Well done! Kindergarten teachers taking positive steps to avert more car tragedies

webfact

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Funny you should comment about head count.

Yesterday at my wifes school, 1 small boy was missing at the head count, another boy told the teacher, i saw him a few minutes ago, so teachers /children everybody looking for him.

Wife jumps in the pickup goes to his home, little ++++ is missing, old granny says no hes not, his father has just taken him to Bangkok.

Now how bloody stupid is that?

This makes the whole argument of "why didn't the teachers notice the child was missing, why didn't they go looking for them?" pointless. There's probably multiple children per day that have been taken somewhere by their parents without telling anyone. If they dropped everything and went on a man hunt every time, they would never get any teaching done.

Once again, people demand first world services in a third world country.

10 hours ago, upu2 said:

Why not have a responsible adult in the vehicle with the children? I think we can all agree the drivers can not be considered responsible

Why not, in this scenario a small kid is entrusted to your care, you know full well that the small kid is not capable of fully taking care of him/herself, realizing what to do in the various scenarios that might come up and being proactive - the kid needs to be 'held by the hand' until he/she is delivered to the class room, the correct next staff member etc. 

Whatever happened to duty of care, adult responsibility...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

This makes the whole argument of "why didn't the teachers notice the child was missing, why didn't they go looking for them?" pointless. There's probably multiple children per day that have been taken somewhere by their parents without telling anyone. If they dropped everything and went on a man hunt every time, they would never get any teaching done.

Once again, people demand first world services in a third world country.

This case is different.

The respective teachers at the school my two granddaughters attend call the father and if no answer the mother, to ask if the child should be at school or whatever.

Edited by scorecard

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes I agree its crazy, but in the last case it was not a normal driver but an teacher not normal routine for him / her. Not excusing it but its a bit different from a professional driver. Anyway its bad that professional drivers forget kids.. its stupid and dangerous. But this is just an extra fail safe it will help. 

This "lesson" is also a lesson in problem solving. It teaches the children to think for themselves, something sadly lacking in the Thai educational system.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Funny you should comment about head count.

Yesterday at my wifes school, 1 small boy was missing at the head count, another boy told the teacher, i saw him a few minutes ago, so teachers /children everybody looking for him.

Wife jumps in the pickup goes to his home, little ++++ is missing, old granny says no hes not, his father has just taken him to Bangkok.

Now how bloody stupid is that?

Stupid !!! Colin, I deal with people like this everyday in the western world. They just fail to communicate just like this father failed to inform anybody (besides granny) that he was taking "little xxxx" to Bangkok.

• Like 1

Maybe a roll call or some common sense is in order. In Africa there are kindergartens where kids have to "check in" at a fingerprint reader which results in showing any (real) time, who is missing. 

Or possibly a revamping of the education system making all those "private" kindergartens, schools etc. obsolete. 

Wondering how many kids are left behind at shopping centres food courts .... 

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I understand. So the easier option is to simply remember not to lock a child in your car. 

Dear me you are still going on as if the teacher deliberately locked the poor child in the car.

It was an awful, tragic mistake that she will never forget, whilst you  and me will not give the incident

a moment's thought a week from now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Dear me you are still going on as if the teacher deliberately locked the poor child in the car.

It was an awful, tragic mistake that she will never forget, whilst you  and me will not give the incident

A very logical response.

1 hour ago, shy coconut said:

No, I never in the slightest implied the teacher deliberately locked the child in the car. I’m saying her actions were unforgivably reckless and stupid. 

If soceity can get this message across more, there’s less chance of it happening again. Which means society doesn’t have to worry as much and children can continue being children. 

Sure, you might forget in a week. But it will live with the parents of this child for the rest of their lives. Everyday they’ll be thinking “how could a teacher be so stupid and irresponsible as to leave a child locked im a hot car. A teacher!”. 

Mistakes happen in life, but this wasn’t a mistake. It’s gross negligence. That’s the message that needs to be sent out strongly so ‘adults’ can learn. 

Edited by rkidlad

On 6/22/2018 at 3:55 PM, jvs said:

So next time a child dies in a car because it is left behind it is their fault for not paying attention to this lesson?

I am sure it does some good but what about doing a headcount as soon as school start and if a child is not there call the parents asap.!!!

Basic safety education and practices are sadly lacking nationwide.

• Like 1