Friend in immigration detention centre

Need some information here please or directed to a thread that already contains it please.

I've got a friend who is being held for deportation for overstay of visa. Presently he has no access to money to pay the fine or buy a ticket himself. 

A group of friends are willing to pay this. Is the only way to do this through the British embassy or as we have people on the ground can they be bypassed as I hear they can take some time.

Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't see any mention of how long his overstay was.

If caught with one day of overstay a person can be detained, deported and be banned from entering the country,

By the way, detained and deported for one day overstay is scary, no one is immune to such an insignificant error as 24 hours for countless unintended reasons. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

wow...that's very harsh...and scary... to invest in a country that treats people like that.

most developed countries give overstayers a week or two to close their shop / other arrengemnts

before deportation.

my friend got caught working illegaly in australia. he had s shop and paid all his taxes, but

just forgot about that little thing called visa.

when immigration got him, they gave him two weeks before deportation, so he can prepare

for deportation. and of course no jail. Jail is a brutal punishment for just overstating.

R u sure? Border Security always show people getting locked up when they catch them working with no visa. Plus Australia is a big place to hide out in. 

9 minutes ago, tolsti said:

do try and keep up.... the OP has confirmed he will receive a 10 year ban... therefore he must have overstayed for more than 5 years. Read #10

If he surrendered 

If caught / arrested it was more then 1 yr

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

By the way, detained and deported for one day overstay is scary, no one is immune to such an insignificant error as 24 hours for countless unintended reasons. 

put it this way. the last time i overstayed i knew but i was too sick to go to the border and knew i'd be OK in a day or 2. hardly left the house and when i did was a bit paranoid. not a good idea getting caught on overstay here. the rules are very clear for everyone. right to be here from immo is the number one priority for being in thailand. get caught out and end up like the OPs mate. not a good place to be

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

What on earth has the British Embassy got to do with this? Have you ever dealt with the British embassy? Their consular services section is barely a skeleton service now. Law-abiding Brits are treated like nuisances at best and criminals at worst. Any paperwork attracts extortionate fees. I have no idea what criminal Brits are treated like but it won't be good. Are you even British? If the British Embassy can be bypassed, I say, "Go for it and don't pause for a moment," and so would the British Embassy!

What would you advise when it goes pear-shaped as is so often the case? 

'Plastic' lawyers make a mint off the backs of gullible ferangs; Money vanishes; THEY vanish; Promises are broken (ie punter remains banged up) & the Embassy then gets it in the neck as it is somehow their fault!

Edited by evadgib

38 minutes ago, evadgib said:

What would you advise when it goes pear-shaped as is so often the case? 

'Plastic' lawyers make a mint off the backs of gullible ferangs; Money vanishes; THEY vanish; Promises are broken (ie punter remains banged up) & the Embassy then gets it in the neck as it is somehow their fault!

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Somebody is locked up in IDC waiting for friends to get the money together for direct deportation flight home.

Nothing to do with the Embassy.

Nothing to do with lawyers, plastic or otherwise.

What are you on about??

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Somebody is locked up in IDC waiting for friends to get the money together for direct deportation flight home.

Nothing to do with the Embassy.

Nothing to do with lawyers, plastic or otherwise.

What are you on about??

Nothing more than an attempt to forewarn the unwary although I sometimes wonder why I bother ?

15 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

wow...that's very harsh...and scary... to invest in a country that treats people like that.

most developed countries give overstayers a week or two to close their shop / other arrengemnts

before deportation.

my friend got caught working illegaly in australia. he had s shop and paid all his taxes, but

just forgot about that little thing called visa.

when immigration got him, they gave him two weeks before deportation, so he can prepare

for deportation. and of course no jail. Jail is a brutal punishment for just overstating.

"a little thing called visa" It isn't a little thing, I doubt he "forgot" it.