Why I had to leave the UK for Thailand

rooster59

3 hours ago, connda said:

Dancing on the heads of the less fortunate is baked into this culture.

Seems to be baked into the heads of Farangs as well.

Look at all the teacher/cheap charlie bashing on TVF.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My brother at the age of 18 could see his life mapped out in the UK . He decided on Aus he paid his £100, done his bit in vietnam, now and for many years has been very well off and has never looked back not bad for a tyre fitter from a provincial back wood. His comment has always been. I shudder to think what life I would have had .They had me pigeon holed for life. 1960s Engand class class class and no way you climbed up

21 minutes ago, Aupee said:

My brother at the age of 18 could see his life mapped out in the UK . He decided on Aus he paid his £100, done his bit in vietnam, now and for many years has been very well off and has never looked back not bad for a tyre fitter from a provincial back wood. His comment has always been. I shudder to think what life I would have had .They had me pigeon holed for life. 1960s Engand class class class and no way you climbed up

The smart ones left in the 1800s.

1 hour ago, transam said:

In what way...?

By most general happiness measures; miserable weather 99% of the time, faltering economy, weak, ineffective government, poor health care service, oppressive laws, political correctness, high living costs in the capital city, yob culture, high crime rate, traffic cameras everywhere, stagnant housing market, homelessness, religious extremism and division, new Top Gear ..... I could go on.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

By most general happiness measures; miserable weather 99% of the time, faltering economy, weak, ineffective government, poor health care service, oppressive laws, political correctness, high living costs in the capital city, yob culture, high crime rate, traffic cameras everywhere, stagnant housing market, homelessness, religious extremism and division, new Top Gear ..... I could go on.

Just say what you really think

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I understand the sentiment, Thailand can be a great place to stay in your later years if you have sufficient funds to live a comfortable life and can cover any and all possible medical needs. If you don't have the funds to live here then best stay at home, I can't think of a worst place to be poor and elderly. 

And if you want to live here until the end of your days learn the language, it will make your life here much easier.

Sound advice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sprigger said:

6 months about is the best option if you can afford to maintain a home both ends, I love the U.K. in spring and summer, and hibernate to Thailand to leave the British winter behind.Never burn your bridges with your Homeland as you get older no one will insure you and one serious illness or accident can financially wipe you out.

That’s a good option for those that can do that ... never burn bridges.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

If anyone has done the daily commute into London at 630am in winter then you will know it can be very hard work. For me it was one such morning that proved the tipping point, I needed to get out of the UK and change my life.

I changed my life rather than use the train I cycle to work ?

It's a great feeling to do something of benefit for yourself before you even start work, also saves money on the often unused corporate gym membership ?

For me the only downside of the UK is my limited time with my Thai family, but then, shortly that will be fixed and I will move to an enjoyable life in Thailand.

All the while thanking the UK for providing the education, opportunity, employment, challenges and experience that enables me to do so

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm thinking you haven't been to Spain recently.

It's changed since the 1980s, and not for the better.

Realmente, soy español y no puedo entender por qué a los jubilados del norte de Europa les gusta venir aquí para la jubilación. España ahora no es un buen destino para hombres solteros e incluso es una prisión sexual (los mismos Estados Unidos, Italia, ...). Paradises no se acaba, pero Tailandia con suficiente dinero y el conocimiento sobre la sociedad y la cultura tailandesa puede ser mucho mejor

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, chacarero said:

Actually, I am Spanish and I can not understand why retired people in Northern Europe like to come here for retirement. Spain now is not a good destination for single men and it is even a sexual prison (the same United States, Italy, ...). Paradise does not exist, but Thailand with enough money and knowledge about Thai society and culture can be much better

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Tell that to the widow of Graham Briar, he died on the operating table in Chiang Rai due to heart issues. In the UK, his home country, his chance of survival would have been much better. The truth is that medical care here is not that great, unless you are in Bangkok and pay top dollar for the best surgeons. 

On the other hand, who wants to live forever?

Not me, I've had enough already, and certainly wouldn't have people cutting into me to try and extend my stay.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand, who wants to live forever?

Not me, I've had enough already, and certainly wouldn't have people cutting into me to try and extend my stay.

Fair enough if 80yo but he was only 53.