Gen Prayut confirms Thailand general election in Feb 2019

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, jayboy said:

I deny it.Farmers in the North East and North would have voted PTP with or without the rice policy because they knew - and still know - who supported their interests.No need to bribe people who are enthusiastically on your side.What followed under successor governments who cynically - though probably ineffectively - copied PTP policies can certainly be called an attempted bribe.

Of course you deny it.. lets see this election if large blocks have defected the PTP then we know its all about money and rewards not party loyalty. So lets wait and see who is right. If these MP's for instance do take large swatches of people and the Thai Niyom takes people too then we know Thais are doing it for the rewards. 

On his visit to the United Kingdom, Gen Prayut had talks with the Lord of the Ring, Ralph Bakhsi about promoting fables without visa opportunities between the two countries through the so-called Global Thai hub policy and the Thailand article 44 policy, with the Thais as the leading country in massage parlours - UK Business Leadership Council isn't playing a key role in the matter. He also visited a Kindergarten in London and made many little friends.?

23795348_1831058080261281_7153579250244242309_n.jpg

Edited by jenny2017

19 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Why does he keep making these statements of when the election will be. What date was it well in America that he did not keep can any one remember? The one thing he does very well is lie.

"The one thing he does very well is lie". Well he is a politician, isn't he?  Oh! Wait!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So there it is confirmed. Prayut now only has 8 more months in which to rig the election. And we all know that is exactly what he plans on doing.

Well there are a number of things that someone in his position might feel inclined to do.  I can only come up with a hot 3 or 4, not one definite,but you probably know more than me; (not having darkside insight.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eligius said:

'Gen Prayut however, had to cut short his meeting with Thai expats due to a terror warning from security officers.'

Oh, sure! And if it is true - what a little coward. Run, run, run - and hide under the table. What a great, fearless warrior! 

Only that decision would have been made on the recommendation of the British Security Services. 

Or are you suggesting the British Security Services lied?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Only that decision would have been made on the recommendation of the British Security Services. 

Or are you suggesting the British Security Services lied?

Oh my God! Lying is just about all 'security services' ever do! "Terrorist, terrorist, terrorist" around every corner and blade of grass. Feel afraid, people, feel very afraid - and obey your protecting Government!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Eligius said:

Oh my God! Lying is just about all 'security services' ever do! "Terrorist, terrorist, terrorist" around every corner and blade of grass. Feel afraid, people, feel very afraid - and obey your protecting Government!

Sure. That's why there aren't any real terrorist attacks. Just Security Services personnel dressed up to fool us!

Best get your tin hat on quick, I hear passenger liners flying above drugging us again.

?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes he has 8 more months.. in that time he will try to convince more people from the PTP to leave their party. He has 8 more months to give gifts to the people from the state (seen that one before someone gets beaten at their own game).

Its unfair that others cant campaign that is for sure but all this defecting of MP's that just shows they were hired hands to begin with. Paid to stay with a party.. now someone made them a better offer. Now if the people stay with those MP's that defected that shows that people are more bound to their local leaders then party politics. 

Its an interesting thing to watch the fight between the junta and the PTP.. too bad that I don't like either one of them but both are the ones with the highest chances to form the next government. Though with all the defections the PTP looks weakened and Prayut might even get enough real votes for proxy parties to give him legitimacy. 

Would much rather have seen the new parties make an impact. 

The old saying: It's like watching a disliked mother-in-law back your new car over a very high cliff:   We get rid of PTP  but........... we really wanted a government from a broadly representative democracy.

Thailand is a country with a high rural population who for good historical reasons do not trust BKK or the "Elite" who they consider one in the same.  Good but relatively unsophisticated rural folk who grew up being told to trust only local leaders.......    Not having any alternative way to deal with it when it becomes obvious that the "trustworthy" local leaders have been bought......twice!!  

It is going to be an interesting election.  Fingers crossed for all of our sakes.  Still plenty of time for lots of things to happen and lots of patiences to burn out.  Just hope for minimal  bloodshed.   And perhaps time for one more desperate attempt by one (or two) desperate exilees.   Glad I do not live in a big city from right now until next March or so.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I deny it.Farmers in the North East and North would have voted PTP with or without the rice policy because they knew - and still know - who supported their interests.No need to bribe people who are enthusiastically on your side.What followed under successor governments who cynically - though probably ineffectively - copied PTP policies can certainly be called an attempted bribe.

So what was the purpose of the rice policy suggested by Thaksin then? More aimed at creating a big slush fund that could be used to bribe less enthusiastic to become supporters especially those further up the food chain? And of course create the opportunity for massive fraud, as in fraudulent export deals, shipping in Cambodian rice, etc etc.

PTP relied on the well oiled Shin machine in the North and North East and use of patronage, coercion and intimidation. Do others do it in different areas - of course. 

But let's no pretend PTP were even remotely honest. Thoroughly corrupt.

• Like 2

Confirms all the above...

cheesy.gif&key=b0b5f6c84e5a00e3f18cb05d72759c14aab74d2066f14d2ee2b29e5ecbb29970:cheesy:cheesy.gif&key=b0b5f6c84e5a00e3f18cb05d72759c14aab74d2066f14d2ee2b29e5ecbb29970… if it wasn't so sad.....

Oppressive regimes toppled successfully in many countries (correct)

60 million thais are cowards? I have no words for this. Can only assume bar stool posters were drunk at the time.

60 million thais content and doing nothing (correct )

Millions of students doing nothing (correct)

Prayuth government now legitimized in the West (correct)

Prayuth will win election by a landslide

(C O R R R EC T)!!!

All facts. Correct!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

So what was the purpose of the rice policy suggested by Thaksin then? More aimed at creating a big slush fund that could be used to bribe less enthusiastic to become supporters especially those further up the food chain? And of course create the opportunity for massive fraud, as in fraudulent export deals, shipping in Cambodian rice, etc etc.

PTP relied on the well oiled Shin machine in the North and North East and use of patronage, coercion and intimidation. Do others do it in different areas - of course. 

And will still be.

59 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Hopefully he gets another terms and ensures the complete demise of the shinawatra brigands

Could you please describe exactly what another "term" in the ELECTORAL meaning of the word, looks like in this situation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Speculate all you like though I am sure you will accept on reflection your argument about attracting supporters further up the food chain is nonsense.For what its worth my belief is that the intentions were good (and there are similar schemes in many countries).But the concept and implementation were flawed.Was corruption inevitable from the outset? Maybe so but  I'm doubtful whether it was organized:still I agree where Thaksin is concerned it's hard not to be cynical.I don't think Yingluck was corrupt at all - just out of her depth.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Agreed let's see.However you seem to have lost sight of an essential truth that voters look for policies that will benefit themselves, their families, their communities and their country.We know what the Thai people have felt in the past when they have been allowed to express a free choice.The future is more uncertain but the underlying principle will be the same as outlined above.The Democrats might reform themselves to reflect the country and not just the elite/urban middle class and perhaps one of the new political figures emerging might make an impact.The PTP is certainly not undefeatable nor should it be.Thaksin changed the rules of the game forever by taking the ordinary Thai person seriously and all political parties as well as the Junta to some extent now copy him.

Of course people vote for what benefits them, duh that is economics 101. My point is by offering them a lot you "bribe/persuade" voters that is what YL did with the rice program. (i am against such obvious popular policies) and now I see Prayut doing the same thing, as I am not like so many here on the forum looking at who did it and then decide my stance but condemn equal actions I am against this too. I am all for policies that benefit the country not just policies that get people votes. Unlike you i think its bad news the junta copies Thaksin his populist tactics. Anyway just wait and see if  the PTP scores a lot lower I as last time I then I am right, if the score at least the same as last time you will be right.

I woud not mind seeing Thaksin wiped out, problem is that would mean the junta would be so much more secure . Not sure I feel its worth that... better balance them out a bit against each other.

Speculate all you like though I am sure you will accept on reflection your argument about attracting supporters further up the food chain is nonsense.For what its worth my belief is that the intentions were good (and there are similar schemes in many countries).But the concept and implementation were flawed.Was corruption inevitable from the outset? Maybe so but  I'm doubtful whether it was organized:still I agree where Thaksin is concerned it's hard not to be cynical.I don't think Yingluck was corrupt at all - just out of her depth.

Intentions were good.. come on Jaboy, 30 billion in fake G2G deals and nobody suspected.. worse even the companies are connected to Thaksin. You might trust that is an honest coincidence.. I don't.  The original plan left the door wide open for corruption and corruption is what happened.

Just now, robblok said:

Of course people vote for what benefits them, duh that is economics 101. My point is by offering them a lot you "bribe/persuade" voters that is what YL did with the rice program. (i am against such obvious popular policies) and now I see Prayut doing the same thing, as I am not like so many here on the forum looking at who did it and then decide my stance but condemn equal actions I am against this too. I am all for policies that benefit the country not just policies that get people votes. Unlike you i think its bad news the junta copies Thaksin his populist tactics. Anyway just wait and see if  the PTP scores a lot lower I as last time I then I am right, if the score at least the same as last time you will be right.

I woud not mind seeing Thaksin wiped out, problem is that would mean the junta would be so much more secure . Not sure I feel its worth that... better balance them out a bit against each other.

Sorry it's too embarrassing to continue this discussion.You don't seem to understand the basic dynamics at work.Have you read the new military inspired constitution? Do you know what it's trying to do and why the forthcoming election is tainted? If you think it's just a Junta vs Thaksin battle, best you have that conversation down the pub.

• Like 1

Sorry it's too embarrassing to continue this discussion.You don't seem to understand the basic dynamics at work.Have you read the new military inspired constitution? Do you know what it's trying to do and why the forthcoming election is tainted? If you think it's just a Junta vs Thaksin battle, best you have that conversation down the pub.

You mean i don't follow your opninions. always when the questions get to hard you fail to debate. That is a sign of weakness I take it as this. You think your so smart but you are not your full of yourself. I never said it was junta VS Thaksin, that is what you make out of it. Its part of it, but its larger than that. I only said I would not mind to see Thaksin wiped out but with his fall the junta would get too powerful. Like it or not PTP is a big player and the junta is going after them.

What the junta is trying to do is to get democratic legitimacy and keeping full control. Everyone knows that why should i write it down all the time I assumed you understood.  

We just agreed upon seeing who was right and all of a sudden you seem to have a change of heart because your not so sure how the PTP will preform. I though I was quite fair in the terms.. they stay the same I am wrong that rice program and Thay Nihom are vote buying tactics. Lose votes.. I am right because Thai Nihom and the MP's defecting show its about buying votes one way or the other with popular policies. Wait for election and dig this up again to see who is right. I hope i remember.

An inherent flaw with democracy is the short time frame of governments. So many things in Thailand will take at least 10 years to improve significantly: education, justice, the police, the army.

The constant change of governments means things are often not followed through, especially when the incoming minister wants to leave his 'stamp' on the ministry and so deliberately alters policy to suit his agenda. 

A good case could be made out for a strong civil service with committed technocrats follwing long term goals that have been thrashed out by all political sides.

Sorry, I must stop there. I seem to have started drinking rather too early in the day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

Steven100 will absolutely love these super pictures!

We are one pardon away from a real stirring up of the hornet's nest. At least in ,my dreams......I think with the arrest and humiliation of Buddha Issara change may be a foot........Out with the old in with new.