For those raising/raised children in thailand - School trips

Rc2702

I know is about school trips but lots of kids in our village have minibuses driven by village locals who do it as a job to take kids to schools outside village everyday.

Many just jump on a song-tell.

1 hour ago, MrJohnson said:

Yes, and it terrifies me every time. Our kid's school uses Montri bus company. All vans and buses equipped with seat belts,drivers drug and alcohol tested (apparently) but it is all the other idiots on the road that terrify me.

If it terrifies you why let them go ?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

All the school buses are mini buses.

Not where we are.

What about students being dropped of my m/c or Fortuna's. ?

Edited by Kwasaki

The School trips by Mini Van are essentially the only way your children will get to experience the things that the other children partake in.

Would you deny your child the right to grow up in the company of their friends, and not be outcast by their peers because their parents did not like the mini van transportation provided.

I certainly would not, as experience is a very valuable tool for a child.

And yes , I worry - A Lot when my child goes on these vans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The School trips by Mini Van are essentially the only way your children will get to experience the things that the other children partake in.

Would you deny your child the right to grow up in the company of their friends, and not be outcast by their peers because their parents did not like the mini van transportation provided.

This is the dilemma I'm guessing.

I just do not like the idea of children being transported on roads which are so dangerous and the steps we have taken to safeguard the child with child seats cannot be replicated by the schools.

Our child is not yet 2 so I'm not even sure when school trips start playing a part in his life ir how frequent these can be?

School trips will usually start at age about 5 years, and then only maybe 1 or 2 a year 

Obviously this will depend upon which School the child will be attending, and maybe you should voice your concerns / raise the issue before enrolment.

• Like 1

My son's school has 4 privately owned Toyota vans for pickup, school trips, etc.

They are all 2 years old or newer, good tires,(I check) 

The american teachers that ride in it say the drivers if anything are too conservative, which I like.

I've seen them drive when I pick my son up and they are all good responsible drivers.

So he does go on the school outing, he wouldn't if I didn't trust them.

Private school BTW

11 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

My son's school has 4 privately owned Toyota vans for pickup, school trips, etc.

They are all 2 years old or newer, good tires,(I check) 

The american teachers that ride in it say the drivers if anything are too conservative, which I like.

I've seen them drive when I pick my son up and they are all good responsible drivers.

So he does go on the school outing, he wouldn't if I didn't trust them.

Private school BTW

Sounds like a good situation and probably OK - anything less and I would not even consider letting my kids go in an unsafe situation - even though our school is similar to the above post I drive the kids to school daily and only let the kids go on the occasional field trip. For sports events again I will drive.

Nothing is more important than the safety of children - end of story...

Edited by TravelerEastWest
  • Like 1

I take my son on regular trips to zoo's and other places of interest, along with a few of his friends from school. Then he sometimes goes with one of the other parents and their kids, this way you have a smaller group to look after, you know what your teaching them is absolutely correct, they are still gaining social skills and you know they are with a safe driver whom you know personally.

School trips have no benefit, really they are just another way for the school to make money. Remember, a school is a business just like any other..

Very good subject as we want to know transportation method upfront, if minibus is the choice they will refrain from the trip, big buses only.

Well known within school management as we pointed out upfront why we don't want our kids being picked up by school mini bus but our own car.

Drivers have improved over the years but their driving skills are still beneath safety standards....Talk before you make a choice for your kids.

I have used the same minibus company for years, one of our near neighbours in my village run a company with a few buses travelling each day on the 300K route to Bangkok.

I have never had any issues with any of the drivers and how they drive.

Regular posters to Thaivisa will  be aware of my attitude to Thai drivers and motorbike riders, but there are some companies who don't use drugged up reckless minibus drivers.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

We have 4 kids, ages range from 4 to 14, they all go to school which is a 25 kilometre journey on single country roads, they are chauffeur driven by either their mum or dad every single day, unpaid chauffeurs that is 555

Under no circumstances will the kids go on a minivan (death trap), when the kids go on an excursion, my wife will enquire with the school as to the means of transportation, and if they say, it will be a coach, that's fine, but it also depends on how long the journey will be, as it won't be the first time we have driven them to their destination and made it a day out for the family as well.

If you feel uncomfortable about your child's future travel arrangements, then plan ahead, and say NO, regardless of what others think.

You are the responsible parent and your child's interest/life is in your hands, don't allow another to bring potential harm to them, its not about wrapping them up in cotton wool, but I reckon our kids would stand a better chance in our car with seat belts and air bags on impact, then in a mini-van, songthaew or coach, that's our stance on the matter anyway.

My Thai son would never allow his 3 kids to be on any size buses on school trips.

He checks all the arrangements then drives his kids himself and goes back to pick them up when trip is all finished. and luckily he's got flexibility in his own working situation to allow for this. Also he checks the accommodation (if it's overnight), what kids sleep where how many teachers will sleep in each room etc., and he's probably booked himself into the same venue. And he get up and walks around the vene, checking if things look OK, doors are locked a couple of times during the night. Also monits what food is being served.

Why? Son's first kid at kinder in Bkk, school organizes trip, 50 kinder kids to underwater attraction at Siam Paragon, about 5 kilometres from the school. Single level bus bus all arranged and signed, bus company to provide 5 adults to watch the kids, help them (kinder age) to get on the bus, get seated, remain seated etc.

Bus arrives 1 hour late late on the opposite side of Petchaburi Road just outside Indo. Embassy. It's a double decker bus, no attendants just the bus supervisor lady who calls the school tells them to make the kids walk across the road (amongst horrendous traffic).

School owner says no and say they will walk the kids down to the footbridge at Pantip Plaza. Bus lady says .'no, it will take too long, just get them to walk across the road'

School owner lady uses the Pantip Overpass and gets gets half of the kids to the bus. Bus supervisor says they want 5,000Baht more because the school is too slow to get the kids to the bus. Simultaneously school owner realizes that the drives is seriously drunk, smelling strongly of whisky, so she won't let the kids board the bus and she tells the bus supervisor to bring another bus tomorrow, must be single decker, must have attendants, must be parked on the other side of Petchaburi Road, must come at the correct time, driver must be sober.

Bus supervisor calls owner of the bus company who says yes but must pay all the fees agreed for the first bus right now, plus XXXXBaht, full amount for bus tomorrow.

Kinder owner refuses to pay, bus supervisor lady turns nasty, a teacher from the school calls the police who arrive quickly, are not really interested, but they tell the bus supervisor to move the bus away from the area, drunk driver now drives the empty bus away.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Yes, we all have to take chances in life with everything, if you are not prepared to do that then you may as well not bother getting up out of your bed in the morning.

If you can use geniune common sense, you should not have too much to worry about, whether it's being on the Thai roads in minibuses or riding your motorbike. 

We all know that nothing is guaranteed and we just have to accept this.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

We have 4 kids, ages range from 4 to 14, they all go to school which is a 25 kilometre journey on single country roads, they are chauffeur driven by either their mum or dad every single day, unpaid chauffeurs that is 555

Under no circumstances will the kids go on a minivan (death trap), when the kids go on an excursion, my wife will enquire with the school as to the means of transportation, and if they say, it will be a coach, that's fine, but it also depends on how long the journey will be, as it won't be the first time we have driven them to their destination and made it a day out for the family as well.

If you feel uncomfortable about your child's future travel arrangements, then plan ahead, and say NO, regardless of what others think.

You are the responsible parent and your child's interest/life is in your hands, don't allow another to bring potential harm to them, its not about wrapping them up in cotton wool, but I reckon our kids would stand a better chance in our car with seat belts and air bags on impact, then in a mini-van, songthaew or coach, that's our stance on the matter anyway.

Well said. My Thai son does the same, he drives his kids to the venue and home again.

The sister-in-law teaches at a private school in Korat. They only use the big coaches and will pay the police to drive in front.

Vans/buses are just the beginning of the troubles with Thai school trips. The trips are not at all beneficial (other than socially - just arrange a day out yourself with the kids friends). Trips are a means for the school to either make money, or get a day out. Teachers spend the day taking photos of themselves, no teaching or supervision occurs. 

As trips are usually things like going to the zoo, how hard is it to take your own kids there (even with a few of their friends). Or drive yourself behind the bus and tag along. I remember even back home parents would join the trip to help with supervision. 

A percentage of kids usually don't go anyway, so it isn't like your kid will be the only one who is missing out. Learning to cope with disappointment will probably be more beneficial (and obviously safer), than sending them on the trip on the school's terms.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

My Thai son would never allow his 3 kids to be on any size buses on school trips.

He checks all the arrangements then drives his kids himself and goes back to pick them up when trip is all finished. and luckily he's got flexibility in his own working situation to allow for this. Also he checks the accommodation (if it's overnight), what kids sleep where how many teachers will sleep in each room etc., and he's probably booked himself into the same venue. And he get up and walks around the vene, checking if things look OK, doors are locked a couple of times during the night. Also monits what food is being served.

Why? Son's first kid at kinder in Bkk, school organizes trip, 50 kinder kids to underwater attraction at Siam Paragon, about 5 kilometres from the school. Single level bus bus all arranged and signed, bus company to provide 5 adults to watch the kids, help them (kinder age) to get on the bus, get seated, remain seated etc.

Bus arrives 1 hour late late on the opposite side of Petchaburi Road just outside Indo. Embassy. It's a double decker bus, no attendants just the bus supervisor lady who calls the school tells them to make the kids walk across the road (amongst horrendous traffic).

School owner says no and say they will walk the kids down to the footbridge at Pantip Plaza. Bus lady says .'no, it will take too long, just get them to walk across the road'

School owner lady uses the Pantip Overpass and gets gets half of the kids to the bus. Bus supervisor says they want 5,000Baht more because the school is too slow to get the kids to the bus. Simultaneously school owner realizes that the drives is seriously drunk, smelling strongly of whisky, so she won't let the kids board the bus and she tells the bus supervisor to bring another bus tomorrow, must be single decker, must have attendants, must be parked on the other side of Petchaburi Road, must come at the correct time, driver must be sober.

Bus supervisor calls owner of the bus company who says yes but must pay all the fees agreed for the first bus right now, plus XXXXBaht, full amount for bus tomorrow.

Kinder owner refuses to pay, bus supervisor lady turns nasty, a teacher from the school calls the police who arrive quickly, are not really interested, but they tell the bus supervisor to move the bus away from the area, drunk driver now drives the empty bus away.

Almost unbelievable isn't it

• Like 1