Help Please Guys

11 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

What other hot/sunny locations do you recommend? I hear about Cambodia, Mexico, Panama, all places I don't care to visit. Getting a visa for Thailand as a retiree is still relatively easy.  For those who don't like long lines at Promenada in Chiang Mai, they can pay an agent.  In fact most visitors and expats in Thailand don't have any problems with immigration. Many posts here are from people with sudden problems, you don't hear from the thousands who do not. Of course some of the submissions are fanciful troll posts as well.  It is only here one reads of people with valid Elite Cards ending up on overstay. I know many people come to Suvarnabhumi airport almost every month on visa exempts, no issues or questions asked. They don't read ThaiVisa forums..  

As a US citizen I can tell you conclusively all one must do is make an appointment and pay the fee and one will have no problem getting an Affidavit of Income or Residence Certificate in a matter of minutes. So you are doing your part to contribute to conflicting advice and negativity. US consular staff at offices around the world are a charm to deal with. State Department is a very elite agency to get hired into. They are all highly educated. Most competent govt officials of any US agency I have ever dealt with.

I don;t recommend anywhere, I'm not a travel agent mate.  I suggest that you might contact a few more of your countrymen, because what they often write on this and other forums doesn't quite chime with what you are saying. Not that I really care as I'm not involved with your Embassy. 

1. the process of conversion tourist visa to non-o in jomtiem is made willfully difficult for agent use is being preferred.

2 the op can cut his time short for running around to obtain paperwork by simply depositing thb 800 k in his bkk account coz using the other methods requires far more efforts goin to bangkok etc....

wbr

roobaa01

• Like 1

Hi Kevin, ... make it easy for your first visa at Thai Immigration, get 800,000 into your Thai Bank Account first, it has to be in there for a minimum for 4 months. So I’d make sure you just do at least a few extra days on that. Get your Non-Immigrant O Visa from the Thai Embassy in London. I don’t know your location, you could check out their their Embassy address and requirements what they will need to issue you with a Non-Immigrant O Visa. When you arrive here you will receive a 90 day stamp upon entry into Thailand. Then 45 days before your 90 day Immigration stamp upon entry to Thailand expire you will then be allowed to extend by means of a Retirement Visa giving you a 365 day extension, ( you will still need to do 90 day reports ).  However this first immigration visit you will need to get a extension ( should your 800,000 bt in the savings bank account not of have reached the 4 month untouched length of time. 

So if your able to get a 60 day extension, then apply for your retirement visa with its 365 day extension stamp, as you should by then have had your 800,000 in a bank for that minimum 4 months. 

Trust the above makes sense, and as someone previously mentioned it takes out lots of hasstle to get official docmentation from The British Embassy, ( ... and the least they know the better ). 

Should you want to exit Thailand at anytime even before your first 90 day stamp is given at arrival you will need to get a single re-entry Permit, or if planning to exit more than once during the year, better off getting a Multiple

re-entry Permit. 

When you send your money money to your Thai bank fronthe UK always send the money in Sterling with all transfer fees paid in the UK. Once it hits your Thai bank account, it will automatically be transferred into Thai Baht, ( you’ll get a better exchange rate in Thailand than from those thieving banks in the UK). 

Edited by mindfulness
Needed to give more information.

1 hour ago, mindfulness said:

Hi Kevin, ... make it easy for your first visa at Thai Immigration, get 800,000 into your Thai Bank Account first, it has to be in there for a minimum for 4 months. So I’d make sure you just do at least a few extra days on that. Get your Non-Immigrant O Visa from the Thai Embassy in London. I don’t know your location, you could check out their their Embassy address and requirements what they will need to issue you with a Non-Immigrant O Visa. When you arrive here you will receive a 90 day stamp upon entry into Thailand. Then 45 days before your 90 day Immigration stamp upon entry to Thailand expire you will then be allowed to extend by means of a Retirement Visa giving you a 365 day extension, ( you will still need to do 90 day reports ).  However this first immigration visit you will need to get a extension ( should your 800,000 bt in the savings bank account not of have reached the 4 month untouched length of time. 

So if your able to get a 60 day extension, then apply for your retirement visa with its 365 day extension stamp, as you should by then have had your 800,000 in a bank for that minimum 4 months. 

Trust the above makes sense, and as someone previously mentioned it takes out lots of hasstle to get official docmentation from The British Embassy, ( ... and the least they know the better ). 

Should you want to exit Thailand at anytime even before your first 90 day stamp is given at arrival you will need to get a single re-entry Permit, or if planning to exit more than once during the year, better off getting a Multiple

re-entry Permit. 

When you send your money money to your Thai bank fronthe UK always send the money in Sterling with all transfer fees paid in the UK. Once it hits your Thai bank account, it will automatically be transferred into Thai Baht, ( you’ll get a better exchange rate in Thailand than from those thieving banks in the UK). 

Don't give information if you don't really know . The money in bank  800,000 baht has never had to be in the bank for 4 months, where did you get that figure?

If you are applying using 800,000 Baht+ to meet financial resources:

a. First (Initial) Application – Needs to show funds have been on deposit at least 2 months before applying.
b. Subsequent (renewal) Application – Needs to show funds have been on deposit for at least 3 months before applying.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I don;t recommend anywhere, I'm not a travel agent mate.  I suggest that you might contact a few more of your countrymen, because what they often write on this and other forums doesn't quite chime with what you are saying. Not that I really care as I'm not involved with your Embassy. 

Ok I am an American born and raised and have never had a problem getting an income affidavit from the US Embassy in Bangkok or any other form/letters . Proof of income was not even asked for even though I had documented proof. I make an appointment, arrive and usually out of there in 20---25 mins. Took maybe 5 mins longer for marriage paperwork.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 8:45 PM, Pilotman said:

Reading this and so many other posts, and conflicting advice,  people need not wonder why some just give up and go and live somewhere else, or never seriously consider Thailand, past doing an bit of research on the visa and stay process.  Three of my friends, previously planning to retire to Thailand have given up on this place and located  to other hot/sunny locations.  All have been welcomed in their new home countries with a very easy long term visa/stay process, that doesn't include jumping through ever changing and complex hoops just to stay and spend their retirement money.  Maybe one day Thailand will  wake up, buck up and try to accommodate retirees who bring wealth and investment into the country,  but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.  If it wasn't for my close family connections here,  and a promise made many years ago to a lady who has stood by me for that length of time, I wouldn't consider living here for a minute. 

Hey Pilot,

Would you care to expand on the info given, as in the names of these "other hot/sunny locations" that three of your friends have located to? I'm sure a lot of readers would be interested in alternatives!

Thanks

On 6/23/2018 at 6:45 AM, buick said:

would you mind giving the forum some details on your opening of the bank account ?  what year did you open it ? were you on a visa exempt entry (30 day) or a tourist visa when you opened it ?  would you mind disclosing the branch ? (i assume it is in/around pattaya).  and what did they require ?  as an example, i had to provide a copy of rental agreement (with cover letter from landlord) and i had to go to my embassy to get a paper saying my passport is real/not a fake. 

the bank account topic comes up often on the forum as it has become more difficult to open them in the last year or so.  it helps to know which bank (we know that already), the branch, requirements, etc...

Hello, sorry for late reply, I have been away for a few days. I simply walked into the branch on Soi Buakhao and asked what was the criteria for opening a bank account. He told me to come back with my passport, address of hotel I was staying in and 6700 baht (for insurance) It was done within 30 mins. I was on a 30 day tourist visa. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 11:58 AM, mindfulness said:

re-entry Permit. 

Many thanks for info

20 minutes ago, Kevinnyali said:

Hello, sorry for late reply, I have been away for a few days. I simply walked into the branch on Soi Buakhao and asked what was the criteria for opening a bank account. He told me to come back with my passport, address of hotel I was staying in and 6700 baht (for insurance) It was done within 30 mins. I was on a 30 day tourist visa. Hope this helps.

thanks for the response.  i was not online much last week either.  i think i also paid a fee to open one of my bank accounts, which included some kind of insurance.  i don't think it was 6700thb but that is well worth it to be able to open an account w/o hassles on what we call a 'visa exempt' entry (i don't think you really had a visa).  if you read this site regularly in the future you'll likely see a number of threads related to issues opening bank accounts.  some, like you, just walk in and get one and others go to a dozen and get shutout.  it is funny stuff.

good luck with changing over to the non imm O.  i did the same thing in bangkok last year.  immigration offices can vary on their level of service and such so i can't help much with pattaya/jomtien but plenty of good comments on the thread to help you.

40 minutes ago, buick said:

thanks for the response.  i was not online much last week either.  i think i also paid a fee to open one of my bank accounts, which included some kind of insurance.  i don't think it was 6700thb but that is well worth it to be able to open an account w/o hassles on what we call a 'visa exempt' entry (i don't think you really had a visa).  if you read this site regularly in the future you'll likely see a number of threads related to issues opening bank accounts.  some, like you, just walk in and get one and others go to a dozen and get shutout.  it is funny stuff.

good luck with changing over to the non imm O.  i did the same thing in bangkok last year.  immigration offices can vary on their level of service and such so i can't help much with pattaya/jomtien but plenty of good comments on the thread to help you.

Thanks for info

55 minutes ago, Kevinnyali said:

LOL, I did in fact receive insurance. 100,000 Baht for each visit to hospital.

Yes of course you got the insurance, but the guy who opened the bank account for you got a comission from the insurance company. If you had refused the insurance, opening the bank account would probably have been more difficult

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes of course you got the insurance, but the guy who opened the bank account for you got a comission from the insurance company. If you had refused the insurance, opening the bank account would probably have been more difficult

Of course LOL Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hello guys,

Hope each and everyone of you are well,

I'm sure I asked this question a good few months back but cant find the thread, I would appreciate any help,

I have today got my 30 day extension from Jomtien Immigration and having showed them all the paperwork I have I now need to get my rental and pension income from UK verified at I believe she said British Embassy. Can anyone run through the process for me ? Can anyone direct me as to where I have to go in Bangkok ? ( would probably get bus from Pattaya for day out) Is it done in one day or do I stay overnight and go back next day ?? 

Thanks fellas,

All stay safe,

Kevin.

2 minutes ago, Kevinnyali said:

have today got my 30 day extension from Jomtien Immigration and having showed them all the paperwork I have I now need to get my rental and pension income from UK verified at I believe she said British Embassy. Can anyone run through the process for me ?

You will apply for a income letter from the UK embassy by mail or email. Info here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 6:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes you can. But you will need at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day visa exempt entry (is not a visa) or the the 30 day extension of it. It would be best to get a single entry tourist visa that will allow a 60 day entry to give you more time.

2. At todays exchange rate you will only need about 130k baht (140k would be better) in the bank to reach the combined total with your annual income to reach 800k baht.

You will need to get a income letter from the UK embassy to prove your income. You apply for it by mail or email to the embassy. Info is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration To apply for the non immigrant visa you will need the signature on the income letter certified by the Consular Affairs Department in Bangkok.

3. The total time needed is less than 3 months if you have the money in the bank for 60 days. You should be able to have the extension done before November. You can get a single re-entry permit for 1000 baht or a multiple for 3800 after you have the extension done.

4. Yes and yes.

5. The fee for the visa is 2000 baht and the extension is 1900 baht. Plus the fee for the income letter and about 200 baht for the signature verification.

If you have 800000Baht in the Thai Bank there is no need to show any other income.The money deposited can be used for every day living expenses,it doesn't have to remain in the Bank but it has to be brought up to 800,000 B when you apply for an extension after one year..But as the Pound is only 42-43B/£ I wouldn't change it into Baht .Get a Pound Stirling Account the Bank will write you a letter  stating the value of the money in Baht in the account.This will cost one hundred Baht.(100B)

Edited by Percy P
Word missing

On 6/24/2018 at 10:37 AM, fvw53 said:

Paradise is in your heart.

I am living in Thailand since 1986 and I never had any problem...but of course I also did not cause problems

Yes bureacratic paperwork can be frustrating but I have repeated many times in this forum that if you compare with other countries between Afghanistan and Japan...Thailand is the easiest country to live for law abiding foreigners 

Cambodia, The Philippines and Malaysia - just in the region - all easy for long-term stays.  Vietnam too, for multi-year Tourist Visas, where there is no issue with border-bounces - but I have not explored their longer-stay options.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:45 AM, Pilotman said:

... Maybe one day Thailand will  wake up, buck up and try to accommodate retirees who bring wealth and investment into the country,  but I somehow doubt that will ever happen.  If it wasn't for my close family connections here,  and a promise made many years ago to a lady who has stood by me for that length of time, I wouldn't consider living here for a minute.  

I agree with your sentiments with what we have to deal with regards immigration, and also staying with a good lady.  I also had good luck with a lady here - and never planned to stay long before I met her.

But, having been here awhile, I would stay in Thailand only due to liking the culture and people, who are generally nothing like the bad-apples at immigration documented on this site.  It is very unfortunate that immigration is constantly trying to undercut Thai's economic interests, by driving self-funded foreign spenders out in various ways.

• Like 1