Big changes in Thailand for farangs

bkk bank & kasikorn bank let people start an account for the purpose

of retirement visa, even if they just have tourist visa,

but for anyone not old enuff to apply for retirement visa,

things are rough

10 hours ago, greenchair said:

I would be very careful about the part that says, my girlfriend had to sign as guarantor.

No such thing. 

Guarantor was probably the wrong word he used. She signed as his reference to get the bank account that is done all the time.

He would know it if was a joint account. That cannot be done in secret.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Which amphoe (many in Bangkok - I tried several and failed) and what year was this?

We registered our marriage at amphoe Bangrak since we had to pick up our documents from the MFA in Bangkok. We live in Chiang Mai. It was a pleasant experience, no extra money involved and the marriage certificate came in a special hardcover folder.  

Edited by prism

i made several approaches to banks in bkk, approx 3 yrs ago, to open a bank account..at that stage ,i was in my early sixties and visiting thailand two or three times per year...

none of the banks were very co-operative.

next, after buying a condo at pattaya, i went with my  UK  sales agent to  bkk bank in second rd, to open an account.

this was done within 30 mins, no problems at all... i dont have work visa,a thai wife, or even a retirement visa {at that stage}.

i have since deposited 800,000 in term deposit and get my NZ  pension transferred to my savings account.

all this has been  very easily organised by myself.

every visit to that bank is pleasant and efficient...

i think, maybe ??  these banks are more used to dealing with  farlangs..

i know lots of local farlang business owners,use the same bank {by soi 6}

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Any "new" restrictions either did not exist 2 and 3 years ago or were not being enforced so we can consign those first two instances to the totally irrelevant folder.

With your singular, recent success at Krungsri, that still leaves you overwhelmingly bucking the undeniable trend that local banks are increasingly enforcing government mandated restrictions on foreigners eligibility to open new bank accounts. Even foreigners with existing accounts and no WP have reported been denied opening new accounts at branches of banks where they already have that existing account.

BTW, what has forum moderating got to do with anything? You could also be perceived as calling those unfortunate enough to have been denied a new bank account liars based on your success in opening a single account?

Personal experience in Thailand cannot be applied as the standard that everyone else can expect. The fact that some bureaucratic process was easy only makes some crow louder about their anomalous success.

The bank I have been with for many years would not let me open a second acc', I wanted a second atm card to use outside Thailand so I could limit loss or theft problems.

No wp, no chance.

I had an odd request at SCB yesterday, a bank I've had an account at for 12 years. I asked for a new debit card with a chip and pin option, which was no problem; 100 baht and it was in my hand in ten minutes.

But after signing my passport copy the girl stated that I needed to enter a UK address! 

"But I've been living in Phuket for 12 years."

"If you have British passport you need British address."

"Why"

"All foreigners have to give foreign address"

I didn't say any more, just put my parents' address on the form, confirmed that any statement will still contain my Thai address and that was it.

Anyone else come across this?  

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I had an odd request at SCB yesterday, a bank I've had an account at for 12 years. I asked for a new debit card with a chip and pin option, which was no problem; 100 baht and it was in my hand in ten minutes.

But after signing my passport copy the girl stated that I needed to enter a UK address! 

"Why"

I didn't say any more, just put my parents' address on the form, confirmed that any statement will still contain my Thai address and that was it.

Got a new card with PIN (6-digits) and chip from Kasikorn 3 weeks ago, just usual paperwork to sign for receipt of card, nothing else. Even new passport and applying at bank different from original branch was no issue at all.

41 minutes ago, madmitch said:

"Why"

Yup, earlier in the year, exactly the same at the SCB too.

Picked up new chip & pin card, they wanted a UK address.

Me: I don't have one, I've lived here twenty years, I don't have a UK address. Had this account for nine years without you needing a UK address before.

Staff: But we need one.

Me: Yawn, OK then. I gave them my address from twenty years ago.

Staff: Thanks.

BTW, all Thai banks are in the process of replacing the old magnetic strip only card, with the new 'chip & pin' card - this is for all customers.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, poanoi said:

reading about the new issues of opening a bank account

even on a retirement visa i'm thinking perhaps i should open a 2nd account

now just in case i find myself wanting one before i die

Actually Bangkok Bank is handling in good order  new bank account applications

• Like 1

16 hours ago, glegolo said:

I wish to add to this.... Here in Chaiyaphum I have myself helped like 5 or 6 falang-friends to get thai bank-accounts on Khrung Thai Bank. Khrunfs ri (ayutthaya Bank) Bangkok bank and Kasikorn Bank... ALL banks here without any exceptions, they demand to have proof of address, mostly the yellow book (tabien baan), but in one case even the driver license was OK.

So I have over time get myself tabien baan, thai ID-card, and driver licenses, and on top of that, I am married.

Without being nasty - But sometimes I wonder, over how helpless some people just are. "There are people who get things done - and there are people who must ask other people to get things done".... Which one are you?

glegolo

I got my Bangkok Bank account opened on a tourist visa, just needed a government official to sign it off. I was at Big C Bangkok Bank a few months ago and a farang was having difficulty, the Mrs told his wife to do that (most people know someone), and the teller said it would work also - like it did for me. From memory, I needed a work permit for KrungThai bank here. I don't have yellow book or Thai ID.

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, stud858 said:

That's how it is. Some get no hassle.  Some get hassle.  The advice is be prepared for all the situations. Prepare your docs,  be polite,  offer money incentive for their trouble to help you, go back another day when different officer working. Etc.

Most things can get worked out. The world keeps spinning.

That is the number one thing that really pisses me off about Thailand. Well, after the level of driving 'skills'. You never know where you are in dealing with any official as they all make up their own rules, and some try to be as difficult and obstructive as they can, because they can and no matter what the rules are. I once spent 15 minutes trying in vain just to get a local official to sign a form saying the person in a photo was me. I gave up in the end and walked out, much to the annoyance of my wife who still wai-ed her for taking the piss because she wore a uniform and therefore had to be respected.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

Actually Bangkok Bank is handling in good order  new bank account applications

yes, bkk bank & kasikorn still open,

but for how long ? and will they allow me more than one account ?

i can see myself using one account for bringing in money,

and a 2nd account only for satisfy visa requirement if i believe

immigration will give me visa

18 hours ago, likewise said:

Same here, I recently opened a 2nd account with kasikorn without work permit. Regarding getting married I'll let ya know next week. It is my second time ?I'm going through the mill but so far the procedure seems the same as when I got married 9 years ago. 

Kasikorn in Big C Extra Pattaya Klang refused to open a second account for me unless I had a work permit.

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

reading about the new issues of opening a bank account

even on a retirement visa i'm thinking perhaps i should open a 2nd account

now just in case i find myself wanting one before i die

I have accounts with 2 different banks, as does my wife.

Just in case.

41 minutes ago, grego49 said:

In the past 2 months  i have taken 2 friends to my branch of the Krungsri bank and both have opened accounts without any problems after they had refused by bbk bank and kasikorn and siam comm,cheers

can you let us know what city and branch ?  mainly which bbk bank branch refused and which krungsri branch said ok ?  also, was this on a tourist visa, a visa exempt, non imm O, etc...  i'm not trying to give you a hard time but i often see questions on bangkok and people respond with experience in pattaya (and vice versa).  it is fine to have the info in the same thread but clarifying where one is talking about helps.  i didn't mention bangkok in my previous post in the thread as i know the OP is talking about bangkok.  maybe you did the same, but would still help to know the branches assuming it was bangkok.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Guarantor was probably the wrong word he used. She signed as his reference to get the bank account that is done all the time.

He would know it if was a joint account. That cannot be done in secret.  

A. Usually a reference can't be a friend or spouse. It has to be an employer or someone of standing in the community. 

B.this is thailand, he doesn't speak or read thai. He would have no idea what documents he was signing or even if it was a joint account. And since none of us has seen the document, we would not know either. 

C. A joint account can require only one signiture or both signatures. 

Not reading thai he most likely signed several papers and her too. 

It could be anything. I have never needed a reference to open a bank account. 

12 minutes ago, greenchair said:

A. Usually a reference can't be a friend or spouse. It has to be an employer or someone of standing in the community. 

B.this is thailand, he doesn't speak or read thai. He would have no idea what documents he was signing or even if it was a joint account. And since none of us has seen the document, we would not know either. 

C. A joint account can require only one signiture or both signatures. 

Not reading thai he most likely signed several papers and her too. 

It could be anything. I have never needed a reference to open a bank account. 

A. My wife has been my reference to open a bank account. There is no rule that says it cannot be a friend or spouse.

B. A joint account shows both names on the bank book. I have had 2 of them with my wife at 2 different banks.

I think you failed to read the post where states he has known his fiancee for several years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yup, earlier in the year, exactly the same at the SCB too.

Picked up new chip & pin card, they wanted a UK address.

Me: I don't have one, I've lived here twenty years, I don't have a UK address. Had this account for nine years without you needing a UK address before.

Staff: But we need one.

Me: Yawn, OK then. I gave them my address from twenty years ago.

Staff: Thanks.

BTW, all Thai banks are in the process of replacing the old magnetic strip only card, with the new 'chip & pin' card - this is for all customers.

It is not just about chip and pin cards. It does seem to be about SCB rules though.

I went to open a fixed deposit account at a branch of SCB. Exactly as you and another poster, I was asked for my UK address. When I explained that I don't have one, have lived permanently in Thailand nearly 30 years, I was asked for my parents' address in the UK instead. Don't have any (died already)! At this point the manager was called and other staff came forward as well, had a conflab and all looked genuinely sad for me! I offered to give them the address of the last house I lived in in London and they readily accepted that finally.

It is just some rule that has come down from head office from someone who hasn't thought it through fully. Like many rules in Thailand, they can be circumvented with a bit of ingenuity and a polite smile.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

yes, bkk bank & kasikorn still open,

but for how long ? and will they allow me more than one account ?

i can see myself using one account for bringing in money,

and a 2nd account only for satisfy visa requirement if i believe

immigration will give me visa

As usual it depends on the individual branches. Some will some won't.

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The tourist visa is I think the root of your problem.

I'm not sure it has ever been possible to open a bank account with one.

Those of us with non-O visas or b visas and one year extensions of stay, have nto usually had much difficulty.

it has indeed been possible and remains so according to published bank policy. whether it is possible in reality, i dunno.

I think the requirement about giving a U.K. address has something to do with U.S. gov't rules.  They don't want to have to report to the U.S. gov't that you have a bank account in Thailand.  What they really should be asking is if you are liable to pay income taxes in the U.S.  Someone with a U.K. passport could still be liable to pay U.S. federal income tax.  Thai banks are trying to comply with the nonsense rules about reporting to the U.S. gov't the bank account balances of all U.S. citizens.  There really should be an exemption for bank accounts in the country of residency of U.S. citizens.  But, I digress ......

As for someone being "a guaranteer".   As others have commented, sometimes the banks ask for someone to be a reference.  That person doesn't have to be Thai, but they should be able to read and understand the form they are signing.  Normally, it's someone of standing in the community, known to the bank and ideally someone who has large deposits at that bank.  I've served as a reference for several new arrivals at a local Bangkok Bank branch and never gotten burned.  And no, I don't charge for this "service".  Someone shouldn't have to employ an agent to help open a bank account.

• Like 2

I banked with Standard Chartered and when they were sold and everything transferred to Tisco, I chose to go back to SCB. My previous account was not active anymore and they point blank refused to open a new account for me until I took out my Platinum SCB credit card and asked how they can trust me with a credit card but won't open a bank account for me. They opened an account after that.  

• Like 1