Big changes in Thailand for farangs

To do immigration on busy and/or tourist cities it is always more difficult than in small cities. About open an bank  account, it is very easy if you do with a bank client at your side, Thai or Foreigner. Looks like your GF do not have a bank account. If you are American, to open an account in Bangkok Bank it is easy just saying that you will do your money transfers using the Bangkok Bank office in New York and you do need to have a Bangkok Bank account here to do it.

21 hours ago, pr9spk said:

My experiences today show that things have definitely changed here for farangs.

I know what you mean but in Thailand alternate reality, your experience sounds like situation normal.  End of the day, you got it done, and on an >SETV< no less.   The assertion about a govt conspiracy to block farang/Thai marriages was a bit OTT - but I get it, you're frustrated.  You'll figure it out.

FWIW, I came in on a SE Non-O based on marriage and both BKK Bank and later, Krungsi bank, tried to fob me off.  They got it done in the end though.

Pace yourself, you've got more fun times ahead.   Sometimes things go like clockwork.  Sometimes they don't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what the MFA would have to do with it. They only verify the translation of the affirmation of permit to marry.

The only ministry that would be involved in it would be the Interior Ministry.

Just what I was thinking too.

After reading many posts on this subject I have to say it has raised some concerns about moving to Chiang Mai in November. I am retired and my wife is a pharmacist currently here in the states. She plans on teaching English at a private school after we settle in. I had no idea it was this treacherous of a process to open a bank account. I am fully aware of the Thai way, etc., but there seems to be an anti-faring undercurrent that doesn’t quite give us a warm and fuzzy feeling when it comes to living in Thailand. I know there are agencies I have come across online that are supposed to take care of these matters with you for a fee, but now I wonder about their efficacy. Seems like this could be an expensive process even using one of them to secure visas and bank accounts and all the rest that they advertise. The average fee for their services is around $500.00 but wonder now how much that will increase with this mounting resistance to Farangs. I’m starting to wonder if our dream of retiring in Thailand could turn into a nightmare after a while. This is very disappointing to say the least. 

• Like 1

I agree - something doesn't add up here. I opened my account in minutes albeit with a spouse visa and 3 or 4 years ago. And all the ex-pats I know have opened accounts with minimal effort unless something has changed very recently. I would advise against using the agent (especially if they got wind of your substantial deposit on its way)!!!! Good Luck and if at first you don't succeed - then try and try again!!!

4 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

After reading many posts on this subject I have to say it has raised some concerns about moving to Chiang Mai in November. I am retired and my wife is a pharmacist currently here in the states. She plans on teaching English at a private school after we settle in. I had no idea it was this treacherous of a process to open a bank account. I am fully aware of the Thai way, etc., but there seems to be an anti-faring undercurrent that doesn’t quite give us a warm and fuzzy feeling when it comes to living in Thailand. I know there are agencies I have come across online that are supposed to take care of these matters with you for a fee, but now I wonder about their efficacy. Seems like this could be an expensive process even using one of them to secure visas and bank accounts and all the rest that they advertise. The average fee for their services is around $500.00 but wonder now how much that will increase with this mounting resistance to Farangs. I’m starting to wonder if our dream of retiring in Thailand could turn into a nightmare after a while. This is very disappointing to say the least. 

Anti-farang undercurrent or 'sentiment'? What are you talking about, I feel as happy and safe here as I did years ago. The main differences are that now Thailand has so many foreigners you are not special anymore like you used to be (fine by me, as I don't see why being a farang should be considered 'special' we're just human beings).

I think you'll be fine. However, there may be other reasons why Thailand may not be for you, but some imaginary anti-foreigner sentiment can't be the reason. For starters, Thailand has never (to my knowledge) had any anti-foreigner riots. On the other hand, there have been anti-foreigner riots in China in recent years (mainly against Japanese, but back in 1999 against Americans which then turned into all westerners because in China there is this erroneous assumption that all westerners are American) and more recently in Vietnam (against Chinese) and Cambodia (against Vietnamese and back in 2003 against Thais).

22 hours ago, pr9spk said:

That sounds correct to me. Did you open the accounts recently? I think the retirement visa seems a lot more kosher than a 37 year old on a SETV.

You haven't learnt nothings 'kosher'.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Kasikorn in Big C Extra Pattaya Klang refused to open a second account for me unless I had a work permit.

About 2 years ago I opened a bank account there on a tourist visa. The only thing I needed to do was to buy some 15.000 Baht insurance policy. But my Thai GF assisted me, perhaps that helped a bit in some way. Yes, 15.000 Baht is a lot of money, but for me it was worth the hassle.

If you have a lot of money, it might be a better idea to buy a Thai Elite visa, it's probably more convenient than a marriage visa anyway. And they will assist you in opening a Thai bank account if you'd like that as well. 

Thanks for your input but if you read what this poster went through to get a bank account then I think you should at least see where I am concerned. I am not saying that all Thais hate us and demonstrate like other countries and whatever else you imply that I meant. I simply am saying that there are reasons for concerns. I am a former vet who is very aware of what living in Thailand is all about. I always loved Thailand and her people and that’s why I would like to retire there. It just seems like there is in certain quarters more resistance now than there used to be when it comes to farangs, maybe understandably so, but it’s there. I am very aware of the cultural differences and the “Thai way” etc. Anyway, thanks again for you input. I just have what (I think), are legitimate concerns. We so want to go there, be respectful, law abiding visitors and assimilate into the Thai way life. 

• Like 1

I too was planning to move to Chiang Mai. Now, maybe not. I opened a savings account on visa exempt (USA passport) at the Bangkok Bank Meechok Plaza branch about 3 years ago. After getting married to my Thai GF, she wanted to have a joint account, so went to above mentioned branch to do same. No problem, except during the visit to the office, my now Thai wife closed the savings account which was in my name without consulting me. Of course, that made me furious, but too late. What was done, was done. Recently went back to same branch to open an account in my name only again. Upon sitting down I asked the girl to speak in English during the transaction. She said yes. Last word of English spoken. Spoke Thai to my wife & wouldn't even make eye contact with me. After several minutes of conversation between the two, looking at forms, etc. my wife said to me that the girl said "cannot". Surprise, surprise. I said to my wife, "why?". She said the girl told her things are different now. Requirements have changed. I called bs on that, & in a fit of anger walked out of the branch leaving my wife to visit with the girl in the branch. When my wife came out she was furious with me for embarrassing both herself & the girl. I had caused them both to lose face. Bottom line no account in my name only.

Just my personal experience. Your mileage may vary. 

22 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Believe it or not, 27 years ago I was coming to live in Doi Saket, Chiang Mai province and decided to get a Thai marriage certificate for the sake of my pregnant wife who wanted that paper to show when she gave birth. I got all the paperwork from Bangkok and off we went to the Doi Saket Amphur where after an hour of indecision and delay they refused to marry us. Said that nowhere in the papers did it say I loved her. Truly. We got in the car, drove to Chiang Mai city and were married within 2 hours. I wanted to go back and shove the certificate in their faces but my wife's cool temper prevailed. Anything is possible according to the person, their mood on the day. 

Your last sentence says it all. This is Thailand.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

Yes you are very smart and accurate about this.

The anti Falang undercurrent you feel may be a problem in your life.

Why don't you try Cambodia?

Maybe have your wife work at an Orphanage.

Could be more suitable for your needs.

Good luck to you and your future.

22 hours ago, rumak said:

also dismissing the fact that so many of us have easily opened accounts as being out of touch with

how things are now....just because YOU had trouble..... might explain some things about your attitude

as well.    banks, and govt institutions do not like attitude.    just sayin

So if a person has a bad attitude towards you. you should just accept it?

I agree that if you have a complaint you should keep calm and not get angry, but if someone

is showing a bad attitude to you, (in my experience very unusual in a Thai) you do not just sit back and take it.

Most Thai banks are 30 years behind how Western banks operate .  Over 50 years, I have opened at least 20 different bank accounts, almost always without problem.  However, I find the banking staff mostly rigid and follow the Manager's predisposition to handling Westerners. 

Many Thai banks are worried about being cheated; money laundering and all kinds of regulation so a foreign customer may represent.   a 'threat' to them. I do remember years and years ago sitting in a very large Thai bank being told I couldn't open an account. I calmly picked up my cell phone- called the bank Head office and stated I was in their branch and being refused a simple bank account. I handed the phone to the bank worker who was told to open the account- which she eventually did after a few hours delay and  saving face.

Since I am now retired- I prefer foreign ATM cards and avoid Thai banks as much as possible. Though married to a Thai- I use the retirement extension of stay and the Embassy letter  verifying income to avoid using and putting money in Thai banks.  I don't fear  losing the money- I simply want to avoid their  silly bureaucracy.

As far as getting married to a Thai- I have been through it twice with no problems at 2 different Amphur in Bangkok. However, I have become aware that some Amphurs are reluctant to do their job while others want more 'paperwork'.  I am sure all of this is a result of the phony marriages which included  government workers 

When one lives in Thailand, one has to have patience and go with the flow. Not everyone can do it and for these people-Thailand is not a good choice for residence. 

Hope the OP has a successful marriage and a long happy life and  oodles of patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a timely post.  Was refused opening a new account by Three branches of SCB despite having 5 existing accounts with the same bank and a credit card with them.  It is frankly nonsense but I feel confident I could traipse around and eventually find a bank that will open one.  It's all too much hassle really for no obvious reason and totally illogical which about sums up most of the rules in Neverland.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I have two bank accounts with no problems what so ever I am married but not to a Thai and up until a year ago my wife also had a bank account , we are on an extension of stay visa ( Retirement ) as some insist on calling it. Last month I took my friend to the yellow bank and within 20 minutes having 50,000 baht in cash he came out with a savings account book and a debit card his visa at the time was a 90 day visa which has since been converted to an extension of stay . I am surprised when I hear of people having difficulties opening a saving bank account here in Thailand . When I took my friend to the yellow bank they even tried to persuade me to have a savings account with themso there are banks out there who welcome new clients regardless of nationality .

Fantastic news.  

You took him there great.

He had what type of stay/visa? Or, nothing but exempt? No address you did not explain..

So, to help others: what branch and location, and who did you contact?

Thanks for helping with this.

37 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

Avoid using agents. I think it better to do the process yourself, be honest, and then you know exactly how it works, and what is involved.

Don't get spooked by a few negative posts here.

Agents here sometimes use shady  tactics that can get you in trouble and poison the process in the future.

You are talking about a retirement visa for both of you. No sweat. Go to the Thai gov website, read the rules and docs required for the visa, gather them all scrupulously, and send them off to the Thai embassy in Los Angeles. All done in a week.

When you arrive and find a place to stay, even short term, get your landlord/condo owner, Thai friend, farang friend, etc. to go to the bank with you and open an account. Bangkok Bank is everywhere in Thailand  and has been good to me..

Your position and goals are the easiest to satisfy here, and it will go smoothly for you.

Send me a private message if you want. I have a US telephone number and I can answer basic questions for you.

One word of caution however. I strongly suggest visiting here for two months before committing to get visas and move.. You have an automatic visa when you fly in. That means you collect your bags and leave the Airport and start your visit. Then a few days before your 30th day here, go to a local immigration office and get an easy extension for another 30 days.

Go home and decide if you really want to move here and start the visa process.

Thailand is not heaven; no place is.

As a US citizen myself though I prefer the madness here over the madness in America.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tacuisse said:

Sounds to me you need to move away from Bangkok. I've never heard of these difficulties in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

Went to open a bank account with Kasikorn Bank NO PROBLEM Went to get married NO PROBLEM Yeah sounds like you needed to get away from Bangkok I have never had a problem with the Kasikorn Bank 

• Thanks 1

I don't know why so much people here had problems to open a bank account. In the last 25 years I opened around 7-8 bank account at different banks and never ever needed more as my passport. The last 2 years ago at SCB Bank.

Can it be that this is about my honest face? ;-)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snowgard said:

I don't know why so much people here had problems to open a bank account. In the last 25 years I opened around 7-8 bank account at different banks and never ever needed more as my passport. The last 2 years ago at SCB Bank.

Can it be that this is about my honest face? ?

No.

And things have changed a lot over the past 2 years so your input is totally irrelevant.

23 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I never offered any pocket money. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Well that is where you are wrong. Lets see 6 extensions of stay for retirement, two bank accounts, married at the local amphurs office and guess what never been asked for a baht.

I think your are the character in LiL Abner cartoons who always had a black cloud over his head and nothing ever went right for him. I have met a few like that in Thailand nothing ever goes right for them and of course they never are at fault. For got also opened a brokerage account at Baulang Securities, still trading Thai stocks and making money.

Edited by moe666

41 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Avoid using agents. I think it better to do the process yourself, be honest, and then you know exactly how it works, and what is involved.

Don't get spooked by a few negative posts here.

Agents here sometimes use shady  tactics that can get you in trouble and poison the process in the future.

You are talking about a retirement visa for both of you. No sweat. Go to the Thai gov website, read the rules and docs required for the visa, gather them all scrupulously, and send them off to the Thai embassy in Los Angeles. All done in a week.

When you arrive and find a place to stay, even short term, get your landlord/condo owner, Thai friend, farang friend, etc. to go to the bank with you and open an account. Bangkok Bank is everywhere in Thailand  and has been good to me..

Your position and goals are the easiest to satisfy here, and it will go smoothly for you.

Send me a private message if you want. I have a US telephone number and I can answer basic questions for you.

One word of caution however. I strongly suggest visiting here for two months before committing to get visas and move.. You have an automatic visa when you fly in. That means you collect your bags and leave the Airport and start your visit. Then a few days before your 30th day here, go to a local immigration office and get an easy extension for another 30 days.

Go home and decide if you really want to move here and start the visa process.

Thailand is not heaven; no place is.

As a US citizen myself though I prefer the madness here over the madness in America.

Best of luck.

Hello!

Thanks for the informative reply. 

We have no illusions when it comes to living in Chiang Mai. I don’t know if you saw in an earlier post that I am a former G.I. Who spent a couple of years there when it was much less developed than it is now. Thai life for a faring is an experience to say the least. Big cultural differences to take into account while living there. The “Thai Way” (as I am fully aware of) is alive and well. 

I have been online for months months now getting up to speed on this upcoming lifestyle change. I have secured a nice condo for the month of November from a farang who lives there with his Thai wife. He owns three in a hi-rise in Chiang Mai. He and his wife have offered to assist us in securing the requisite visas and bank accounts, phones, etc. This will give us an opportunity to look at homes we have researched at a much more leisurely pace and to complete all the required tasks needed to assimilate. 

Agencies that don’t appear to be fly by night outfits are Thailand Retirement Helpers, Chiang Mai Buddy and expat.com. 

As I mentioned above I may not need to go that route. 

Again your information and offer of assistance is very meaningful to us. I look forward to continuing this correspondence. 

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't read all of the posts on here but I have the general gist.

I think the doom and gloomers on here, that think the Thai authorities change rules for the fun of it and just to p*&s people off, are only looking at one side of the story.

Many, if not most, of the changes follow a story of a scam. People getting married just for a visa, people allegedly working to get a visa, bank account and ATM scams, etc etc.

Every action has a reaction.

• Like 1