Pompeo warns Iran on nuclear arms; hopes military force will never be needed

rooster59

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Whilst I ageee that the USA is the most powerful country around IMHO under Trump it has become less powerful, a little more beligerent and is worrying the world a lot more.

Sadly Trump's policies have everything to do with it, assuming that he has long term policies and doesn't just make them up one day and then change them a week or so later.

He has got rid of the saner, more careful and more experienced staffers in the White House and has surrounded himself by more dangerous to the world types like Pompeo and Bolton. He has ignored treaties and friendships with allies and enemies alike and IMHO he now believes that he is the most powerful person in the world and can do what ever he wants, whenever he wants with no comeback at all.

He believes in his own hype and derides anything he does not like as fake. He has surrounded himself with sycophants, flatterers and boot lickers and I truly believe that this will end badly. Who will suffer the most I am not sure but in my heart I hope that is Donald Trump and his hangers on and not the rest of the world.

Most of the Americans I have met are nice friendly people but I haven't met that many and I don't think I have met a Trump supporter in real life.

That's all very well, but not quite what the topic is about. Nothing of the above makes the case that it is a good development if Iran had nuclear weapons, though. And regardless of what one thinks of Pompeo (not much, here), in essence, what he says is realistic enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

And regardless of what one thinks of Pompeo (not much, here), in essence, what he says is realistic enough.

However, unlike Trump's bromance with Kim in Singapore  and Pompeo with Kim in North Korea to advance denuclearization negotiations, I don't expect the same friendly treatment by Trump or Pompeo with Muslim President Hassan Rouhani or Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei. No promises of a White House visit. No concerns about building trust between leaders. 

With Trump's foreign policies it's hard (especially for foreign leaders) to separate out the racial, national and religious biases from what is really necessary for America's national security.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puck2 said:

@Morch, - #24

you completely missed my point of view.

It's not about laughing Iran, it's about the world laughing at America's liability. The USA together with 7 other countries reached a deal/contract lifting sanctions against the Iran for stopping its atomic program.

The USA signed this contract. It doesn't depend who was or is POTUS. As Trump canceled this contract that means the USA isn't reliable. If you make a contract with the USA today be prepared it will cancel the contract tomorrow. Therefore it's better to make no contracts with the USA. It isn't worth the paper used for signing the deal.

That is what the Americans under Trump have to consider. A contract with Trump's signature is only useful as a toilet tissue. Trump and America would cry foul, if Kim would breach a NK-US atomic contract within a short time. The world would tell Trump and the USA, that's what you did with the Iran-deal/contract. Do you understand now: the USA a laughing stock?!

Do you believe that the other 7 nations would follow Trump and Pompeo into an made-up US-Iran war?

Your "point of view" is pretty much irrelevant with regard to the OP and my comments.

I doubt that as far as governments go, the world is "laughing". More like angry and confused. Going on about Trump being this or that, and his "policies" and conduct being other things - yes alright, been there done that.

But that aside, what Pompeo is on about reflects reality - the world having issues with the US under Trump's administration doesn't automatically make it supportive of Iran's supposed nuclear ambitions. If Iran was to violate either the JCPOA or the NPT, there will be consequences. This is unrelated to US policies.

Pompeo made it clear his statement was not a reference to military action, and I have commented on this in previous posts. Doubt there would be such a "coalition" if things deteriorate, but then, this option wasn't on even previously, so essentially a bogus argument. As for the 7-nations-following-US to war against Iran - seems like you're confused about how many signatories are involved and who they are.

Edited by Morch

9 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

However, unlike Trump's bromance with Kim in Singapore  and Pompeo with Kim in North Korea to advance denuclearization negotiations, I don't expect the same friendly treatment by Trump or Pompeo with Muslim President Hassan Rouhani or Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei. No promises of a White House visit. No concerns about building trust between leaders. 

With Trump's foreign policies it's hard (especially for foreign leaders) to separate out the racial, national and religious biases from what is really necessary for America's national security.

Not sure how the "however" relates, but just a while back Trump was calling Kim names, making threats and whatnot. Now they have a "great relationship". So while I agree that this is less likely with regard to Iran, can't rule it out completely.