BTS to replace single-trip magnetic cards with smart Thin Cards

rooster59

Is that how much a rabbit card is? 

I used to use the rabbit card when i worked in thailand and it was a screaming deal. I know you guys know, bts trips are like 12 baht. 

I actually feel like the bts is unreasonably expensive now. Maybe i am nuts. It just is a lot easier to get a taxi at the same cost more or less, for two people, and i live right on a bts station too!
Actually it is true. The cost of BTS is relatively high. The only advantage against a taxi it beats the traffic jam.

2 minutes ago, CLW said:
12 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:
Is that how much a rabbit card is? 

I used to use the rabbit card when i worked in thailand and it was a screaming deal. I know you guys know, bts trips are like 12 baht. 

I actually feel like the bts is unreasonably expensive now. Maybe i am nuts. It just is a lot easier to get a taxi at the same cost more or less, for two people, and i live right on a bts station too!

Actually it is true. The cost of BTS is relatively high. The only advantage against a taxi it beats the traffic jam.

Right. Either way i try to leave my house post rush hour at like 1030. But yeah taxis with two people are comparable and more convenient. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nit Noi said:

I still have no idea what kind of card I'm supposed to have to use the lane indicated by the sign.

IMG_20180909_144223.jpg

I am assured by those-that-knows that this means you can only use the new tickets (and Rabbit) at this gate.

The sign also appears to be in front of one of the CCTV cameras.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for users of Samrong station (E15).

As of 6AM today the fare gates at the eastern end of the station are now operating, so no need to walk up and down if you need to enter or exit at that end.

These gates are of the new type which will be used on the rest of the extension. 

Also the existing gates and ticket machines at the western end will be replaced by the new style and the equipment that was "borrowed" from other stations will be returned.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update.

As of today 16/Nov/18 magnetic cards are no more, so there should be zero confusion at the gates ????

If you still have pre-issued mag-stripe cards (they have a hole near one corner) you can get them exchanged at the ticket office.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Been in Bangkok two days.

After yesterdays experience it is really absurd to read what problems they deal with adding to the existing chaos.

Yesterday, 8 PM at Asok:

(and from what others say this is routine, took me 4 trains passing to get there)

20180615_200912.jpg

Yes, but at 8pm the trains come every 1 ½ minutes so the four trains you waited for took about the same time to arrive as one train outside of peak periods!  When one train is in the station at Asoke the lights of the next train can be seen approaching from Nana.

Edited by Just Weird

On 16 November 2018 at 8:41 PM, Just Weird said:

Yes, but at 8pm the trains come every 1 ½ minutes so the four trains you waited for took about the same time to arrive as one train outside of peak periods!  When one train is in the station at Asoke the lights of the next train can be seen approaching from Nana.

This is completely incorrect. The most frequent headway the BTS operates is 2.20-2.40min during the middle of the morning and afternoon peak period on the Suk line.

In fact there are only a few metros in the world that operate a 90sec headway, Hong Kong and Shanghai being the most obvious and thats because they have the high frequency signalling to support such a headway. (Note: no one in the world operate less than a 90sec headway). 

At 8pm you are looking at around a 3.5min to 4min headway, adjusting to 6min headway between 8-10pm.

People often mistake headway by viewing at an oncoming train after one has departed, but this is misleading and neglects the dwell time for unloading & loading. You need to time it from the exact same point and the exact same action, i.e., the train stopping or the train departing from the exact same point. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

This is completely incorrect. The most frequent headway the BTS operates is 2.20-2.40min during the middle of the morning and afternoon peak period on the Suk line.

In fact there are only a few metros in the world that operate a 90sec headway, Hong Kong and Shanghai being the most obvious and thats because they have the high frequency signalling to support such a headway. (Note: no one in the world operate less than a 90sec headway). 

At 8pm you are looking at around a 3.5min to 4min headway, adjusting to 6min headway between 8-10pm.

People often mistake headway by viewing at an oncoming train after one has departed, but this is misleading and neglects the dwell time for unloading & loading. You need to time it from the exact same point and the exact same action, i.e., the train stopping or the train departing from the exact same point. 

"You need to time it from the exact same point and the exact same action, i.e., the train stopping or the train departing from the exact same point". 

I have done, several times.  My comment is not completely incorrect.

16 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"You need to time it from the exact same point and the exact same action, i.e., the train stopping or the train departing from the exact same point". 

I have done, several times.  My comment is not completely incorrect.

Even though I know LakeGeneve really knows his stuff, I have definitely been on trains that somehow get close to the train in fromt of them to the point where nobody is even boarding. I am sure that is just "error" though. I doubt he is off on his lead times, at least where they attempt to keep them. The trains that get that close do purposefully stall, but just making the point that very short lead times are possible, not by design it would seem. 

Edited by direction BANGKOK

I gotta admit, half laughing at myself, I used the bts recently and the lines were long so i got a ticket from the machine that accepts bills, which i had never done before. 

First, I could have sworn it cost me an extra five baht, but later i decided this was probably me leaving the five baht in there in my haste. 

Second, with this new style card i had no clue where to go. Ha. I tried to jam it in every which way and was finally helped like a little baby theough the proper gate. I was actually very surprised just how confusing the current dual setup is. 

Edited by direction BANGKOK
  • Like 1