Obtaining a WP on a Non O dependent visa

Hello Friends!

I came to Thailand in 2015 on a Non Immigrant O visa as a dependent and the visa was issued to me in my home country. Since then I have got 3 yearly extensions. Currently, I stay at home.

I would like to know if on my O visa a work permit could be obtained without me leaving Thailand. I have read it on several other forums that if you have a Non O Dependent visa then you can get a WP right here in Thailand and you do not have to leave the country. How does it work?

The job offer to me is from Southern Thailand but I live in Bangkok and file 90 days report in BKK.

Thanks to all of you in advance!

Edited by oconfusion

43 minutes ago, oconfusion said:

I would like to know if on my O visa a work permit could be obtained without me leaving Thailand.

Yes. Permission to stay based on being the parent of a Thai allows you to work once you've a valid work permit. You don't need to do anything with immigration, you/your employer need to apply for a work permit from the local labour office.

46 minutes ago, oconfusion said:

The job offer to me is from Southern Thailand but I live in Bangkok and file 90 days report in BKK.

You need to change your address if living in the South and then you can report there, or keep reporting in Bangkok. If you (can) report online you cant report from any location. You can also report by post to Bangkok.

56 minutes ago, oconfusion said:

I came to Thailand in 2015 on a Non Immigrant O visa as a dependent...

Whose dependant are you?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

I thought that was common knowledge. The OP are most probably refering to a visa issued out of the reason of having a Thai child.

I have the same question since they wrote this in the OP.

5 hours ago, oconfusion said:

I came to Thailand in 2015 on a Non Immigrant O visa as a dependent 

That does not appear to mean they are the parent of a Thai.

They could be on an extension of stay as a family member of person on an extension of stay (aka dependent extension).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have the same question since they wrote this in the OP.

They could be on an extension of stay as a family member of person on an extension of stay (aka dependent extension).

Ok, missed that one. You are right.

Edited by Get Real

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
13 hours ago, oconfusion said:

I came to Thailand in 2015 on a Non Immigrant O visa as a dependent 

It could be, but based on the query in the OP I doubt it.

I have read it on several other forums that if you have a Non O Dependent visa then you can get a WP right here in Thailand ...

My moneys on the OP being the parent of a Thai.

7 minutes ago, puchooay said:
17 minutes ago, elviajero said:

My moneys on the OP being the parent of a Thai.

as a dependent

This would suggest otherwise.

There is no such thing as "dependent visa/extension". Dependency doesn't come in to it. When people wrongly refer to their visa/permit as "dependent" they usually mean as the family member of another foreigner with a permit to stay, or as the parent of a Thai.

The OP is asking about advice given elsewhere saying they can work with a their "Non O Dependent visa"; that would only be possible as the parent of a Thai, and not possible for a family member of another foreigner. I doubt there would be "several other forums" saying otherwise.

Sorry folks if my post sounds confusing. Lemme clarify please.

I and my wife are foreigners in Thailand. We are not Thais.

She has a Non B visa on which she works and I have a Non O visa which was given to me on the basis of my spouse's visa.

I just want to know if I can get a work permit on the strength of my visa without leaving BKK. I know one Filipino guy who has an O visa just like me and got a work permit 2 years back. He did not leave Thailand.

Right now, I have a loads of time on my long term visa plus I do have a reentry permit stamped as well just in case of an emergency.

Thanks to all who responded!

27 minutes ago, oconfusion said:

I just want to know if I can get a work permit on the strength of my visa without leaving BKK.

No. You would need to go out of the country for a Non 'B' visa supported by your employer.

6 hours ago, oconfusion said:

I just want to know if I can get a work permit on the strength of my visa without leaving BKK. I know one Filipino guy who has an O visa just like me and got a work permit 2 years back. He did not leave Thailand.

It all depends upon where the work permit is applied for. Many offices  will not accept a application when you have an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon your spouses extension.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It all depends upon where the work permit is applied for. Many offices  will not accept a application when you have an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon your spouses extension.

Genuine question. Is that because it's a 'grey' area in the rules or a case of individual office decision?

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Genuine question. Is that because it's a 'grey' area in the rules or a case of individual office decision?

Both actually. 

There is no written rule as far as I know preventing it. It is a matter of interpretation of the rules by the local office.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all!

So far I have learnt that if you have an O visa and you are married to a Thai, then you may have a chance to get a WP. If you are a foreigner on an O visa and your wife isn't a Thai, then you will have almost zero chance to get a WP. Some guys have reported that they got their WP on O visas but I am not sure if they are married to Thai nationals.

I have asked the school folks to confirm with the immigration/Labor office regarding the stay and the WP. They told me that I need to go to my home country in order to get a Non B visa. If anyone has been in my position, kindly reply.

I will post an update here.

Thanks to all!

So far I have learnt that if you have an O visa and you are married to a Thai, then you may have a chance to get a WP. If you are a foreigner on an O visa and your wife isn't a Thai, then you will have almost zero chance to get a WP. Some guys have reported that they got their WP on O visas but I am not sure if they are married to Thai nationals.

I have asked the school folks to confirm with the immigration/Labor office regarding the stay and the WP. They told me that I need to go to my home country in order to get a Non B visa. If anyone has been in my position, kindly reply.

I will post an update here.

99% of employers will tell you you must have a B visa because they don't know the facts so just make them up, Imm' also tell you you must have a B when in fact work permits have nothing to do with them.

The only way you actually find out is by contacting your local labour office and showing them what is in your passport. They will say yes or no. If they say yes then tell your employer that, ignore your employers 'Imm' says B visa.

FYI a WP costs 3800 baht.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

99% of employers will tell you you must have a B visa because they don't know the facts so just make them up, Imm' also tell you you must have a B when in fact work permits have nothing to do with them.

The only way you actually find out is by contacting your local labour office and showing them what is in your passport. They will say yes or no. If they say yes then tell your employer that, ignore your employers 'Imm' says B visa.

FYI a WP costs 3800 baht.

3100 baht. Or at least they were in May this year. 

The OP wrote this.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

married to a Thai but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask your local labour office yourself.

The OP's line above doesn't say that. I read it that his wife may not be Thai.

38 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Still don't see any reason why the OP can't go and ask the labour department.

Tell me what he has to lose by doing so.

I have never said that he should not. Just giving some ideas, as he requested in the OP.

This is a forum after all.

11 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I have never said that he should not. Just giving some ideas, as he requested in the OP.

This is a forum after all.

I prefer to be direct. 

eg   'They' don't know neither do 'they' know so ask 'them' because 'them' has the real answer.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Still don't see any reason why the OP can't go and ask the labour department.

Tell me what he has to lose by doing so.

I have asked the HR to approach the labour department specifically, and not to go anywhere near the immigration! ?

Once they update me, I will post the info here.