Sizzlers salad bar

Rc2702

I've eaten the salad there a few times. Found out the so called 'vegetarian soups' , even the cream of mushroom one, are made with f**king chicken stock. Albeit it is Sizzlers but surely they could get away from meat soup additives for Buddha's sake, e.g. add mushroom stock cubes?

I was also ill after one session - it painfully blocked me up for three days. I now go for a large plate of cheddar cheese, and a touch of chopped tomato/onion, a slice of red pepper, and a couple of green beans - and order the jacket potato. Very filling combo, washed down with topped up glasses of soda water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Isn't that the old price? Or have they put it down again recently?

Fish and chips in Sizzlers??????

Is this a new thing?

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, africasiaeuro said:

A friend of mine has been doing that for over 20 years. It started off with a 69 Baht tag, now it has reached 169 Baht. I am however of the opinion that sizzlers veggies are laden with pesticides, as I always feel very uncomfortable after consumption of their salads and greens.

I am however close to 100 % sure that there is no control over the use of pesticides with their suppliers. ( Roundup ? ).

( When eating greens here in Italy there are no symptoms ).

Sizzler s other options ( bread toasted with cheese ) can be missed. All other foods grilled and likewise aren't worth the money paid.

(Though Thais mostly love Sizzler and and crowd its restaurants.)

The best thing about Sizzlers is the dancing waitresses. I mean the female ones. :cheesy:

Edited by possum1931

7 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I've eaten the salad there a few times. Found out the so called 'vegetarian soups' , even the cream of mushroom one, are made with f**king chicken stock. <snip>

F**king Chicken stock? Never heard of that one. Is that like dancing shrimp?

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 2

I am/was quite a fan of Sizzler and go quite a  lot, I'm also not bothered by the price but we do like a quality tasty meal . I dislike restaurants that give huge portions..quality over quantity wins for me.  I certainly wouldn't consider sharing a main course with the GF just to save money or just ordering salad bar only...but that's just me . Here are a few things of note though:-

If you're talking beef steak Santa Fe is like tough old leather boots in comparison...once only ..never again.

Sizzler changed its menu 6+ months or so ago. Steak now comes on plank of wood instead of plate.(ok so far) My favorite Australian steak has done away with the std sweetcorn, peppers & lettuce garnish  and replaced it with greasy onion rings. More of a problem as mentioned is the new seasoning. Yes it tastes saltier/more msg/ flavour enhancer etc ...not so good.Even the once delicious Peppercorn Sauce tastes  full of the same. I do remember reading (About 1 year + ago) all about Sizzler saying it doesnt use any artificial this and that.. blah blah...hhmm not so sure now. Salad bar is delicious but location makes a huge difference to staff service & food quality. eg Royal Garden is not a patch on Central Festival in every way. Even a Med- Well done steak comes 100% Red ( On one occasion),  and staff forget to bring you TWO sauces , bring water instead of beer and so on. 

Fish.... yes I see they've done away with the Norwegian Cod and replaced it with a cheaper to buy alternative..it has been noted. 

In a nutshell ..Wake up Sizzler...We mostly go to the better Japanese restaurants now instead. In you're going to be relatively expensive , you need to remain good!

• Like 2

Sizzlers is a good deal and a comfortable setting for 2 hours for us. We buy main meals and drink a carafe of ice tea and the bill is always less than 800 baht.

That's a good deal for 2.5 people and blows McDonald's out the water on every level. I've never spent more than 30 minutes in a McDonald's and for 2 people that's at least 600 baht when we have been there. So Sizzlers makes more sense for us, tastes better and is a more comfortable place to relax after shopping. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

.I think he means fills up so much on the buffet salad bar that he's too full to eat the main course so takes it home. 

2 people always costs me 1400 baht.....I must learn to be more keeneow haha, but I agree Mc Donalds is a no no.

Edited by Rolanddrums
  • Like 1

Yeah the crumbled fish with chips and salad bar was my regular meal there. Sometimes just the salad bar. Mostly we went there because my wife can't get enough of the mushroom soup. But last time we went they did something wrong with the soup. We haven't been back.

I am sure we will make our way back there again some day. Wish they would bring in a another western themed restaurant to the malls. So many Japanese styled ones, which are mainly the same thing over and over. A burger place would be fine or something Italian that is not Pizza Company

• Like 1

the one at central in Surat Thani is crap, got the steak first time we went there and it was pretty good but the salad bar, soups etc were garbage, potato wasnt cooked enough, tomato was garbage as were all the other salads, total disappointment. Soups were watery and tasteless, we went back a couple of months later to see if it had improved and it was just as bad and the meat was crap as well, service wasnt the best either, long waits to be served and no follow up at all, wont be back anytime soon. Liked it when it was in Australia, thais put profits before quality the way they do it, probably so people will not go back for more.

• Like 1

I always did salad bar only in States as it included chicken legs and wings, and had spaghetti with two kinds of sauce. What are you supposed to put on that spaghetti here? Mushroom soup? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

the one at central in Surat Thani is crap, got the steak first time we went there and it was pretty good but the salad bar, soups etc were garbage, potato wasnt cooked enough, tomato was garbage as were all the other salads, total disappointment. Soups were watery and tasteless, we went back a couple of months later to see if it had improved and it was just as bad and the meat was crap as well, service wasnt the best either, long waits to be served and no follow up at all, wont be back anytime soon. Liked it when it was in Australia, thais put profits before quality the way they do it, probably so people will not go back for more.

Must admit the only one we visit is in khon kaen and soups are really good and thick. The salad bar always looks immaculate and the range looks continually fresh and replenished. 

A friend and I would meet once a month for the big New York steak and it was good but over time the price went up and the quality diminished.Fish and chips the same.They must slice the fish with a razor blade.Now I'll have the Soup/Salad bar alone and it's ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, africasiaeuro said:

A friend of mine has been doing that for over 20 years. It started off with a 69 Baht tag, now it has reached 169 Baht. I am however of the opinion that sizzlers veggies are laden with pesticides, as I always feel very uncomfortable after consumption of their salads and greens.

I am however close to 100 % sure that there is no control over the use of pesticides with their suppliers. ( Roundup ? ).

( When eating greens here in Italy there are no symptoms ).

Sizzler s other options ( bread toasted with cheese ) can be missed. All other foods grilled and likewise aren't worth the money paid.

(Though Thais mostly love Sizzler and and crowd its restaurants.)

Your post is incredibly interesting. I do get amazing acid reflux after eating at sizzlers and now think you may be correct. I barely get any reflux after McDonald's.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Do you order a beverage or do you just drink the salad dressing? :stoner:

I do not drink when I eat.

And yes OP, what else do you want to eat there ? Only salad bar is worth the price !

I always only order salad, but will it be 139 forever ?

Edited by grkt

5 minutes ago, grkt said:

I do not drink when I eat.

And yes OP, what else do you want to eat there ? Only salad bar is worth the price !

I always only order salad, but will it be 129 forever ?

With an an increase of 50 Baht it would still be good value.

I don't eat the greens.They don't taste right for some reason.Probably pesticides as you say.I stopped getting the large steaks as they were good but started to taste of too much MSG or something.This is a problem in Thailand,consistency.Places start out well but the standard drops over time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

I always did salad bar only in States as it included chicken legs and wings, and had spaghetti with two kinds of sauce. What are you supposed to put on that spaghetti here? Mushroom soup? 

Only cheese is enough.

And they also have some tomato sauce.

2 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

I always take the mains home and have salad bar for lunch

..if i have to queue outside i usually place my order when i get my ticket..or you can scan their QR Code at the door and next time place your order just as you arrive.

2 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

Mains??

..last time i went a couple sat down near us..she ordered one meal..both went to the salad bar..she once; him 6 times, plus dessert..not my business..but nothing said by staff.

3 minutes ago, tandor said:

..last time i went a couple sat down near us..she ordered one meal..both went to the salad bar..she once; him 6 times, plus dessert..not my business..but nothing said by staff.

One time I was there and the mom ordered salad and the 5 kids she came with were eating KFC in there and making a right racket.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, mike324 said:

I agree main course are overprice nowadays, the only redeeming factor is the salad bar. But one can only eat is so many times before you get sick of it. Its not great value anymore.

never get tired of the salad bar,  1-2x/month since they opened..

how can one get tired of salad and soup

• Like 1