Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Over-manning over here

bluesofa

Overmanning here is endemic, just look around Homepro, Tesco, Big C etc, I walk around doing shopping and can see them hiding down the aisles either chatting to mates or playing Candy Crush on their phones, try asking one of them where they hide a certain product and receive a blank stare in return.   ?

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

Overmanning here is endemic,just look around Homepro, Tesco, Big C etc, Iwalk around doingshopping and can see them hiding down the aisles either chatting to mates or Candy Crush on their phones, try asking one of them where they hide a certain product and receive a blank stare in return.   ?

Tesco were pretty good when I was looking for some stewing steak.

As I didn't know it in Thai, the assistant gave me her smartphone on the google translate page, I typed it in. She looked at the translation, smiled and told me they had none...oh well.

• Like 2

Currently a neighbour is getting a small roof attached to his house. No fundament, just metal bars attached to existing walls and a metal roof on it.

I would estimate a western company would do this with 2-3 people in 2-3 days. The Thai company is here with about 8 people, today was day 5 and they are far from finishing it soon.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, allane said:

How many workers does it take to do a job in your home country ? Multiply your answer by a factor of 3 or 4x, then you will know how many Thai workers are needed to do the same job.

Salaries ? Take the salary for a given job in your home country, divide it by 3 or 4, and you will have the salary for that job in Thailand. Most of them earn B7000 - B 15,000/mo., and I wouldn't pay them 1 satang more than that.

Nobody earns less than 9000 in Thailand.

And yes, they do not deserve more, because even paid 4x more, they would not work or be 1% smarter.

• Sad 1

Don't knock it - it can be a source of constant entertainment  . . .

Sitting on a beach on Samui I watched a gang of construction workers join two pieces of wood together.

The boss told the man with the marker where to mark the hole.

The man with the drill drilled the hole.

The man with the bolt put the bolt into the hole.

The man with the hammer hammered the bolt through the hole.

The man with the nut threaded the nut onto the bolt.

The man with the spanner tightened the nut.

Job done !  (And it keeps seven guys in employment).

• Like 1

I would take 1 western waitress over 5 thai ones anytime.  A thai waitress struggles to handle 2 tables between gazing at phone. Western one earn their pay (and tips).    And they dont need 2 staff and a calculator to add up two 30 baht meals and 2 10 baht water

• Like 1

Back in our western world, we used to have apprentices, who were there to observe when masters did their job, to learn all the essential skills from them, in practise. 

2 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I might be wrong, but I thought it was Government policy for all businesses to employ "x" amount of staff depending on the size of the business/company.

I remember reading that somewhere too.

As to the " how many guys", well you know the joke " how many xxxxmen to replace a lightbulb" and so it goes.... As to the internet problem, believe me it's no different in Europe, can be many calls, many charged visits ( if the problem is diagnosed to your kit or your indoor cabling) until eventually someone has a lightbulb ( sorry!) moment! One such moment led to replacing 1 km of cable after months of problems, sorted!!! Guy said it was just so old and weathered and he was spot on. Nobody looked until he came.

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Home Pro probably takes the cake!

It's like 10 employees per sub-section, doing basically nothing all day long!

Anyway, it used to be a bit like that in the West...just watch old movies from the 50s and see the numbers of guys attending a car at a gas station.

Those were the days when the CEOs didn't think that only them deserved to be paid, and that the wealth generated by business could be shared...

I have to say that Home Pro is the one for me. Far too many staff that don't have a clue about the products they sell. Every time I go there I dread the employees trying to help me. If I need help I will ask. Chances are the employee won't have the knowledge to help anyway. Case in point I went to Home Pro (Lampang) looking for a pressure washer. They only had one Karcher on display. It didn't have all of the attachments I wanted so I started looking at a Black & Decker that did. The guy trying to help kept going on about some Italian made washer that was on offer and of course my TGF bought into the whole thing telling me that this model was the only one that could be repaired with spare parts if it broke down (what about the warranty on the other brands?) The guy then proceeded to plug in the Black & Decker and the Italian washer without having a water supply connected and no one could understand my concern that running a pressure washer with no water supply may just be a little bit detrimental to the machine ?. After I dismissed the guy and my TGF we left and paid for the items we had bought, I noticed a whole bunch of Karcher pressure washers on display after the payment counters. They had at least 4 different other models to the one on display inside the shop!!! I looked at all of the models and chose the one I wanted. It seemed as if their guy had no clue that Home Pro were currently running a promotion on Karcher pressure washers or maybe there was a better commission on the Italian brand he kept pushing.

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'd still like to know why the cable TV company needs three technicians. AIS sent two to install fibre internet - better than three though.

When our internetline was broken by the gardeners who cut tree's we also got a team of 3 "engineers" to fix it. None could speak english and they had to deal with me.

We had a team of 3 for the connection inside the house and a team of 3 for outdoors. The guys outdoors had to replace the internetcable totally for more than a km. 

The inside team sat on my sofa all day to wait for the new cable to be installed so they could finish it.

Of course non of them went to the gardeners or the property developer to tell what happened.

Those guys are the ONLY ones i let into and work on my house. If possible i 'll do it myself and even by the proper tools for that.

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The post is about cable TV. As I said in my post I did a very similar job. So no, it doesn't fit my "preconceptions and prejudices".

See below from post #4:

"I worked for various telecoms companies in the UK, and everything was geared up to working alone. On two separate occasions here I've seen TOT send one guy to install a phone line. 

I'd still like to know why the cable TV company needs three technicians. AIS sent two to install fibre internet - better than three though."

But the headline of the post refers to "over here"  suggesting a national problem, as opposed to your particular

experience with your cable supplier.

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

But the headline of the post refers to "over here"  suggesting a national problem, as opposed to your particular

i think it was an attempt at alliteration...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You see what fits your preconceptions and prejudices.

Western nanny states have long buckled to ridiculous, uneconomic demands of labor unions. As shown in the photos, experience in leaning on a shovel or placing hands on hips while pretending to care are important qualifications for employment in Farang Land.

2017085842_labor2.jpg.05b6632e72c31837618a248dddbd4872.jpg

Most of the people in the photo are paleontologists listening to one of their fellows talking about the Triceratops that was unearthed on a Denver construction site.

You certainly saw what "fits your preconceptions and prejudices".

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/31/construction-crew-that-found-thorntons-triceratops-fossils-considered-heroes/

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

I had 8 people show up to redirect 1 internet cable, 5 of them did nothing.

The government tells businesses how many employees they will have.

It's good for the working people.

I like it because it gives people money who would otherwise be very poor.

This is Thailand. Things are done different here.

I LOVE Thailand.

Edited by themerg

4 hours ago, shy coconut said:

That's a fair comment, no problem with you saying that.

That was my own play on words, by putting two "over"s in the headline.

As you say it was my experience with a cable company, which I compared to my own job doing the same thing previously.

2 hours ago, themerg said:

I had 8 people show up to redirect 1 internet cable, 5 of them did nothing.

The government tells businesses how many employees they will have.

It's good for the working people.

I like it because it gives people money who would otherwise be very poor.

This is Thailand. Things are done different here.

I LOVE Thailand.

I genuinely wasn't aware of the government dictating how many employees you must have? I see a couple of earlier posters have said the same.

Does anyone have any specific info on this, or a reference/link about it?

11 hours ago, MW72 said:

I have to say that Home Pro is the one for me. Far too many staff that don't have a clue about the products they sell. 

At the opposite end of Home Pro is Macy's.

Being one among the many victims of Amazon, Macy's, like many others, is closing stores and laying off its staff.

And what happens to its buildings?

Well, they become shelters for its former employees, now part of the growing homeless population!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/business/macys-homeless-shelter.html

Edited by Brunolem

The last Macys I went to in the SF bay area was completely shoddy & lacking any pretense....

The carpets were dirty, stained, and ripped - and in some cases missing segments.....

The staff basically ignored you....It was easily the worst looking retail store in the mall.....

Possibly it was one that was schedule for closure but it was a high foot traffic mall.....

Just the appearance made me feel like walking out, and I did & we shopped elsewhere....