Doing a runner

So guys I don't know the Thai law about divorce but as you all know Thai guys intent

to do a runner when fronted with pregnancy of they're wife's or child support.

I have a good friend I met many months ago and I do really like her and I would like

her to join me in Australia but the problem is her husband dumped her and left her

looking after a year old kid now that was 9 years ago well the kid is ten now

she is still married to him and she does not know were he lives so what can she do?

Can she get divorced in his absence or does he have to be present for her to

get a divorce don't know where they got married but I can find out

Any advice I appreciate  

you'll probably never find out if one of her extended family visitors might really be him? 

Abandonment will be the avenue to explore, for any Divorce actions...

But, were they 'really' married? did you see documentation? or was it just in front of the Monk?

Many somchai get girl pregnant, then shack up, make believe they are married, to save face

If you do get hitched, and decide to bring the kid, then if the dad is  not located

- the catch22 of not getting his permission for the kid to travel, might by your real problem

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply

No I did not see any documentation so far but just let assume they are

legally married and not just in front of a monk has she got any rights

to get divorced with his absence and no she lives alone with her daughter

in a very small place no family members apart from her mom who lives

not far away the two work together the mom cooks and she sells it.

You know street food, and I know she lives alone I see her every night on

cam and the daughter as well they share 1 bed so I am sure there is no

one else involved

Does your gf not know if she was legally married then?

Anyway assuming they were then she can sue for abandonment as its over three years since he has been gone. But this needs to go through the courts and therefore needs a lawyer etc.

HL

• Like 2

One other point to mention is the mother  if she is supporting her as well then she enters into the equation as your Gf is not going to want to leave her.

Also how good is the son's English moving him to anew country an language as well as school will be dofficult

May I politely ask, as your countries Embassy will undoubtedly also want to do.. what exactly is your relationship with this good friend? You say you want your countrys Embassy to allow her and her child to join you in Australia, so they will want to know.  Several other posters have offered good straightforward advice about a divorce but have you considered the next steps...?

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2018 at 10:32 PM, White Christmas13 said:

but the problem is her husband dumped her and left her

looking after a year old kid now that was 9 years ago well the kid is ten now

Have you seen her marriage certificate?

Have you seen her 'Kor Saw 2' from the Amphur office (she just needs her ID card to buy one and will show her current marital status)?

You can't do anything before you've checked she is actually married.

(Women often lie about such things)

On 6/18/2018 at 11:14 PM, faraday said:

Go to the Amphur where she got married, & get a copy of the documents - to see if she was legally wed.

Any Amphur can provide the documents, she just needs to show her ID card, and stuff her finger in their fingerprint scanner.

30bht for Kor Saw song.

If she can't produce the documents for you to see, I would suggest she is being 'dishonest'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not relevant, a ten year old can learn a new language in a new country in less than a year.

No special tuition needed, you just dump them straight in a normal Oz school.

I agree, its more like that mom will have a harder time adjusting. I've seen many thais who marry foreigners end up returning back to Thailand, they can't get use to the western way of life.

Your being conned he’s probably still about, but obviously not when you’re there. They do it all the time he’ll be enjoying any financial assistance you are giving her, ie. booze, fags motorbike etc. Don’t be a mug get on your bike.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...assume nothing....

...if you ask for advice.....and don't listen to it...why bother...???

...for whatever reason...you choose to ignore the obvious....

...this land is unforgiving....and many foreigners have learned the hard way...at great cost...

...generally....'emotions' they may 'express'....are just feigned....we fill in the rest with our imagination...

....Thais know that...we don't....

...they are in it for the ....pay dirt at the end of it all...and all the perks and bonuses along the way...

...that is their objective...

...sorry but that is how it has been explained to me by sympathetic Thais...

Was that how it was explained... or did you just fill it in with your imagination?

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

You`re living a pipe dream and aiming for something you are unlikely to achieve.

I very doubt doubt this woman would leave her child in Thailand to come and live with you in Australia. You would have to visit Thailand and officially marry this woman and adopt her child. Then you would have to apply for an Australian visa for her and the child. To accomplish a visa you would have to prove you have suitable accommodation in Australia and working in a secure full time job earning whatever earning amounts the Australian foreign office requires you to have, probably also require to have a certain amount of savings.

As for her getting a divorce, this will need the services of a lawyer in Thailand. If judging by averages I guess this Thai woman does not have enough funds to pay for lawyers fees, which means you would have to fund her divorce. either by going to Thailand yourself and supervising the divorce or sending her money from Australia based on trust.

So if you think it`s just a matter of her getting a quicky automatic divorce and then all she needs to do is fly over to Australia and join you there, I`d think again if I were you. It`s really not that simple.

A lot of the information that you have stated is incorrect. The highlighted and underlined area is incorrect information. I did 3 visitor visa's (subclass 600) plus a permanent resident visa (subclass 309 (provisional)(temporary) and subclass 100 (migrant)(permanent)) for my Thai wife and I did not have to supply that information to Australian Immigration as  my wifes sponsor. What my wife was required to supply in the application was a Thai police criminal record certificate plus a Thai medical certificate plus her daughter who was not migrating to Australia with her mother also had to have a police criminal record check and a medical check as well. Also if the OP gets his g/f to Australia on a visitor visa (subclass 600) which is valid for 3 months he can apply after 2 months for a partner visa (subclass 820 (temporary) which is followed by a the partner visa (subclass 801 (permanent)) 2 years after the application and a bridging visa is automatically issued while waiting for the decision. However with the partner visa application the applicant must be in the country of application when the decision is made. The subclass 309 and 100 are for applications outside Australia and the subclass 801 and 820 along with the bridging visa are for applications inside Australia.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mike324 said:

I agree, its more like that mom will have a harder time adjusting. I've seen many thais who marry foreigners end up returning back to Thailand, they can't get use to the western way of life.

I think that’s a generalization and could apply to anyone moving to a new country.

I have come across many Thai people in Australia  who have lived there  for years

My Thai wife had several friends who were happy living in Sydney

Maybe Australia is different and the people more welcoming certainly the climate is better than many parts of the world.

9 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...assume nothing....

...if you ask for advice.....and don't listen to it...why bother...???

...for whatever reason...you choose to ignore the obvious....

...this land is unforgiving....and many foreigners have learned the hard way...at great cost...

...generally....'emotions' they may 'express'....are just feigned....we fill in the rest with our imagination...

....Thais know that...we don't....

...they are in it for the ....pay dirt at the end of it all...and all the perks and bonuses along the way...

...that is their objective...

...sorry but that is how it has been explained to me by sympathetic Thais...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7y89t-ChFo

I dont understand the problem... Make her scan the marriage document(s) from the amphur. Easy as chips..

And she can of course divorce in his absence.. If she was never married at the amphur she is not legally married and only the kid can complicate her moving.. I think the father(if he wants.. ) have to sign. It is common sense OP in Thailand these things... IF she doesnt know about this... RUN.

You need to see if she has the marriage certificate as they don't keep copies.

If there is no marriage certificate, then she is not married.

If you know she is the one for you and you want to support her and her kid in OZ, get her a VISA.

No one will come looking for whether she is married or not in OZ.

The marriage certificate is the only proof of marriage. without it you are in the clear.

On 6/26/2018 at 4:15 PM, bwpage3 said:

You need to see if she has the marriage certificate as they don't keep copies.

If there is no marriage certificate, then she is not married.

If you know she is the one for you and you want to support her and her kid in OZ, get her a VISA.

No one will come looking for whether she is married or not in OZ.

The marriage certificate is the only proof of marriage. without it you are in the clear.

Well.. I understand your point.., but you are of course registered in the computer system for that also.. The same way when you divorce they update that same file.

People loose their papers everyday.. like blue or green books as well.. 

You go and report it stolen, forgotten or lost and go through the rules and they print you another one with the result of the old book, marriage paper og carbook tambien ban or whatever is Void. 

Of course it is like this. ?

On 6/30/2018 at 4:38 AM, paahlman said:

Well.. I understand your point.., but you are of course registered in the computer system for that also.. The same way when you divorce they update that same file.

People loose their papers everyday.. like blue or green books as well.. 

You go and report it stolen, forgotten or lost and go through the rules and they print you another one with the result of the old book, marriage paper og carbook tambien ban or whatever is Void. 

Of course it is like this. ?

I disagree with this. When you get your marriage certificate, you are flat out told NOT to lose it because it cannot be replaced.

4 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I disagree with this. When you get your marriage certificate, you are flat out told NOT to lose it because it cannot be replaced.

Actually this is correct, they will not replace the official certificate if lost, but they will issue a copy from their files, which does the job but not so fancy.

HL