How the Visa Exempt Entry "warning alarm" for the IO is working ?

We recently heard that is some kind of alarm notifications used when the foreigner used alot of Visa Exempt Entries.

I wanted 

Someone know how it's calculating this alarm to the IO ?

Do getting a "real" visa, make the alarm reset ?

I had a previous non-O single entry the last entry to it's good favor for me ? + before some TR visa & VEE,  beforebut I will go on Visa Exempt Entry this time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidJow said:

Someone know how it's calculating this alarm to the IO ?

After 6 visa exempt entries.

1 hour ago, DavidJow said:

No.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavidJow said:

No, even if you obtain a new passport the computer will link your name, DOB and nationality to any older passports used and your full history of entries.

Just be very polite at immigration. They have two buttons, one red one green. If they don’t like you they’ll just push the red one and you’e out of the country. An immigration official explained that as I travelled often my passport was ‘flagged’. At the time I was working 4 weeks on 4 weeks off. Quite scary how easily I could have been told to leave, despite doing nothing wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clarification really would be greatly welcomed !  There are so many differing points of view on this subject, but nothing official.  One IO was quoted as saying that there is in fact no actual limit - it is up to discretion on the day?

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

No, even if you obtain a new passport the computer will link your name, DOB and nationality to any older passports used and your full history of entries.

I have two passports a French and a British one, the first time I came to Thailand I came as a British citizen now I am here as a French citizen. Do you think it would change something should I shift passport every entries? By the way it’a theorical question I am retired on my sixth extensions:smile:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flyingdoc said:

Clarification really would be greatly welcomed !  There are so many differing points of view on this subject, but nothing official.  One IO was quoted as saying that there is in fact no actual limit - it is up to discretion on the day?

It is up to the IO and his boss what rule(s) they may make up that day if their goal is not to let you in. 

If you want to be sure that only the real-rules are followed, you can enter by land at any crossing except the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. 

It is possible that Chang Mai airport may also be more honest/consistent - but our lack of horror-story reports from there could be on account of a lower volume of persons entering there.

If the variable rules applied at Bangkok and some other airports actually exist in some official or semi-official form, it has been decided to keep them secret, so as to "trap" and punish travelers who unknowingly break them - rather than make the rules public, so everyone knows where they stand before booking a flight and plan accordingly, saving time and trouble for all concerned.

The goal would seem to be for travelers who come to Thailand more than a few times (in some unknown time-period) by air, to be terrified upon entry.  It worked on me - I never flew in, after this crazy stuff started.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I have two passports a French and a British one, the first time I came to Thailand I came as a British citizen now I am here as a French citizen. Do you think it would change something should I shift passport every entries? By the way it’a theorical question I am retired on my sixth extensions:smile:

Theoretically and with regard to Visa exempt entries, you'd probably get away with 6 entries on both passports before being questioned. 

2 hours ago, sead said:

It shows a red square in the middle of their screen with a number in it. My last number was 22. Dont know how it is calculated. My dissapeared after i got new passport. 

It's funny that, and similar to practically everyone else's experience and yet the ThatVisa i hate everyone else haters  will tell you that it's automatically linked at the kiosk with no manual intervention or separate lookup is required... ?

Edited by mekko
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sead said:

It shows a red square in the middle of their screen with a number in it. My last number was 22. Dont know how it is calculated. My dissapeared after i got new passport. 

And what did the number 22 represent.

23 minutes ago, mekko said:

It's funny that, and similar to practically everyone else's experience and yet the ThatVisa i hate everyone else haters  will tell you that it's automatically linked at the kiosk with no manual intervention or separate lookup is required... ?

When I last entered after getting a new passport in my home Country, I presented both passports as my extension and re-entry permit were in the old passport.

After a quick examination of my new blank passport, I started to explain, but was immediately stopped and told 'It's ok Sir, I have your full history here', and that was before he opened the old passport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tjinks said:

6 visa exempt entries per year or in total?

Total

But is only an alert for the officer to be aware of how many you have so they can check the type of entries they are to see if they are being done back to back to live here is the intention of it when it was created.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tjinks said:

There is no limit on the number of entries. They are only really interested in the time spent in the country as a ‘tourist’.

6x30 = 180 days which is an unofficial time spent in the country that some border points use when considering allowing entry.

You could be questioned and or denied entry for any number of entries. The decision is discretionary.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

An immigration official explained that as I travelled often my passport was ‘flagged’. At the time I was working 4 weeks on 4 weeks off. Quite scary how easily I could have been told to leave, despite doing nothing wrong.

Sounds like you were living in Thailand when not working. No one living or spending long periods in the country is meant to do so using visa exemption. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you want to be sure that only the real-rules are followed, you can enter by land at any crossing except the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. 

How does that help anyone wanting more than two entries?

Exactly the same rules/policies would be followed at land borders if more than two visa exempt entries were allowed.

16 hours ago, sead said:

I've stood in front of a Thai immigration officer -- entering & departing Thailand --- hundreds of times and never once was I in a position to view his/her computer screen. Pray tell how did you see the computer screen???

30 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

I've stood in front of a Thai immigration officer -- entering & departing Thailand --- hundreds of times and never once was I in a position to view his/her computer screen. Pray tell how did you see the computer screen???

When you get pulled and taken to the supervisor, you are no longer in the standard position of standing at the head of a queue facing the IO. This is one possibility where you get an opportunity to see the screen.

When you enter Thailand in a vehicle at some of the land borders, the immigration entries for both the vehicle and the person are done in a portacabin. Vehicle owners enter the portacabin. This is another opportunity to see the screen.

I hope this widens your knowledge.

• Like 1

In my case he invited me to view the screen, probably to show how ‘powerful’ he was.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, tjinks said:

The number of visa exempt entries is from a starting date that seems to be around the middle of 2015. The notification that the immigration official receives is to inform them that you should be "subjected to increased scrutiny as a genuine tourist". They pretty much have total discretion on whether to admit you. The likelihood of being denied entry depends on a number of factors, of which the most important is the length of your previous stays over the last year or so in Thailand. Under your control is ensuring you have 20,000 baht cash equivalent; evidence that you intend leaving Thailand within 30 days; evidence that you have additional funds to finance your stay (over and above the 20,000 baht); looking clean and well dressed; and being polite and friendly to the official.

Best of all, have a tourist visa rather than trying to enter visa exempt.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

You get to see it when called to the supervisor. I just asked if there was any problem and he pointed at the screen. 

Do the IO, can really see the visa categories, I don't mean the entry/exit data we entered previously at first sight ? and also the overstay ? even if it's a new passport ?

like TR, NON-IMM, VEE.. RE-Entry Permit..

• Like 1

that's one of the nerve breaking points in thailand - you are wellcome and can easily get in and out, but never sure when immigration will refuse your entry. there are no clear rules about it. it depands on which side the IO you are dealing with woke up, on which side you woke up (did you come your hair?), the new regulations on that day, a recent crack down on this or that and...that's it, that's the thai roullete...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

that's one of the nerve breaking points in thailand - you are wellcome and can easily get in and out, but never sure when immigration will refuse your entry. there are no clear rules about it. it depands on which side the IO you are dealing with woke up, on which side you woke up (did you come your hair?), the new regulations on that day, a recent crack down on this or that and...that's it, that's the thai roullete...

I do not disagree that it can be nerve wracking. However, if you are entering with a valid visa (as opposed to visa exempt) the reasons for which you can be denied entry (they are listed in Section 12 of the Immigration Act) are, theoretically at least, clearer than in most other countries. While you can run into rogue officials. I believe it is extremely rare (when entering with a visa) for entry to be denied improperly.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I do not disagree that it can be nerve wracking. However, if you are entering with a valid visa (as opposed to visa exempt) the reasons for which you can be denied entry (they are listed in Section 12 of the Immigration Act) are, theoretically at least, clearer than in most other countries. While you can run into rogue officials. I believe it is extremely rare (when entering with a visa) for entry to be denied improperly.

The one time I was "pulled", I had a valid (and paid for, of course) visa. Although I was not denied entry.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

However, if you are entering with a valid visa (as opposed to visa exempt) the reasons for which you can be denied entry (they are listed in Section 12 of the Immigration Act)

Not correct. The reasons for denial under section 12 apply to entering with or without a visa.

Other reasons for denial are not specified in section 12, but possible under section 16, which pretty much allows anyone to be denied enter for any reason authorised by the ministry.

• Like 1