard for her to get it renewed.

many many Burmese are going back to Myanmar to get a passport to replace the pink id cards which are no longer issued and being phased out,

tell him/her to contact an agent,

PM sent for agent I use here in Phuket, she might be able to assist or know someone in CM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently she is considered a stateless person and that is why she has the pink ID card. I would think that it would not be that hard for her to get it renewed.

I don't think hard either but owner of apartments says not good enough, needs passport.

Maybe my friend did something wrong and has owner offside.

3 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

many many Burmese are going back to Myanmar to get a passport to replace the pink id cards which are no longer issued and being phased out,

tell him/her to contact an agent,

PM sent for agent I use here in Phuket, she might be able to assist or know someone in CM

Thanks, did not know pink IDs being phased out.

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

How about the Myanmar embassy on Sathorn Rd.?

We are in Chiang Mai, only consulate here and they were not that helpful.

Thanks anyway. 

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

sent ya a pm with a an agent ,as u couldn't even bother to reply,

good luck

Actually if you look at post #13 I did say thanks. I did it publicly not in PM. I do appreciate any help offered and always try to acknowledge in some way or another.

As well as that I have been very busy helping the lady move from all her stuff from her room.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Haha 1

Dazinoz, your friend should use fb or line to ask friends to get a good agent. Most of my friends from Myanmar with a passport used agents. Consulates and embassie are no big help as most immigrants here are no "ethnic Bema", they are more likley Tai Yei, Shan, Karen and other ethnics. If she doesn't have any proof of origin, the only legal way to get it would be a trip home first.

32 minutes ago, swissbie said:

Dazinoz, your friend should use fb or line to ask friends to get a good agent. Most of my friends from Myanmar with a passport used agents. Consulates and embassie are no big help as most immigrants here are no "ethnic Bema", they are more likley Tai Yei, Shan, Karen and other ethnics. If she doesn't have any proof of origin, the only legal way to get it would be a trip home first.

I agree, but she is very difficult to convince. I said to her yesterday that I will take her to an agent. her reply was my friend went a few days ago and they busy say come back 2 months. I said there are many agents but she knows better. I tell her very serious now and if caught she could be arrested and deported.

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

The little experience that I have, the employer kept things in order... if she has an employer, they are usually responsible - if not, one might ask how she lives?

I guess I am her employer.

On 6/15/2018 at 12:58 PM, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

Many, many have refuge status along the border to the Shan state. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Daz - - You sound like a good guy concerned for this person, but I think it is time you see a lawyer, for both of your benefits. Sometimes life incurs expenses. You want to be sure you are doing the right thing. 

4 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Then you’ve missed the window to get her paperwork sorted until next year. 

The government opened up to allow Myanmar workers to have their papers sorted by the end of April from recollection. This would have included nationality verification (if they hadn’t already done it), acquisition of a passport at the border and then a 2 year Non immigrant LA visa. Work permit and pink ID card with work rights would have followed. 

Not sure what an agent can achieve now. 

12 minutes ago, samran said:

Then you’ve missed the window to get her paperwork sorted until next year. 

The government opened up to allow Myanmar workers to have their papers sorted by the end of April from recollection. This would have included nationality verification (if they hadn’t already done it), acquisition of a passport at the border and then a 2 year Non immigrant LA visa. Work permit and pink ID card with work rights would have followed. 

Not sure what an agent can achieve now. 

I have been at her for a long time to chase things up but too lazy. I can't do things if I don't know.

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I have been at her for a long time to chase things up but too lazy. I can't do things if I don't know.

Long and the short of it is this: the employer (can be an individual, Thai or foreign), needs to get the ball rolling. Without that, the rest just can’t happen. 

Youll know for next year. 

31 minutes ago, samran said:

Long and the short of it is this: the employer (can be an individual, Thai or foreign), needs to get the ball rolling. Without that, the rest just can’t happen. 

Youll know for next year. 

I made the comment about being her employer tongue in cheek. She is my girlfriend and I have supported her and that is why she has not worked. Like I said it is important to her to have her correct paperwork and if I don't know I can't do.

12 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I made the comment about being her employer tongue in cheek. She is my girlfriend and I have supported her and that is why she has not worked. Like I said it is important to her to have her correct paperwork and if I don't know I can't do.

Most people  post have assumed that she came here to work.

I commented about her being being a stateless person as the reason for her having the ID card in post #10. But got no replies about it.

Was she born here or came here with her parents when she was a child.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, Dazinoz said:

That's quite so but hey that was long ago, your friend needs to update and quickly.