Traveling to Europe with my baby who has 2 passports

My toddler has a thai and New Zealand passport. I want to fly into Europe on the NZ passport as we evidently dont have to worry about visas. 

At Swampie airport immigration do we exit her using the Thai passport and then simply present the NZ passport at immigration in Zurich when flying in. They will not see an exit stamp in that passport. I presume they will accept the thai passport for that use?

If we fly out of germany obviously we present the NZ passport and back into thailand with the Thai passport. Is this all correct?

I presume we dont need a re-entry permit in the NZ passport. 

Thanks for any opinion on this

• Like 1

If you travel without mother make sure you have the consent done.

I had no idea that thing even existed until me and my son both were pulled out at the Suvarnabhumi passport control. We almost missed the flight. My son has Thai mother and both Thai and EU passports.

I have a similar situation my son is 16+ with Irish and Thai passports. ... In and out of Ireland on Irish passport and in and out of Thailand on Thai passport. Checking in at airlines in same manner? That is Irish in Dublin and Thai in BKK?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nip said:

I have a similar situation my son is 16+ with Irish and Thai passports. ... In and out of Ireland on Irish passport and in and out of Thailand on Thai passport. Checking in at airlines in same manner? That is Irish in Dublin and Thai in BKK?  

For check in it is normal to show both passports, as the airline will want to confirm that the necessary requirements for entry to the destination country are met.

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

For check in it is normal to show both passports, as the airline will want to confirm that the necessary requirements for entry to the destination country are met.

Thank you. I will have both.

My kids have 4 passports. British, Canadian, Australian and NZ. I use my Canadian passport to get into Canada and that is all they check. If I feel in a grumpy mood I show them all my passports, that really gets them in a tiz. The airline do not care so long as you will not be blocked at the other end.

As one post said, make sure you have a letter from their mother saying it is OK for them to travel with you. I have been stopped at Canada and the US for that. Fortunately they believed me when I pleaded ignorance.

I also have a Green Card for the US. For all the fingerprinting, photographing and personal details, immigration at LAX still has not realised that I travel on two passports.

My kids have 4 passports. British, Canadian, Australian and NZ. I use my Canadian passport to get into Canada and that is all they check. If I feel in a grumpy mood I show them all my passports, that really gets them in a tiz. The airline do not care so long as you will not be blocked at the other end.

As one post said, make sure you have a letter from their mother saying it is OK for them to travel with you. I have been stopped at Canada and the US for that. Fortunately they believed me when I pleaded ignorance.

I also have a Green Card for the US. For all the fingerprinting, photographing and personal details, immigration at LAX still has not realised that I travel on two passports.

Just out of curiosity , how are they entitled to 4 passports?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nip said:
5 hours ago, Mattd said:

Thank you. I will have both.

You should have both passports with you, but you only need to show check-in staff the passport they’re traveling (entering destination country) with.

22 minutes ago, pontious said:

What happens when the passports have different surnames - what name do you put on the ticket?

The name on the passport being used to enter the destination country.

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You should have both passports with you, but you only need to show check-in staff the passport they’re traveling (entering destination country) with.

Oddly the last time he travelled to Ireland Emirates wanted to see his Thai passport exiting BKK. Either waý I'm covered. The big thing as detailed elsewhere is parental approval. I have sole custody but always until he's 18 carry the court papers confirming this. Thank you.

10 hours ago, Nip said:

Oddly the last time he travelled to Ireland Emirates wanted to see his Thai passport exiting BKK. Either waý I'm covered.

That is really normal procedure if that is the passport they entered on or it is the first time they are leaving the country. The airline want to see the passport used to stay in the country to be sure a person can clear immigration before boarding the flight.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is really normal procedure if that is the passport they entered on or it is the first time they are leaving the country. The airline want to see the passport used to stay in the country to be sure a person can clear immigration before boarding the flight.

Yes they were not interested in his Irish passport.

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

In my experience they want to see both, especially in countries like UK, where there are no direct outward immigration controls, although it is not directly the check in staffs responsibility, they tend to check the passport of the departure and destination country and as the traveler would have both passports on them, then there is no harm in showing both if asked by the check in staff.

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

In my experience they want to see both, especially in countries like UK, where there are no direct outward immigration controls, although it is not directly the check in staffs responsibility, they tend to check the passport of the departure and destination country and as the traveler would have both passports on them, then there is no harm in showing both if asked by the check in staff.

That is not my experience. Airlines are only interested in the travelers right to enter the country they are carrying them to. There is no need to hand over both passports unless asked for. Keep it simple.

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

That is not my experience. Airlines are only interested in the travelers right to enter the country they are carrying them to. There is no need to hand over both passports unless asked for. Keep it simple.

I don't disagree in keeping it simple, going back to when my boys were younger the check in staff would ask 4 times out of 5, the important thing to remember here is to only show the Thai passport to immigration.