Scaring pigeons away from the balcony

moogradod

Per the post on page 1............Netting.  We have tried everything else and nothing works long term but the netting.  It isn't expensive, lasts a long time, and in our condo the maintenance people install it for us.  

• Haha 1

Years ago in Honolulu a friend of mine and his Vietnamese wife lived in an apartel on Waikiki. The wife would trap the pigeons and cook them like Cornish game hens. Soon, they stopped landing on her balcony.

• Like 2

YES, 100% Proven .   Hang som e used CD's from the top of your balcony.  The wind and breeze cause the CDs to constantly move and reflect light randomly.  The birds are uncomfortable and never stay.  For 3+ years, I haven't had or seen a single bird on my balcony.  I used the hooks that hung the ugly netting and some wire to them and success.  View is unobstructed and it's kind of stylish.   

CD 1.jpg

CD 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In France you can buy a small black box(3 by3 inch) with batteries. It makes a very high sound that keeps the pigeons away, I’ve used them and they work. Cheap, clean, and small. Try one of the home stores.

Metro France sells them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Have a serious talk with the persons feeding them!

many thais seem to like having pigeons around and encourage this by feeding them, culturally different to back home where we work hard to discourage them. we see them as a pest and vermin, thais seem to like them so i doubt the person/people feeding them will stop.

i deterred some recently by squirting water at them - they soon learned and strayed away, failing that i'd put up netting and/or spinny shiny things

I am going to put a larger pvc pipe over my metal railing..(will slit it on one side and lever it over the rail). Hopefully it will "tumble" when they land on it, like the loggers standing on the logs in a river ...(Just hope the pigeon's balance is not as good as a loggers).

• Thanks 1

The pigeons were ruining my balcony, eggs and of course crap everywhere. Was afraid might be breathing this as it was next to bedroom. Could not stop them. Finally had maintenance install metal grating or mesh and that did it. Was a mess cleaning up their gifts. 

Finally No More! 

9 hours ago, starky said:

Pellet gun/ air rifle...pigeons are smarter than plastic owls, Hawks or rubber snakes. Once they have found a roosting spot they won't leave unless it is dangerous to stay where they are. If you are an animal lover you don't have to shoot them but instead just make life unbearable and they will go somewhere else, or shoot them if you want a quicker result lol

I am an animal lover but have no pity to shoot there air rats that shit everywhere !

• Like 1

A neighbor hangs old CD's by strings that reflect sunlight, and move with the wind -  I asked them what they were for, thinking his daughter put them there for decoration - he said scares the birds away, and pointed to his floor and and railings, no bird crap, then pointed to his neighbors, bird crap all over the place (condo is empty at this time of year) so this may work for you as well.

• Haha 1

Connect both side of your balcony wall in the edge with a rope or tread etc. Then with short pieces of rope or tread hang few useless CD's from the long rope so they can move with air . Since the CD's are shinning they get scared. Both side of CD's should be shinny . The gap between 2 CD's should not be more then 30 CM.

Good luck

21 hours ago, soistalker said:

In my condo, they seem to prefer balconies where the tenants are away. When they do come to my balcony, I scream loudly and go onto the deck and scream more as they fly away.  It seems to deter them from coming back for a while. 

The thing about pigeons is they are territorial. If you shoot one another will come to take the vacant area. That is why in town centres etc in the UK you see spikes on or wires on the areas they try to sit, thy cannot land or take off safely.  What I have done is placed taut fishing line about three inches above the perch areas. If the area is a wide sill you may have to put two along the whole length. I don't have pigeons they stay next door my favourite hate was the indian miner birds which used to sh.. every where so I have a couple of strands running across between posts on the lebiang (sorry don' t know how to spell. The Thai  word for a covered balocny outdide the house) they  no longer fly through leaving doppings on the table