Big changes in Thailand for farangs

Never had a problem`, openi8ng a banki account or getting married, however there are many places where farangs by their own personalities have made life difficult. 

I live in Udon Thani,  narry a problem , suggest you really try  Kueng Thai Bank, not onl;y is a the Thai Govt bank it has swift codes etc for transferring money. 

18 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Bring more critcism please. I really don't understand some of these posts.

18 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Is there a reason why posters on here just look for any reason to denigrate someone?

I have been on ThaiVisa since 2005 and on another forum before that and It has never ceased to amaze me how some people seem intent on denigrating some posters, or look to interpret their posts in an entirely different/obtuse way.

Just recently I posted that my ex g/f was working in a hotel as an accountant when we first met, and a few posts suggested I was lying and one even suggesting she probably worked in a bar......etc etc and was a liar!!! 

Quite where these guys are coming from, I don't know, but it never ceases to amaze and infuriate me. 

You posted in good faith for others to learn or to help you, so stick with your principles and just ignore those who try to denigrate you/your posts otherwise you will be fighting a losing battle and it can play on your mind.

PS. There are MANY good folk on here who are keen to help in many ways, so keep that in mind.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

I have bank accounts with the Yellow Bank, Green Bank, G H Bank, and Bangkok Bank, with a debit card.  Had no problems opening any of them--just needed my passport and I think one may have asked for my yellow book..  Might have helped that I had my Thai partner with me when I opened the accounts.  These were all opened in Pattaya.  I am on retirement visa.

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Odd. I have three accounts here and had no problem opening any of them. I am on a retirement visa. All they wanted each time was to see my passport and done in a matter of 20 minutes each time.

I think if you have too many documents, especially some in English they cant understand, they say No, rather than admit they can't read it. Keep it really simple and it seems to work.

Only in Thailand can you have  many IO have their own interpretations to the rules pertaining to visa entry and requirements . Same with banks!

I had to get a guarantor ,my GF's uncle who worked for the government. I went to several Bangkok Banks they were adamant about this up in Issan .Kasiakorn not so much,it was easy. I needed BK Bank because of the New York branch transfers.It's not easy .I think we all want to follow the rules and do the right thing,but sometimes you want to scream...

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have been on ThaiVisa since 2005 and on another forum before that and It has never ceased to amaze me how some people seem intent on denigrating some posters, or look to interpret their posts in an entirely different/obtuse way.

Just recently I posted that my ex g/f was working in a hotel as an accountant when we first met, and a few posts suggested I was lying and one even suggesting she probably worked in a bar......etc etc and was a liar!!! 

Quite where these guys are coming from, I don't know, but it never ceases to amaze and infuriate me. 

You posted in good faith for others to learn or to help you, so stick with your principles and just ignore those who try to denigrate you/your posts otherwise you will be fighting a losing battle and it can play on your mind.

PS. There are MANY good folk on here who are keen to help in many ways, so keep that in mind.

Sorry, I am not trying to start something with you.

I get your feelings but in reality, you getting infuriated or letting this site play on your mind is more your issue.

It is an anonymous site with many types of people and personalities.

No one truly knows you and in many cases people get brave on key boards. So, I would suggest not let it at all ruin someones day.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The tourist visa is I think the root of your problem.

I'm not sure it has ever been possible to open a bank account with one.

Those of us with non-O visas or b visas and one year extensions of stay, have nto usually had much difficulty.

As far as I am aware (unless there were changes in the last few months), any foreigner can open a Thai Bangkok Bank account on a tourist visa with a government official as a referee (police, army, teacher, nurse etc etc). I had no difficulties opening an account with Bangkok Bank on a tourist visa (putting in the minimum amount to create the account). 

When at the bank not long ago a farang was having troubles. The Mrs told his wife the process and the bank teller (Bangkok Bank) said that would work. 

*One experience was a Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok, the other in Chaiyaphum (Issan). 

**Edit: Krungthai bank required me to have a work permit, regardless if I had a official as a referee or a marriage visa. Not sure if that is a branch policy though. 

Edited by wildewillie89

That seems strange. I've never heard of anyone with any long-term visa having problems opening a savings bank account.
He is not on a long term visa. Just a tourist visa. AfAIK it has always been problematic opening a bank acct with only a tourist visa (though some people report success in some locations).

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, riclag said:

Only in Thailand can you have  many IO have their own interpretations to the rules pertaining to visa entry and requirements . Same with banks!

Never a truer word spoken...…..or written!!

Totally different to my experiences!

Banks were all willing to accept me, I asked at 3, but went with Kasikorn in the end as it has the closest branch and my wife banks with them so it's easy to transfer money to her account using their app.

At the marriage the boss of the Amphoe was soo pleased that I wore a shirt and tie that he insisted on having photos taken of us with all of the staff in the office!! Pretty sure the photos will be on the office wall now!

Edited by AaronC76

21 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Well I feel bad that people think I am complaining and should just bugger off out of Thailand. I just wanted to report a real, up to date experience to hopefully help others rather than offering advice and experiences from 10+ years ago when things were definitely different.

Yes, but you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that you and your experience applies to all farang., which is obviously not the case.

Big changes in Thailand for farangs

Possibly you, your circumstances and your approach to people (rather than just the fact that you're a farang,) are what weighed against you. 

My experiences dealing with officialdom are from 20 years ago, 10 years ago and last week. I was a farang in each time period.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

I had an odd request at SCB yesterday, a bank I've had an account at for 12 years. I asked for a new debit card with a chip and pin option, which was no problem; 100 baht and it was in my hand in ten minutes.

But after signing my passport copy the girl stated that I needed to enter a UK address! 

"But I've been living in Phuket for 12 years."

"If you have British passport you need British address."

"Why"

"All foreigners have to give foreign address"

I didn't say any more, just put my parents' address on the form, confirmed that any statement will still contain my Thai address and that was it.

Anyone else come across this?  

Last year I too had this problem with the SCB in Phayao. When they were filling out the form on the computer it required an Australian address. I do not have one and told them that. They said the computer required an address in my home country.

I am still using my cracked card.  

i come each year for 3 months and i saw a few posts about people on setv getting bank accounts so on a quick trip over to ubon  i thought i might try there. I went to 3 banks with a thai friend just in case i needed some quick talking wheeling and dealing and all 3 said no.. need work permit... maybe next time i will try in bangkok......maybe i wont ? actually i know i wont ? its too serious....i am curious as to why it is such a big deal, money in the bank is money in the bank? or does having a  peace of paper  suddenly make me special??... thats not fair i want to be special too...?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry, I am not trying to start something with you.

I get your feelings but in reality, you getting infuriated or letting this site play on your mind is more your issue.

It is an anonymous site with many types of people and personalities.

No one truly knows you and in many cases people get brave on key boards. So, I would suggest not let it at all ruin someones day.

Fair comment...……..however I stand by my stance that people who don't know me, calling me a liar or insulting a near/dear one is not on, AND it doesn't ruin my day cos I know they are just idiots.

Please also consider that there is a huge outcry about insults/shaming people on social media and the damage that it can and does cause, and the blame is being laid fairly and squarely at the feet of those shamers……..not with the recipient.

No more posts from me on this as I was just sympathising with a poster.

And it is off topic!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Bullshit about refusing to register marriages, but many Amphurs are sending the documents back to MFA to verify that they are legit, before issuing marriage certificate. My experience in Ban Lamung, waiting 20 days now.

Is that a recently new requirement now?

• Like 1

I have several bank accounts here, and while some are better than others, I usually get them without much hassle.  Bangkok Bank should be avoided, but it's what my employer uses.  I also have Kasikorn ATM and credit card accounts, a Krung Thai Bank savings account I opened ages ago when I was just a tourist.  Oh, and my mortgage is through UOB, so that makes four banks.  And I live in Bangkok and have a Thai wife.  Why on earth are you having so much trouble?

no way to know for sure, but i have a feeling people who have trouble opening an account are more inclined to post about their experience online than those that successfully open an account.  so we hear alot more about bad experiences than good one's.  and not everyone is a member of thaivisa, i lived in thailand for 10 yrs before i even knew about this site.  it has been a great resource for me on many topics so very glad i discovered it when i was looking for info on retirement visas (which led me to info on bank accounts).

“Odd. I have three accounts here and had no problem opening any of them.”

opening bank accounts for a retired for extension of stay is no problem. What immigration don’t like much is under 50 of age who want to stay in Thailand by getting married to Thai without any solid proof of income.

They offer Elite visa for those who show-off their money. Get one if you really have money that you claim. Otherwise come back when you turn to 50. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Bullshit about refusing to register marriages, but many Amphurs are sending the documents back to MFA to verify that they are legit, before issuing marriage certificate.

Not sure what the MFA would have to do with it. They only verify the translation of the affirmation of permit to marry.

The only ministry that would be involved in it would be the Interior Ministry.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Odd. I have three accounts here and had no problem opening any of them. I am on a retirement visa. All they wanted each time was to see my passport and done in a matter of 20 minutes each time.

I think if you have too many documents, especially some in English they cant understand, they say No, rather than admit they can't read it. Keep it really simple and it seems to work.

Agreed keep it simple and don't get flustered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have a work permit, I can't think of any legal prohibition on opening a bank account in Thailand.  Banks sometimes have other (internal) requirements on top of the legal requirements.  There are also compliance burdens with citizens of some countries that a Thai bank may want to avoid. 

There is supposedly a Bank of Thailand requirement stating that foreigners must have a valid work permit to open a bank account, but this obviously conflicts with the rules on retirement visas.  Hence, I have been told, some bank branches that are in areas heavily populated with foreigners don't require work permits and the Bank of Thailand looks the other way.  Its a face saving measure to avoid admitting that Thai laws and regulations conflict with each other.

Edited by Horace