Bangkok Bank visa card exiring soon

Hi 

I am in Phuket soon, and noticed my Bangkok Bank visa card is expiring soon. 

I opened a Bangkok bank account in Chaing Mai a couple of years ago.

I have been to two branches, one in Siam, one in Khoa Lak. Both asked for my

” Bank book and passport” I don’t have my bank book. Is there a friendly Bangkok bank in 

Phuket that would renew my card ?

Thank for any advice.

Phil

I just renewed my BKKB debit card. And the branch wanted to see both my passport and bank book.

I thought I might have to obtain the new card only at my home branch. But found out, they're also willing to issue the replacement cards at other branches as well, at least, if the staff there are xxxholes.

Thanks for your comment

I didn’t realise I needed my Bankbook.

I left it in Australia.

I will just say I lost it and hope they accept this.

I get the impression that they are not really interested in 

helping out.

ok thanks I will see how I go. 

If you say it's lost they want a police report and would then issue a new book (no idea if they would do this at another branch than the "home" branch)

You should know that you won't get a Visa card from Bangkok Bank anymore, but a Union Pay card which is kinda limited. So you could also think about opening a bank account with another bank.

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

You should know that you won't get a Visa card from Bangkok Bank anymore, but a Union Pay card which is kinda limited.

I believe this is misinformation.  Whilst they are pushing the Union Pay cards very heavily, a Be1st Visa debit card is still available if you ask.

• Like 1

As already written: if you forgot the bankbook at your home country there is no other way than doing a police report about "having lost".

With this the bank (your branch!) will invalidate the old book and issue a new one.

(for a fee I guess?)

No card without passport plus bankbook!

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

I believe this is misinformation.  Whilst they are pushing the Union Pay cards very heavily, a Be1st Visa debit card is still available if you ask.

Even if he managed to somehow get a Visa card, this would not change too much because the card will stop working in 2019:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/B1stnewdefault.aspx

Please note:

If you have a Be1st Smart, Be1st Smart Rabbit, Be1st Smart Rabbit Siriraj or Be1st Debit card, you can still use your card until 2019

So then you will be forced to use Union Pay

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Even if he managed to somehow get a Visa card, this would not change too much because the card will stop working in 2019:

The do not issue the visa cards anymore. They were issuing them until the ran out of them which has already happened.

The November 2019 cutoff is only for using the card at ATM machines and at places that accept cards for payment. The card will remain valid for use online use until it expires.

• Like 1

Please note:

If you have a Be1st Smart, Be1st Smart Rabbit, Be1st Smart Rabbit Siriraj or Be1st Debit card, you can still use your card until 2019

So then you will be forced to use Union Pay

Please excuse me if I've misunderstood your tone (seeing the word 'forced,')  but what is it  about using this new card would be unpopular or undesirable?

Thanks

Edited by FolkGuitar

19 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Please excuse me if I've misunderstood your tone (seeing the word 'forced,')  but what is it  about using this new card would be unpopular or undesirable?

Thanks

At the moment, many places will not accept the Union cards for payment. I have also read that ATMs outside of SE Asia will not accept them either. Doubtless this will change with time but the fact that bank customers weren't given a choice is equivalent to being forced to use it.

I changed to Kasikorn bank which is still issuing Visa cards. I'm sure many others are doing this too.

Another reason I changed is that BB threw their eyes to the sky, begging Buddha to make this Farang go away for making such a complicated, unreasonable and exotic request. Kasikorn did it without hesitation.

Edited by cooked

12 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Thanks

"forced" because they don't give you a choice ?

The undesireable part is the acceptance of Union Pay. Every shop which offers card payment accepts Visa and Mastercard, but only a few of them accept Union Pay.

I don't know if all ATMs in Thailand accept Union Pay, but maybe not, so if you are ever in a more remote place in Thailand and there is only one ATM and it doesn't accept your Union Pay card...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The do not issue the visa cards anymore. They were issuing them until the ran out of them which has already happened.

The November 2019 cutoff is only for using the card at ATM machines and at places that accept cards for payment. The card will remain valid for use online use until it expires.

I thought the cut off date was 31 Dec 2018.

8 minutes ago, pontious said:

I thought the cut off date was 31 Dec 2018.

That is the date you can change cards for free.

From their website.

"Magnetic stripe cards can still be used until 2019. Magnetic stripe cardholders can change their cards to the chip card free of charge."

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

There is a new card/replacement card issue chipped version of BKKB's Be1st debit card that will remain usable into and beyond 2019.

You are correct that BKKB is pushing the Union Pay cards heavily, and many BKKB branches/staff will tell you that Union Pay is all they have, and the Be1st VISA debit cards are no more.

However, the Be1st VISA cards with chips do still exist for new card/replacement card issuance, in VERY limited form. Trying to find some BKKB staff/branch who are willing to give you one, or even admit they still exist, is the challenge.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

However, the Be1st VISA cards with chips do still exist for new card/replacement card issuance, in VERY limited form. Trying to find some BKKB staff/branch who are willing to give you one, or even admit they still exist, is the challenge.

About 1 week ago i was in bkk at bangkok bank to cash money at atm (Silom branch) and i saw one brochure about a visa rabbit debit card.

I went to the staff at the entrance and asked her if the visa rabbit card is available and she confirmed yes it is and i can replace my old visa card if i want.

But i did not asked them to replace my old visa card since it is still valid, my branch is in phuket and i opened an UOB bank account already with visa, internet banking, fixed deposit which will be my replacement for bangkok bank in near future.

• Like 1

Thank you, Cooked and Jackdd for your explanations. I appreciate them.

I wonder if this Union Card will be the front runner for the cards in use in Japan and in Hong Kong?

In both countries you can virtually do away with carrying money as almost EVERYTHING can be paid by simply passing your card over a scanner; from purchases at supermarkets, convenience stores, public transportation, restaurants, bars, grocery stores, taxis, buses, department stores, even vending machines, train station lockers, photo booths, and now even many mom&pop shops. These cards speed up and eliminate long lines at ticket booths, speed up (and make more accurate!) payment at convenience stores, etc., etc.  While it's true at the beginning these weren't accepted outside of the countries, that is being addressed now.

8 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I really can't understand why Bangkok Bank has made such a seemingly moronic move.

Union Pay is most likely cheaper for Bangkok Bank, and that's the main reason.

Other than that, for Thais it's very easy to get a credit card, so they usually have one or multiple already and just use this when they want to pay something. And actually many Thais don't even know that they can use their debit card to make payments, they think a debit card is only for the ATM and to pay you would need a credit card, so they won't even notice a change.

The number of people who have difficulties to get a credit card in Thailand and rely an their debit card to make payments is probably a very small percentage (foreigners who live but don't work in Thailand).

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Other than that, for Thais it's very easy to get a credit card, so they usually have one or multiple already and just use this when they want to pay something. And actually many Thais don't even know that they can use their debit card to make payments, they think a debit card is only for the ATM and to pay you would need a credit card, so they won't even notice a change.

The number of people who have difficulties to get a credit card in Thailand and rely an their debit card to make payments is probably a very small percentage (foreigners who live but don't work in Thailand).

There are far more debit cards issued in Thailand than credit cards.  From the Bank of Thailand:

Credit card - 20,334,780
Debit card - 53,071,782

ATM card - 8,758,043

Source:  http://www2.bot.or.th/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=685&language=ENG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 7:14 AM, KhunBENQ said:

As already written: if you forgot the bankbook at your home country there is no other way than doing a police report about "having lost".

With this the bank (your branch!) will invalidate the old book and issue a new one.

(for a fee I guess?)

No card without passport plus bankbook!

On 6/22/2018 at 6:11 AM, Oxx said:

On 6/21/2018 at 3:32 PM, jackdd said:

If you say it's lost they want a police report and would then issue a new book (no idea if they would do this at another branch than the "home" branch)

You should know that you won't get a Visa card from Bangkok Bank anymore, but a Union Pay card which is kinda limited. So you could also think about opening a bank account with another bank.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:24 AM, JoePai said:

If bank book lost then you should get a Police Report

On 6/21/2018 at 11:24 AM, JoePai said:

If bank book lost then you should get a Police Report

Agree.

Can you get someone at home to quickly put your bankbook in the mail? EMS post gets here pretty quickly, 3 - 4 days.

I'm just wondering, if the bank readily / easily gave you a replacement bankbook and visa card, would you be on TV complaining about lack of security on the part of your bank?

Edited by scorecard

An ATM at a 7 Eleven had just eaten my BB Visa card when somebody was typing the wrong PIN three times. In such cases, they usually cut the card in pieces by a team that tops up the ATM's. It was really difficult to get my card back. 

They do not issue the BB visa card anymore because of the policy of a Chinese company who bought 50 % of BB.

You won't get a new Visa card and I'd try to find another bank where they still issue a visa card.

Each time when I withdraw money, the message pops up that I can have that card for free, but my banker told me that the card is in no way what I want.

I need a card that I can use worldwide and pay online. Their new card seems to sukc a bit. 

I'll use my card for as long as possible then change the bank.

43 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

They do not issue the BB visa card anymore because of the policy of a Chinese company who bought 50 % of BB.

Do you even bother to check your facts before you post?

There is no Chinese company that "bought 50%".  That's utter canine rowlocks.

List of BBL shareholders at https://www.set.or.th/set/companyholder.do?symbol=BBL&ssoPageId=6&language=en&country=US

Still, don't let the fact stop you posting racist tosh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Do you even bother to check your facts before you post?

There is no Chinese company that "bought 50%".  That's utter canine rowlocks.

List of BBL shareholders at https://www.set.or.th/set/companyholder.do?symbol=BBL&ssoPageId=6&language=en&country=US

Still, don't let the fact stop you posting racist tosh.

This is what the banker at BB where I've got my account has told me, not my own opinion. Racist? No idea where you've read that. Accusing me of being a racist is strange. 

Edited by jenny2017

40 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

This is what the banker at BB where I've got my account has told me, not my own opinion. Racist? No idea where you've read that. Accusing me of being a racist is strange. 

And you believe any old bilgewater that any random character tells you without bothering to check?

And as for "racist" even if what you'd posted was true, the reference to "Chinese company" would clearly be perceived as racist.  You could simply have written "foreign company".

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your comments. I opened the Bangkok bank account to simply reduce the cost of using ATMS that is all. I was happy with the Rabbit Visa card and with the option of using it also on the BTS. 

However, in Australia ING bank are offering a 100% refund of any ATM fee anywhere in the world if you deposit at least $1000 per month into your account. So I tried my Australian ING debit card in a SCB ATM Soi 8 Sukhumvit. I was charged 220BHT which is ($9)sure enough I was credited my ATM fee charge within 24hours. So this is another option for Aussies. 

Thanks once again for comments, this forum has really helped I will be back in Bangkok in December with my Bangkok bank book and I will see what is on offer. 

Edited by philcon
spelling error

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 11:42 AM, wgdanson said:

Get yourself a Transferwise (or similar) Borderless Debit card which you can load up with almost any currencies you want. Can use it in ATMs anywhere or online.

Ok thanks for this info, I have used Transferwise, I did not know they have a debit card. I did look at this option. However, the ATM fee from the Thai side is still charged. With ING Australian debit card the bank(ING) refund 100% of the ATM fee anywhere in the world. And there is no withdrawal limit. Citi Bank also have no ATM fee but their sole ATM is in Central World. So at this point ING are offering Australian clients a very good option. 

Edited by philcon