Trying Not To Get Kicked Out

I got my tourist visa in LA(US citizen age 40) with 2 entries, came back in after 2 months and 1 month ext. by going to border and re-entering same day and got 2 months; in 2 months I will have to leave again and from what I read in this forum-I guess going to Cambodia-pnompenn and getting another tourist visa is out because apparently they will make me stay out for 90 days..

so I have a Thai GF that will marry me now if necessary and more than 400,000 in Thai bank .. so the question is-can I get married next week, present my docs at the us embassey and get it finalized officially, then when my time is up go to singapore and get a non-imm. and get back in, or will they make me stay out for 90 days anyways?

Edited by flanker

You can probally get a 1 year multiple entry non-immigrant-O visa in Signapore and immmediately return to Thailand with that visa. But I wouldn't get married in a hurry in order to get a visa. Arranging marriage also takes some time and you'll need to get some documents from your home country that need to be translated and stamped.

Edited by kriswillems

Cool down and delay the marriage. It is not required. You can go anywhere (except PP who do not like to issue any visas) and obtain a new tourist visa to cover another 3 months or you can just exit and return to use up to 90 days entry without visa. The 90 days out only applies after you are here for 90 days on entry without visa and only applies to another entry without visa. You could still enter again with a tourist visa.

You can probally get a 1 year multiple entry non-immigrant-O visa in Signapore and immmediately return to Thailand with that visa. But I wouldn't get married in a hurry in order to get a visa. Arranging marriage also takes some time and you'll need to get some documents from your home country that need to be translated and stamped.

O visa is not for married its for retired people!

you need a b visa as unless you can prove you have 40,000 baht a month wages it doesn't matter a flying fart if you are married to a Thai or not or not.

the new law does not require that you have 400 thousand in the bank, but does require a bank statement or wage slips plus work permit to prove you are making money.

i am married to a Thai person and cannot get anything else but a tourist visa as i dont have that kind of wage or a work permit.

also my wife is in switzerland right now and i cant even get my extension in Bangkok because she needs to be present with you when you make the application, so don't get married to her unless you really love her (and she loves you which is unlikely as all most thai ladies wish to do is use you to get out of here).

marriage won't help her any either as she needs you and that you are employed to be able to go and stay in the west too.

i worked in Germany for 2 years ans UK citizen paying tax and married my wife there.

when i became unemployed the German immigration wrote me after 3 months that i wasan't entitled to unemployment benefit because the new eec law states that you must work for 5 years and pay taxes to be entitled to unemployment benefits/social scurity.!!

When i went to the "Rathaus" (town hall) to ask what i can do they said i have one month to get another job or be deported.

when i asked where they intended tosend us, they replied "well you can go to England" when i told them that my wife wouldn't get a visa for UK due to the fact that UK wont issue her a visa (even though she is married to UK citizen), due to the fact that i would arrive homeless, unemployed and without collateral or employment; they replied that they would send my wife to Thailand and me to England!!!

this is proof that marriage to a Thai is more disadvantageous that advantageous...it's only useful if you have a legal job and 40,000 baht amonth wage to show...which will give oyu rights to one year visa even without a thai wife...so all you need to stay here forever in thailand is a jobv and a wage, not a wife.

regards spencer. :o

You can go to Malaysia, Singapore, Laos or Vietnam to obtain another tourist visa in the immediate area. You will not have a problem with entry but should have the normal proof of 20,000 baht equivalent that is required for entry (although seldom checked). Visa entry does not count against the 90 day stay rule.

Marriage can't hurt? And at age 40? You are aware that Thailand is a joint property state?

1st step for marriage is visit US Embassy and swear freedom to marry document. Next obtain Thai translation and have registered at Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Take registered copy with passport and wife with her paperwork to a District Office to register the marriage. You should have a translator (to advise you what exactly is written on the paper you sign) and two witness to sign paperwork. Witness can normally be from office and translator can be any person who speaks both languages (probably needs to be degree holder). That is it. You are now married. With that marriage certificate and proof of you bank account of 400k you should be able to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa if you do not intend to extend your stay on a yearly basis from Immigration using the 40k monthly income method.

Marriage really doesn't help you much when you want to stay in Thailand (if you don't have >40K income/month). Although you don't need to apply for a visa every 3 months, you still need to do the border runs.

And you still need to obtain a multiple entry non-immigrant-O visa every 15 month and getting this in Signapore or Malaysia is always becoming harder (signapore is now requiring 400K in a bank account for a multiple entry non-immigrant-O and Malaysia cancelled multiple entry visas in Penang).

If you've more than 40K family income marriage gives you a 1 year extention as long as your have this income. If you fall below 40K the borders runs and visa runs start again.

Married people, fathers with Thai children, it doen't make any difference, they all get a pretty hard time now.

The only group for whom it's really easy to get a 1 year extention are people older than 50, then only need 800K on their own bank account and don't need to be married and even don't need an income.

Edited by kriswillems

...so all you need to stay here forever in thailand is a jobv and a wage, not a wife.

Since 10/2006: absolutely true.

And, I will add: not a child.

(I have both :-( Both are "useless" visa-wise...)

You can get yearly extension of stay on the basis of employment with a 50,000/m salary.

If your wife is not working, you need 40,000/m income for extension of stay on the basis of marriage.

(And there are indications that income, for farang, only means some sort of SALARY)

"Trying not to get kicked out" is the title of the post -- and the only advise here is (and can only be) TOURIST visa......

How can anybody plan his life on the basis of indefinite border runs and visa runs??

I know. Many did exactly this for years and decades before 10/2006.

Some were "lazy", maybe.

But many had no other choice (below 50, no work, no Thai spouse, no Thai child).

Since 01/10/2006, those who have no other choice are clearly more numerous! (below 50, no work, WITH or without Thai spouse or/and Thai child).

But NOTE. Since 10/2006, a rich Thai wife can be useful visa-wise.

So: If you are below 50, get a job or get a rich wife (or at least one who is paying taxes on an income of min. 40,000/m)

And for sure DON'T have children before marriage!

(The Thai immigration does not want to know about your income)

so howcome can you live in LOS with no income?

Kindly: it's a bit boring.

There are actually MANY people below 50 who can live in Thailand without salary or pension.

I am just one of these.

I do not have salary but I have income. More or less regular. From property + bank interests (+/- linked to stocks I don't manage BTW. It's in the hands of bankers and I get a %).

(I could not have a decent life in Belgium with this money BTW.+/- 60K/m)

O visa is not for married its for retired people!

you need a b visa as unless you can prove you have 40,000 baht a month wages it doesn't matter a flying fart if you are married to a Thai or not or not.

the new law does not require that you have 400 thousand in the bank, but does require a bank statement or wage slips plus work permit to prove you are making money.

i am married to a Thai person and cannot get anything else but a tourist visa as i dont have that kind of wage or a work permit.

also my wife is in switzerland right now and i cant even get my extension in Bangkok because she needs to be present with you when you make the application, so don't get married to her unless you really love her (and she loves you which is unlikely as all most thai ladies wish to do is use you to get out of here).

marriage won't help her any either as she needs you and that you are employed to be able to go and stay in the west too.

i worked in Germany for 2 years ans UK citizen paying tax and married my wife there.

when i became unemployed the German immigration wrote me after 3 months that i wasan't entitled to unemployment benefit because the new eec law states that you must work for 5 years and pay taxes to be entitled to unemployment benefits/social scurity.!!

When i went to the "Rathaus" (town hall) to ask what i can do they said i have one month to get another job or be deported.

when i asked where they intended tosend us, they replied "well you can go to England" when i told them that my wife wouldn't get a visa for UK due to the fact that UK wont issue her a visa (even though she is married to UK citizen), due to the fact that i would arrive homeless, unemployed and without collateral or employment; they replied that they would send my wife to Thailand and me to England!!!

this is proof that marriage to a Thai is more disadvantageous that advantageous...it's only useful if you have a legal job and 40,000 baht amonth wage to show...which will give oyu rights to one year visa even without a thai wife...so all you need to stay here forever in thailand is a jobv and a wage, not a wife.

regards spencer. :o

An O Visa IS for marriage as well as retirement.

Urrr, are you sure? Or was that a long time ago? If you'd been in regular employment you should have been paying unemployment insurance, which would have given you a few months regular unemployment benefits; whether or not you'd have got the catch-all social insurance is another question, but you should have at least received a 5-year residence permit. It's pretty hard to be chucked out as an EU citizen.

You are right though, as a British citizen it's far easier to live in Germany with a non-EU spouse than it is in the UK, at least as far as residence permits and stuff go.

if I can cut in once again, so when it's time for me to fly to Penang, Singapore, or Hanoi..can I go for the non-immigrant visa there..and if it fails just ask for another tourist, again i'm 40, got 400k in bank but less than 800, and i am currently on a tourist visa which was obtained in the US?

only reason i'm asking is don't wanna get rejected for the non-imm. and then get thrown out of the mebassey or red-stamped or whatever..with this type of thing ya never know, my gf once tried to get a visa to Germany and they stamped her book in red with a 'rejected' stamp!

if I can cut in once again, so when it's time for me to fly to Penang, Singapore, or Hanoi..can I go for the non-immigrant visa there..and if it fails just ask for another tourist, again i'm 40, got 400k in bank but less than 800, and i am currently on a tourist visa which was obtained in the US?

only reason i'm asking is don't wanna get rejected for the non-imm. and then get thrown out of the mebassey or red-stamped or whatever..with this type of thing ya never know, my gf once tried to get a visa to Germany and they stamped her book in red with a 'rejected' stamp!

You are no chance of a Non-O visa. Not even a glimmer of a lawful reason for the grant of one. Go the tourist visa route.