Khon Kaen school director transferred over meatless lunches

webfact

School director transferred over meatless lunches

By The Nation

d6866e1a70e542a134ed315932e4d0c3.jpeg

A Khon Kaen school director has been transferred over the latest school-lunch scandal.

Anuban Khon Kaen School’s director Apichart Nalao must report to work at Khon Kaen’s Primary Educational Service Area 1 office from today onward for allegedly allowing the school to serve only a meatless bowl of rice to students for lunch. 

“We are investigating the allegation,” the office’s chief Phumipat Ruanglae said yesterday. 

Last Friday, several parents called on the government to investigate the quality of lunch served at Anuban Khon Kaen School. 

Phumipat said the investigation had so far learned that the lunch supplier had won the contract to provide lunch for the school through an e-auction. 

“The Education Ministry has provided a lunch budget via the Interior Ministry at no more than Bt20 per meal per head. The supplier offered a lower price than Bt20 to win the approval,” Phumipat said. 

Apichart called a meeting with parents on Saturday to discuss lunch-quality issues. 

He said he had already threatened to cancel the contract with the supplier if it failed to improve the lunch quality within two weeks. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30347946

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-18

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Anuban Khon Kaen School’s director Apichart Nalao must report to work at Khon Kaen’s Primary Educational Service Area 1 office from today onward for allegedly allowing the school to serve only a meatless bowl of rice to students for lunch. 

And what pray tell is his work going to be at Khon Kaen’s Primary Educational Service Area 1 office?

Will he have to write one hundred times on the blackboard "rice without meat is no lunch"? Will he have to wear a "Hello Kitty" bracelet for tarnishing the image of the education department?

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Haha 2

How well was the Contract written ?

So the Director advertises for a supplier stipulating a max of 20 bht per head (obviously skimming )

So the vendor has no choice but to come in cheaper so profits are made (business )

But it should fall on the Director concerning the quality of provided meals as per say Contract

• Like 1

In previous article was mentioned humiliating initialization ritual in Chonburi school with the knowledge of teachers and directors  amd nothing happened. Here a meatless lunch amd director is fired.

AMAZING THAILAND!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

All in the name of financial greed, to line his own pockets, disgraceful.

How is it possible to make a lunch for 20 baht, or in this case even less.

Where is it saying in the article it was out of greed, or pocketlining?

What is wrong for the parents to give a filled lunchbox to their children, knowing there is only 20 baht available for preparing a lunch?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, diddygq said:

This is one of the top primary schools in Khon Kaen. 

I was surprised to learn that two Thai teachers I know, that were there for over 25 years had transferred to a less prestige school because of the new director (which is this dingbat). 

The foreign teachers are on a 12 month contract and he decided to literally steal a month's pay from each and only pay them 11 months without prior notice. 

Wide-open corruption at its finest. Unfortunately, worst case scenario he gets transferred to another school instead of going to prison. 

One of the top primary schools in khon Kaen - lol

58 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You make the point about skimming regarding 20 baht per head.

Well mate all government schools are allocated 20 baht per head for school lunches, please dont tell me i am wrong as my wife is a school director, and has told me this on more than1 occasion.

We have both been reading the recent reports about directors given just rice or noodles t children, and the wifes comment was, not easy to feed good food with only 20 baht per child.

I's amazing to read this considering the enormity of the overall education budget...

Any discussion of the quality of the meat?   Is it grass-fed or factory farmed?    I suspect the latter and these kids are not missing much.   How about some locally caught fish to eat for their necessary protein.    How about closely looking at what is being served and how and if the food supports the health of these lovely young rascals?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

You make the point about skimming regarding 20 baht per head.

Well mate all government schools are allocated 20baht per head for school lunches, please dont tell me i am wrong as my wife is a school director, and has told me this n more than1 occasion.

As we've seen throughout the Thai government, it's not what has been allocated to agencies but what has been actually disbursed, ie., to a vendor or recipient. With little or no transparency or accountability, there is an opportunity for corruption: a gap between the two with disbursement being less than budgeted.

As in this case the salary of the director is separately funded, there should be no difference between budget and disbursement for the provision of school meals. 

As BEVUP questions, how well was the contract written?

If there's no standard for school-provided meals (ie., calories, nutritional ingredients, etc.) or if the director uses his own (ie., lower) standard, a bidder thinking that the maximum allowed bid is 20 baht will bid lower in accordance to the meal's specifications, ie., 15 baht. In such a case the vendor would not be contractually in default. The director would be solely responsible for corruption.

If a bidder colludes with the director to ignore contractually stated meal standards to provide a lower bid using an agreed cheaper unauthorized standard (ie., omit meat protein), the vendor would be jointly responsible with the director for corruption.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tracyb said:

What is there to investigate....?  1) Look at the lunches, 2) Fire the contractor, 3) Fire the Director.  

Its all about 'face'  .....  firing him would accuse him of doing somthing illegal or wrong, doen't matter if he in fact was doing somthing illegal or wrong.  so an investigation just makes the poop look better.   Tis is why he was transferred, not fired.

Edited by TunnelRat69

17 hours ago, BEVUP said:

How well was the Contract written ?

So the Director advertises for a supplier stipulating a max of 20 bht per head (obviously skimming )

So the vendor has no choice but to come in cheaper so profits are made (business )

But it should fall on the Director concerning the quality of provided meals as per say Contract

It does not seem like much but I get a substantial chicken Pad Thai individually cooked

for 50 baht down at the Jomtien beach road night market. It would feed two children

for lunch without a doubt. 20baht is not much but in the right hands you would be surprised

what can be done.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2018 at 11:12 AM, hansnl said:

That's very well possible. I get some tasty food including vegetables and meat at the local restaurants for 40 THB after which i'm really full. I'm probably 5 times the size of a primary student, so for sure this meal would feed two of them. And they are making food for probably hundreds of children which is much more cost effective than my made-to-order meal.

The company in this case here is just too greedy

Edited by jackdd

On 6/18/2018 at 11:12 AM, hansnl said:

Where is it saying in the article it was out of greed, or pocketlining?

What is wrong for the parents to give a filled lunchbox to their children, knowing there is only 20 baht available for preparing a lunch?

Well, I manage to get three meals for about 50bht, and I'm an adult. 300gm of minced pork from Tesco for 34bht, cooked with onion, peppers and gravy. 5bht for 200gm of flour and make two meat pies (100gm mince each), 7bht for 100gm of spaghetti.

meal 1, meat (mince and onion) pie with chips.

meal 2, mince and spaghetti.

meal 3, cold meat pie on it's own.

Chicken is even cheaper.